Technical 1.6 - fuel starvation?

Currently reading:
Technical 1.6 - fuel starvation?

tash

as only a girl would say, i am so, so glad that i took out breakdown cover

my stupid 1.6 dynamic bust on me today. i was driving it the other week and it decided to totally shut down on me when i was driving on a dual carriage way. which is dangerous as hell

the damn car then decided to do it again today. i managed to get it started again, only for it to make it 100 yards down the road and do it again. this time the car had absoloutly no intention of restarting

i called out the AA and after runninga brief diagnostic they found that the problem is 'EVAP EMISSION PURGE VALVE'

now theyve said that this problem could basically either mean that there is something physically blocking the petrol getting to the engine or that the cars computers are gone haywire and the electrics arnt tellin the petrol to go.

i know it may seem like im just on here to have a moan about my damn car, even tho i am a bit, id just like some advice on whether to take my car to the fiat dealers directly or to another garange and what kinda price range im looking at for a problem like this.

ta!

main dealers charge an arm and a leg tho. somethin tells me fixin this acar aint gonna come cheap

it could get very expensive. but dealers do have all the spot on diagnostic machines there to tell you exactly what the problem is. backstreet garages dont have any of this equipment, although they do have snap on scanners which arent always very accurate. chip the stilo in and get JTD one. problem solved.

main dealers charge an arm and a leg tho. somethin tells me fixin this acar aint gonna come cheap
That depends - build a relationship with the dealership, get discounts - I tend to be offered 20% off parts and labour, which makes the bill more manageable (y)

So it starts ok then somewhere along the route you get Duuuuuuuuuuuuuhh and engine stop- then it won't restart. Then it's fine for a while and then the same happens again?

Sounds like possible rpm sensor problem. If the ecu doesn't know what the crank position is and what rpm it's doing it won't allow fuel in. Seem to be getting a spate of these lately

It's difficult when it's intermittent but some contact cleaner on the rpm sensor connector won't do any harm at all and when it's not starting then I'd check for voltage signal output from the rpm sensor with engine cranking

Last edited:
That depends - build a relationship with the dealership, get discounts - I tend to be offered 20% off parts and labour, which makes the bill more manageable (y)

My local Fiat dealer tends to price match.

Think they may be a little peeved with me now. I used to fund their holidays AND Christmas bonuses with the amount of money I spent on the car... Now that I find prices for them to match, I only have to fund their all inclusive holiday to the Maldives! (y)

Does anyone else on the forum ever think about taking shares out on fiat aftercare? :rolleyes:

i know its been absolutely months since i started this thread but i thought id post a conclusion.

after months of intermittent cutting out and my car basically becoming an expensive death trap, my mechanic managed to solve the problem.

it turned out to be a relay in one of the wires burning out which meant no signal was gtting to the petrol pumps and my car was cutting out. one day the relay went all together and my car died. turned out to be the best thing it cud have done as the mechanis fixed it in a couple of hours.

ive now got a problem with my exhaust but thats another thread. one thing is safe to say, next time i will be buying a brand new car with 1 million years warranty.

Glad you got it sorted (y)

If you had a lamborghini you could afford another car as well as that though so it wouldnt matter if that went wrong lol.

And there ownd by Audi now so are a bit more reliable. Wish fiat was co-owned by toyota and let them do the electrics etc etc lol so that they would work and leave fiat to the designing :D

Like deliver my car on time....
I ordered a brand new Coroller and only to cancel it because they cannot deliver it on time, even worst, they try to force me to take a pre-reg car which will cost me the same as the one I ordered, it is not the spec. I wanted, not the colour I wanted, i dont want that car basically, so I cancel it, take my £1000 deposite back (took 3 weeks to get it back!!!), go across the road and bought my Stilo, Thank you toyota by not deliver my car on time, I wouldnt have my stilo otherwise.

I ordered a brand new Coroller and only to cancel it because they cannot deliver it on time, even worst, they try to force me to take a pre-reg car which will cost me the same as the one I ordered, it is not the spec. I wanted, not the colour I wanted, i dont want that car basically, so I cancel it, take my £1000 deposite back (took 3 weeks to get it back!!!), go across the road and bought my Stilo, Thank you toyota by not deliver my car on time, I wouldnt have my stilo otherwise.

LOL :D

Its crappy vauxhall dealer that stopped me from getting a 80bhp 1.7cdti astra life (y), instead i ended up with stilo :rolleyes:

Destiny
heart_50_50.jpg
Stilo

Back