Technical 1.6 Driving me MAD!!

Currently reading:
Technical 1.6 Driving me MAD!!

Sianypop

Hello!
Just wondered if anyone could help or have experienced anything similar. I bought my stilo 1.6 active 53 plate in october and i have noticed a weird knocking noise mainly when im in a low gear and acelerating. Ive taken it back to the garage twice now and they just keep saying its pinking and not to worry. They said to put the V-power unleaded in as this would help but its not at all, ive filled my stilo a few times with v-power and its exactly the same.

I decided to get a 2nd opinion and they said it definately shouldnt be pinking, so i took it back again and they were hacked off i took it elsewhere but were still adament its pinking. I dont know what to think as I know very little technically about cars.

Has anyone else had this prob??

Thanks, Sian

Well here's a 3rd opinion.
"It definitely shouldn't be pinking":)

What concerns me is that you say
i have noticed a weird knocking noise mainly when im in a low gear and accelerating
If it was pinking you'd hear it more in higher gears when accelerating ie under heavy load, like going up hills
Also you say
ive filled my stilo a few times with v-power and its exactly the same.
This concerns me for 2 reasons
1) you shouldn't need that in your engine-something wrong if you do
2) it should have reduced pinking if that's what it is

If you had a knock sensor problem I'd expect you to have an engine warning light and fault codes coming up

Noises are tricky to describe. Put a video up on utube if you can. Pinking is a kind of "ting ting" sound when you're pushing power in at low revs with the engine under load

Nice day for messing about with engines:)
Who's going to be the first to hit a flood and shovel a load of water into their engine and wreck it?

Last edited:
Noises are tricky to describe.

Nice day for messing about with engines:)
Who's going to be the first to hit a flood and shovel a load of water into their engine and wreck it?

You certainly got that right Decks [first part ] but you could say that about many thread diagnoses that come up on here..and we have to start some where dont we..

Second part is that I know of a member on here [this section ]that took off his GSR and fitted back his OEM filter box and survived a flood which tells me that the standard airbox is doing a mighty fine job of keeping water out of the intake system..:D so we can now make merry rain or shine..:p

Yes a low scoop is what they used to use on steam engines for picking up the water- remember them? same effect on cars with a low air intake

Really bad here today- like the end of the world-keep getting power cuts -just inflating my boat:)

Last edited:
Back