Technical 1.9JTD 5-speed manual gearbox drain and fill plug location

Currently reading:
Technical 1.9JTD 5-speed manual gearbox drain and fill plug location

ruispeed3d

Hey everyone,
i have a 1.9 jtd 8v 115hp stilo with a 5-speed manual gearbox, i think accordingly to the workshop manual it's the Getrag C 538 model. I just wanted to know where are located the drain and fill plug so that i can change my gearbox oil. I have a guess on where those are but i'm not entirely sure.

The picture attached show what i think its the drain plug as it is a different type of bolt head and is rested at the lowest place in the gearbox. And there's a plug right on the top of the gearbox(same type of bolt head) that i think its the filling one.

What's your thoughts?

Attachments

• FF image.jpg
    FF image.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 694
That looks slightly different to mine, maybe because of the angle of the photo... but if it's normally obscured by the lower wheel arch inner liner, then it is the right one.

It is aligned horizontally (not at an angle, like the sump nut) and faces directly sideways, towards the left hand wheel (perpendicular to the angle of the car's travel). It's located near the bottom of the differential case, not under the gearbox itself.

The filler nut is identical. It's a female Hex located on the top of the gearbox.. facing directly upwards. It's approximately in the middle (front to back) and close to the crankcase. If you feel around under the plastic tube from the airbox, you'll find it.

To fill the gearbox you'll need 1.6 (I think) litres. Stick the long rubber tube of the first container of gear oil into the gear box hole and let it all drain into the gearbox. Then cut the bottom off the container and stuff it back into the hole. Now you can pour the rest of the oil (0.6? ltrs) from the second container into the first container, using it like a funnel.

This way it's easier to see when you have put the correct amount in and you don't spill oil all over the gearbox when you realise it's full and have to take it out quickly.

**From memory*** you need to fill the gearbox with the quantity of oil required, not leave the drain plug out until the oil level runs out of the hole.. (this is Getrag, not a usual Fiat gearbox) ...but it was a few years ago since I last did it, so I might be wrong about it.. I just remember/imagined that the Getrag box drain plug is just a drain plug... not an indicator, so check if the oil you're putting in is coming straight out.. Ahhhh Ahhhh … or look in the book for the correct quantity, tighten up the drain plug and just fill it with the correct amount.
Ralf S.

Last edited:
Hey everyone,
i have a 1.9 jtd 8v 115hp stilo with a 5-speed manual gearbox, i think accordingly to the workshop manual it's the Getrag C 538 model. I just wanted to know where are located the drain and fill plug so that i can change my gearbox oil.

All 3 plugs shown here.

Attachments

• Gbox Drain & Level Plugs Marked.JPG
    Gbox Drain & Level Plugs Marked.JPG
    425.1 KB · Views: 206
  • Gbox Filler Plug Marked.JPG
    Gbox Filler Plug Marked.JPG
    488.1 KB · Views: 185
That looks slightly different to mine, maybe because of the angle of the photo... but if it's normally obscured by the lower wheel arch inner liner, then it is the right one.

It is aligned horizontally (not at an angle, like the sump nut) and faces directly sideways, towards the left hand wheel (perpendicular to the angle of the car's travel). It's located near the bottom of the differential case, not under the gearbox itself.

The filler nut is identical. It's a female Hex located on the top of the gearbox.. facing directly upwards. It's approximately in the middle (front to back) and close to the crankcase. If you feel around under the plastic tube from the airbox, you'll find it.

To fill the gearbox you'll need 1.6 (I think) litres. Stick the long rubber tube of the first container of gear oil into the gear box hole and let it all drain into the gearbox. Then cut the bottom off the container and stuff it back into the hole. Now you can pour the rest of the oil (0.6? ltrs) from the second container into the first container, using it like a funnel.

This way it's easier to see when you have put the correct amount in and you don't spill oil all over the gearbox when you realise it's full and have to take it out quickly.

**From memory*** you need to fill the gearbox with the quantity of oil required, not leave the drain plug out until the oil level runs out of the hole.. (this is Getrag, not a usual Fiat gearbox) ...but it was a few years ago since I last did it, so I might be wrong about it.. I just remember/imagined that the Getrag box drain plug is just a drain plug... not an indicator, so check if the oil you're putting in is coming straight out.. Ahhhh Ahhhh … or look in the book for the correct quantity, tighten up the drain plug and just fill it with the correct amount.
Ralf S.
Hello, thank you very much for your insight and know how. It will surely help me in changing my gearbox oil. The plugs are exactly the same to the ones you pointed out and located. Thank You and stay safe

All 3 plugs shown here.
Hi there. You are the man, thank you very much for the pictures they have resolved my doubt. I loved that there is in fact the level plug, i really didn't know about it existing in this gearbox. It looks a bit hidden from sight and looks harder to unscrew that the others due to its location but shouldn't be too much of a deal.
Thank you and stay safe

Back