Technical 1.9 JTD major problems please help

Currently reading:
Technical 1.9 JTD major problems please help

Re: finaly got my jtd back sticking revs.

hi m8 it has been doing it before the head had to be done.
no change since i first got it.

i have read that but it revs at 5/6/7000 rpm whatever revs you have it at before you change gear it sticks then revs up a bit further then back to idle after 30 40 seconds. when going from 3rd to 4th it it dangerous at such high revs and wont do the clutch much good. then it just goes away as i have explained above.comes back once its been started again even if its fine and say you stall it restart problem back again.

Did you clean the oil out of the intercooler after changing the turbo? It could be running on oil. Any light blue/ grey smoke smoke?

Is it running smoothley when it revs or unevenly like it is on 3 cylinders?

Last edited:

How many hours have you been using it since it all came back repaired? I find Fiats tend to do that when the ECU volatile data has been erased with battery disconnected and it seems to keep the rpm up on gearchanges until it trims itself back down to the lowest it can do

My JTD has never done that, even after a battery disconnect.

yes i made double sure there was no oil in the bottom of the inter cooler and no debris from the old oil vapour box that smashed and caused its original turbo failure. all pipes were cleaned there was quite a bit of oil in the inter coolers bottom where the pipe fits onto it is a small basin shape.

i don't have any smoke at all other than a normal car.

maybe there is some oil on the radiator that has dripped down to the bottom i will have a look tomorrow simple job to remove the pipe and look.
i don't have any smoke at all other than a normal car.

today i was playing with the car when doing its sticking revs went over the back roads got the car up to 35xxx revs
put it into neutral the revs stayed at 35000 increased slightly and stayed there it did not go back to idle until i used the brakes and stopped the car the moment i used the brakes and stopped the car it dropped to idle still in neutral. so i repeated this several times the car revs wont go down untill i use the brakes and stop it, then it drops to idle if i just roll to a stop it still sticks . what has the breaking system got to do with the engine revs.
i do get the abs asr lights on my dash from time to .....could they be related like mixed up plug in the wrong connector.....mad...................

Last edited:

For a start, change your brake light switch. This should fix the ABS error.

It is not a fault I have seen before, but you could try cleaning the D4 and other connectors by the battery. Has the car had any water in the footwell and affected the accelerator pedal?

Maybe it is a Toyota in disguise.

The only connection with the brake pedal and the engine management ECU is to switch off cruise control if you have it.

A faulty brake pedal switch will also trigger ABS and ASR warning lights, but I've never heard of it holding engine speed high.

thanks guys i know this is a strange one i have had quite a few cars over the years and never had this problem older cars were easy to fix today its all computers and sensors.

actually i did get a rear back light fail warning once or twice but they work fine.so didn't take much notice.
will get a switch and sort that.

no cruise control that i know off m8,,

when i first got the car it had loads of dash errors i have since removed the connections under the bonet all the fuses etc cleaned with electrical cleaner and they all disappeared apart from the ones i have mentioned.

i will try the d4 behind the fuse box.

going to go out tomorrow get it to say 3 / 4xxxx revs, up hill so it can slow its self to a stop if it revs still without touching the brake pedal, and goes to idle doing the same test but use the brakes then they are linked to the problem some how.

will do the same with the hand brake. see what happens.
will let you know what i find.
cheers guys................

i do have a diagnostic cable that works with the free fiat ecu.
the tests work but i dont get any live data otherwise i may be able to pin point the problem better.

one more thing it don't matter if its hot or cold the problem goes away after a while.
i can then drive the car all day without turning the ignition off and did last Friday 450 miles to pick my daughter up and it didn't flicker all the way there until i had to restart even if its just for 2 seconds then the problem is there again then goes away again and so on..its really strange.

one more thing it don't matter if its hot or cold the problem goes away after a while.
i can then drive the car all day without turning the ignition off and did last Friday 450 miles to pick my daughter up and it didn't flicker all the way there until i had to restart even if its just for 2 seconds then the problem is there again then goes away again and so on..its really strange.

Could be the accelerator pedal. The ECU can compensate for / override the accelerator pedal if it needs to. If you try to hold the JTD engine at a fast idle on the accelerator pedal, after a few seconds the ECU will bring it back down to a normal idle and ignore the pedal. You then have to press the pedal a bit further to bring the idle up again.

hi
i have tried all the tests above if i use the hand brake to stop the engine (revs stuck high and in neutral)
the revs stay stuck until the car comes to a stop the same if i use the brakes or just let it roll to a stop no brakes the revs immediately drop to idle when the car stops however if i have the car in neutral say at 30/40 mph revs at 3/40000 as long as the car is still moving it wont drop i used a road with a slight incline so the car gradually came to a stop the revs stuck until as above the car was at a stand still as soon as it is, it goes to idle, so as long as its still moving even if its say 10 mph it stays stuck untill the car stops.
very strange i have tested this several times same outcome but what would cause this.

going to test your idle idea now.

Last edited:

just been and tested your idle test m8 my car does nothing it stays wherever i put the pedal it wont drop until i take my foot off.

i got some carb cleaner today.
going to remove the egr, throttle body etc and give everything a good clean wont hurt even if the problem is still there once done.

right guys get this..................

the high revs i have been having i have finaly tracked it down to when it starts and stops doing it earlier in the thread i spoke of the asr abs light on the dash, well i decided to do my rev test again going along 30000 revs dip clutch choose neutral revs stick until car has stopped as it did in my earlier tests. however my abs and asr light then came on and i tried the test again this time the revs were fine so i have repeated this several times now and can conclude that once you start the car the revs will stick when changing gear untill the abs asr failure light comes on then the revs are fine.. it does it every time but the abs abd asr come and go..so took me ages to do..its strange that when the car has no errors it has stuck revs but when the asr and abs fails it works fine........they must be linked

i guess they are some how anyway as asr and abs is the breaking system and traction control but i thought that worked buy braking the wheels that need it..to.........

today i went to hallfords and the AA guy with his van was out side so i got cracking to him and told him the car story he reckons that the brake switch could cause such an anomaly as it is linked to the brain and the breaking system also is linked to the asr so could cause this problem

in theory i think he mite be right as the forum has many threads about the brake switch.
ordered one at my local a1 motor stores £10. so will fit it today and post results.

going to relocate the boost valve before it bytes the dust lol.....
going to be a fiat tech when i am finished lol.

The only connection with the brake pedal and the engine management ECU is to switch off cruise control if you have it.

A faulty brake pedal switch will also trigger ABS and ASR warning lights, but I've never heard of it holding engine speed high.

this could be a first m8....

Last edited:
Re: Help ! Asr, Abs Failure

stilo 1.9 jtd
i have an abs asr failure on my dash its fine after a restart then comes on whenever it feel like it.

getting a new brake switch as this can cause these errors and in the end it will go anyway sooner or later common fault on fiats i believe.

if it isn't this this then it only cost me £10 if it solved the problem then great......
will post tomorrow.....................

..its strange that when the car has no errors it has stuck revs but when the asr and abs fails it works fine........they must be linked

i guess they are some how anyway as asr and abs is the breaking system and traction control but i thought that worked buy braking the wheels that need it..to.........
It sounds to me like MSR is activating :chin:

If the rear wheels spin faster than the front then the system assumes the front wheels are sliding and increases revs to try to compensate. Since it can't compensate (as you aren't sliding) then I'd guess it will eventually shut down ASR/MSR

Unless you really have got smaller wheels on the back then it's got to be a bad connection somewhere in the circuit I'd think.

hi guys i changed the switch (what an awkward little beeeeeep. lol. easy but very fiddly you have to position yourself just right.

this made no difference at all the rear break light warning is still there and the high revs still there untill the abs and asr fails then its fine.you can feel the car just pull back as this fails.

going back to the thread if this revs high until the abs asr fails and when rolling to a stop either using the brakes or gravity the revs dont drop until the wheels have stopped pull away and it is still sticking then its fine once the abs asr fails so the wheels have a part to play in what is causing this problem i believe there are 4 sensors one on each wheel i was going to disconnect all 4 this way the abs will fail or the car will think that it has stopped so the revs should be fine and not sticking.

i have no idea what to do next.
this was a problem before i had any work done on the car.

THIS IS WHAT THE CAR HAS HAD SINCE I GOT IT,.

TURBO

HEAD SKIMMED AND GASKET ROCKER GASKET

CAM BELT AND TENSIONER.

CLEANED THE EGR AND THROTTLE BODY

RELOCATED THE BOOSTVALVE.

NEW HEATER PLUGS

ELECTRICAL ERRORS FIXED WAS FUSE BOX NEAR BATTERY JUST DAMP WITH THE OTHER WORK BEING DONE.

the car runs very smooth and nice to drive once the revs have been fixed this will be a good car and has only cost me about £750 for an 04 jtd 1.9 stilo bargain.......

Back