Technical 1.7 diesel fiorino head gasket, HELP.....

Currently reading:
Technical 1.7 diesel fiorino head gasket, HELP.....

trev-b

Hi all,

I think I've blown the head gasket on my fiorino van when the alternator belt went twang and i tried to limp home with steam billowing from under the bonnet, (yeh I know it's stupid now), changed the belt but now there is a distinct loss of power, it cuts out on idle and is a sod to start and i need to know where I can find the proceedure for replacing it, you know manuals ect.
I've been told it is the same engine that is in the uno 1.7d.

Is there a downloadable guide that could help ?

The van is a fiorino 1.7d, (non turbo), 1998, (R reg).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Brilliant, doesn't seem to hard for my ability, :bang: , but I could realy do with the head bolt torq settings and proceedure, could you help once more ? and thanks for the help so far, you've been a wealth of information.. (y)

Hi Trev,

See Attached :)

I’d go for new head bolts too. See https://www.fiatforum.com/showthread.php?t=25235

-----------------------------------:confused:-------------------------------

Can anyone please confirm that cylinder block and crankcase are the same part :confused: :eek:

I’m asking as the diagram ( Page 95) suggests the cylinder head fits onto the cylinder block where the torque wrench settings list 100Nm + 90 degrees + 90 Degrees for “Cylinder head to crankcase fixing, bolt (M12 x 1.25)” ( Page 23 ).

If so that’s loads more than for petrol engines :eek:

-----------------------------------/:confused:-------------------------------

Attachments

• 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 218
  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 175
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 176
  • 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 186
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 174
My .DOC is too big to attach – had to upload in .JPG :D

They really should reprint the Porter Uno Repair Manual (ISBN 1-899238-23-9, FIAT part number 46000980, Porter Part Number: PM 3823)!!!!!!!

Attachments

• 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 177
  • 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 463
  • 024.jpg
    024.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 143
  • 025.jpg
    025.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 150
  • 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:
Head bolt torq settings will have to much higher on a Diesel due to much higher compression ratio ie about 20-22:1. If you did it less then the gasket would leak.

Cheers

Matt

Am I correct in assuming it's the cylinder head to crankcase fixing bolt M12 x 1.25 settings I need and is there any time lapse before turning through 90 degrees ?

Cheers once again..... Trev...... (y)

Cheers Matt - makes sense:)

Hi Trav,

I’m not 100% sure this is the setting you need :eek: (hence my above cylinder block/crankcase question).

I think the time lapse between the + 90 degrees is the time it takes to tighten the other bolts in the order on page 97 step 3 – ie go round bolts and tighten each to given torque, then go round in order again twisting each 90 degrees, and same again.

I've never done a head gasket - think you can tell ;)

Thanx again,

I am having a crack at it this weekend, if all goes well I'll let you know..... If it doesn't you'll probably hear about it :) Wish me luck.......

Trev.....

P.S. If there are any interesting pics to be had I'll share them with ya....

:cry: OK, firstly needed a ribe spline tool to get the head bolts out with, (guy sold me a 12mm which was too small and split when trying to tighten the bolts up), eventually got a 13mm which was still a bit small but completed the job.
Could'nt get the lower timing belt cover off for love nor money but still managed to get the timing belt off and the new one on.
Did'nt need the special tools required to set the timing up but it would have been quicker, (a lot of trial and error needed).
Got everything back together and started her up and guess what..:bang: .. nothing.

Timing spot on and got fuel there but still nothing, (and yes I did check the fuel cut off was OK)

Fiat guy looked at it and commended me on the work I'de done but had to take the head off again and check the cylinders were holding compression by pouring a little diesel oil into the cylinders and seeing if it ran away, and guess what, it did.
so with piston rings knackered and an engine overall looming managed to source another engine with 44,000 on the clock and hopefully this will do the trick.

But never the less an education stripping the head off and a great deral of help gained from this site for which I'm truly grateful.
Once again many thanx and I'll certainly be dropping by again, (probbably pretty soon),

Back