Technical 1.9 JTD major problems please help

Currently reading:
Technical 1.9 JTD major problems please help

no m8 didnt think it needed it.
it fits exactly where the other one was there dosent seem to be any ajuster ,,its fixed on a metal bracket above the pedal....no ajuster nothing near it......how do you do it..also not in the guide .........

rear brake light error still on display.
abs asr error that is still there.

brake lights work fine but they did before i changed this i only got a new one to try and stop the abs asr error and the inevitability that it will go one day.

i have just looked at my tyres never thought about them my rear ones are a bigger profile than the front could this cause the abs asr error.

Last edited:
The switch plunger is on a ratchet. To adjust it, you need to hold the brake pedal down, pull the plunger out to it's full extent (angled long nose pliers) then let the pedal up slowly. As you let the pedal up, you should hear the ratchet clicking into it's correct position.

Once it's set, never put your foot under the pedal to lift it, or it will go out of adjustment again.

Providing the overall outside diameter, or circumference, of the front and rear tyre/wheel combination is the same, it shouldn't be a problem to the ABS.

Re: Help ! Asr, Abs Failure

changed the switch
no change still have the errors.................................

going to try the wheel sensors give them a clean it mite help m8

Last edited:
that was quick m8.....thanks

the wheels are all 15" just the hight profile is different. lower profile on the front

i will do the adjustment tomorrow m8
the rear brake lights work fine obviously i tested them after i fitted this fiddly thing. man you have to be contortionist to fit it.

still got this damn problem, the wheels are obviously linked to why its sticking revs somehow.

where is the abs or tc asr diagnosis plug point at on a stilo i have cable works fine with the ecu going to lend a lab top again and see what comes up now all this work has been done.

Just merged you posts from the other thread again, best to keep it all in one place.

ABS diagnostic is in the 16 pin OBD socket at the top of the dasboard fusebox. Can't remember which pin it is.

EDIT: ABS ECU diagnostic is on pin 1 of 16 pin socket.

Last edited:
ahhhh right

i have already soldered a wire between pin 1 7 and 9 as instructed now i understand m8 they are for the data for each cpu. same plug.....
there is another one under the bonnet passenger side on the inside of the wing.
will see what comes up tomorrow it should give me some indication as to what is failing.

otherwise its clean the wheel sensors and check every connection on the whole car starting with the esp ( asr) abs systems....
grrrrr had to do that with a Renault megan took 2 days fixed it tho..

if all else fails its off to fiat once i save some money up.

Last edited:
the wheels are all 15" just the hight profile is different. lower profile on the front
That's your answer then.

ASR system will go crazy if rotation rate is different between front/rear wheels.

....but smaller wheels (lower profile) on the front would make the system think the front wheels are aren't getting any grip and are slipping slightly - which means revs should be forced low and not high :confused:

sure they aren't at the back (higher number at front) ?

because of a car accident my stilo had for a month front 15" wheels and back 17" wheels. no problem with the ABS/ASR
now i have the same problem with blinking ABS/ASR lights and the message Lose Connection ( i will check the connections and see where the problem is for that).

i know from VW's that from brake swith you can have also a preheat fault error!
have you checked that the bulbs from the rear brake lights are the corect values? when i got the car i had the same buld failure error. after checking i saw that one of the bulbs was 10w. normaly it was needed a 5w bulb. check this to...

sorry for my english.. :D

Last edited:
kind of diagnostic plug davren..............
i will have a look at those bulbs m8 thanks for the idea.

allllrighty just about fixed guys.

today i took the wheels off and cleaned the sensors the front 2 are fine just gunked up, a quick dose of carb cleaner sorted that.

the rear ones are goosed one is snapped so didn't dare remove it and the other isn't far behind. gave them a blast too. will order two tomorrow.

the car now runs fine no sticking high revs any more.

what i get now is once the car goes over 40 mph the wheel sign comes on the dash and you have no more acceleration if i then turn off the asr all works fine .....like it should..... so once the two rear sensors have been changed we should be good to go.

oh davren i looked today and cant see any adjuster plunger for the brake.
where is it located right at the back beyond the centre pivot. other that that there isn't one that i can see.

thanks guys.....

Last edited:
derrr blonde moment..............

its the actual switch plunger itself and nothing on the pedal or body of the car.lol..............

cheers davren.

because of a car accident my stilo had for a month front 15" wheels and back 17" wheels. no problem with the ABS/ASR
As said you'll always have problems with ASR (but not ABS) if any wheel is a different diameter.

Of course if you match the correct profile to wheel size so that the external diameter is the same (or very close) then it wont be a problem.

Either that or your ASR is faulty!

hi the car is running fine as long as i turn off the asr.

i adjusted the brake pedal switch .all working fine and no more rear light fail....so that's sorted.

changed the oil and filter. castrol magnitec diesel. hall-fords have a good deal on £22.95 4lt......£30 with filter.....

going to get two tyres of the same size just to be on the safe side. and to rule out any problems relating to your input argo.

waiting for the sensor fiat wanted £98 for 1 .
on-line breakers yard get this £58 second hand lol
my local uni-part company £42 luckily i know someone who works there so it will be half that price once i see him.

hopefully that will be job done... apart from the air bag warning, and heater pre heat fail
compared to what has been done that is small fry...lol

Last edited:
all sorted and working great thank you all for your time and help much appreciated................

changed the front tyres changed the sensor.

asr abs all functioning A ok the car is a lovely drive been to Wales twice in two weeks without a flicker...............

just the air bag light to sort but i ain't to bothered about that going to do a diagnostic and see what airbag problem is causing this............

overall cost for the car and repairs about £900 not bad for an 04 1.9 jtd......nice family car...and well worth the effort.

Last edited:
hi the car is running fine as long as i turn off the asr.

i adjusted the brake pedal switch .all working fine and no more rear light fail....so that's sorted.

changed the oil and filter. castrol magnitec diesel. hall-fords have a good deal on £22.95 4lt......£30 with filter.....

going to get two tyres of the same size just to be on the safe side. and to rule out any problems relating to your input argo.

waiting for the sensor fiat wanted £98 for 1 .
on-line breakers yard get this £58 second hand lol
my local uni-part company £42 luckily i know someone who works there so it will be half that price once i see him.

hopefully that will be job done... apart from the air bag warning, and heater pre heat fail
compared to what has been done that is small fry...lol

Nice to get some +ve feedback. There's a guide on here about curing the airbag warning if your hadn't spotted it...

no problem guys.
thank you all.

being nice and helping people costs nothing,
shame about fiat ecu scan and others.

i hate it when people do that they start a site give you free software don't mention the fact that later after every one has been Guinea pigs and tested the bloody stuff they get greedy and charge that's complete bull some one will hack it anyway lol.............and 49 Euro that's a joke

for £30 you can get a diag obd2 different ends and a flashing cable and all the software that you need dump files for diagnostics and mapping your own car everything my pal just got one from ebay great piece of kit it has the stilo 1.9 jtd 150 bhp dumps for the 115 mite have a try.

for £30 you can get a diag obd2 different ends and a flashing cable and all the software that you need dump files for diagnostics and mapping your own car everything my pal just got one from ebay great piece of kit it has the stilo 1.9 jtd 150 bhp dumps for the 115 mite have a try.

I wouldn't do that. Unless you know what your doing, messing with ECU's is a dangerous (and expensive) game. Go and get a professional map done if you want it :)

no problem guys.
thank you all.

being nice and helping people costs nothing,
shame about fiat ecu scan and others.

i hate it when people do that they start a site give you free software don't mention the fact that later after every one has been Guinea pigs and tested the bloody stuff they get greedy and charge that's complete bull some one will hack it anyway lol.............and 49 Euro that's a joke

It's still free AFAIK.....

gr J:confused:

yes the old one is free and buggy the new software is 49 euro or you dont get the full usage.......

i wouldn't worry to much m8 i have been flashing nand and eproms etc for many years from cars to xbox 360 lol.

easy enuf to do if you know what you are doing and electronics is my thing.....

.always back up your dump a few times then hex them to see if they are the same......that way if you mess up you can always re flash with your dump. as long as you dont over rite the boot part of the ecu or you would be goose d...... even then you could remove the chip pop it in a programmer and re flash it anyway.

Back