Technical 1.6 Strada Gearbox Seals

Currently reading:
Technical 1.6 Strada Gearbox Seals

Reginald Pillay

Hi i have a 1.6 elx strada i have been changing the Gearbox seal almost annually. sometimes the clutch needs replacing as well. is there a problem with putting aftermarket seals?

You don't specify which gearbox seal?

When it comes to many vehicle components, including gaskets, seals, bearing, whole gear boxes etc. then generally all manufacturers source these parts (custom designed or not) from other manufacturer's often referred to a OEM suppliers. So a Fiat gasket P.No.123456789 which may be stamped with Fiat will come form a quality OEM gasket manufacturer such a Spesso (https://spesso.com/) who also serve the "aftermarket".

Also the OEM (say gasket) is produced to aggressive price targets and in some cases can be inferior to their aftermarket enhanced products.

An example of this would be those semi rigid grey gaskets used on cylinder head applications. The enhanced after market version come with the silicon rubber beading (often red/orange in colour) that give a superior and longer lasting seal compared to those without.

So basically there is no problem with OEM aftermarket, OR aftermarket from a "quality" manufacturer.

Often you have no choice as Fiat have a good reputation of "NLA" (no longer available) :)

You don't specify which gearbox seal?

When it comes to many vehicle components, including gaskets, seals, bearing, whole gear boxes etc. then generally all manufacturers source these parts (custom designed or not) from other manufacturer's often referred to a OEM suppliers. So a Fiat gasket P.No.123456789 which may be stamped with Fiat will come form a quality OEM gasket manufacturer such a Spesso (https://spesso.com/) who also serve the "aftermarket".

Also the OEM (say gasket) is produced to aggressive price targets and in some cases can be inferior to their aftermarket enhanced products.

An example of this would be those semi rigid grey gaskets used on cylinder head applications. The enhanced after market version come with the silicon rubber beading (often red/orange in colour) that give a superior and longer lasting seal compared to those without.

So basically there is no problem with OEM aftermarket, OR aftermarket from a "quality" manufacturer.

Often you have no choice as Fiat have a good reputation of "NLA" (no longer available) :)
the Spiggot Shaft seal that sits between the gbox and clutch. when the seal or bearing collapses it throws gearbox oil onto the clutch plate. we have replaced the clutch kit, releaser bearing and bearing and seal on the spiggot shaft all seems fine but for another year maybe.

could it be a pressure release plug blocked??
Yes indeed. Look for a dome shaped breather on the top / upper surfaces above oil level. Personally I've never come across a blocked breather but if the gearbox oil is old and has high water content then there will be emulsion build up and add a few iron filing/gear swarf and this can get clog up anything.

When I had my Fiat 600D cleaning the centrifugal oil filter on the end of the crank with the grey compacted sludge was always an eye opener.

Back