General 1.4 owners! (and maybe 1.2)

Currently reading:
General 1.4 owners! (and maybe 1.2)

Hi lads, I know some of yee 1.4 and 1.2 owners on here have lowered your Stilo and was wondering what lowering springs yee use and how much it dropped by? I'm planning on getting new lowering springs for my Stilo, so any help on the matter would be appreciated. I'm looking for a 40mm drop around, as i not happy with how my eibachs dropped on the front of my 1.4. Oh and pics wpuld be great :D

Cheers folks! :)

1.2, dropped 35mm, tho its startin to settle in a bit now and i think its def went down a few mm in the last month.
spax springs, same for 1.2 - 1.8 i think
looks well, no probs with them, the reference is S010047 or something like that, but sure u can find that out for yourself. il post pics this weekend, as im a student, lol

Cheers for your reply.

The thing i'm worried about is that I got Eibach springs for my 1.4 and the box said for the 1.2 to the 1.8 and it lowered the back by 40mm, and the front by around 30mm, so am looking to get the front lower as my Kyros front bumper sits up a bit to high..

Cheers for your reply.

The thing i'm worried about is that I got Eibach springs for my 1.4 and the box said for the 1.2 to the 1.8 and it lowered the back by 40mm, and the front by around 30mm, so am looking to get the front lower as my Kyros front bumper sits up a bit to high..

I wouldnt want to take it any lower on the front for one the drive shafts will be at an even greater abnormal angle and more strain put on them and secondly with your front bumper sitting nearer the ground it will be easy to wipe it out on some speed bump I had constant agro with mine when I first put my kit on ..then I had new springs which raised it a little more ..I was getting really peed off with being unable to take my car into certain parts of the city where I live always scraping it on some peice of crap road :bang:

I wouldnt want to take it any lower on the front for one the drive shafts will be at an even greater abnormal angle and more strain put on them and secondly with your front bumper sitting nearer the ground it will be easy to wipe it out on some speed bump I had constant agro with mine when I first put my kit on ..then I had new springs which raised it a little more ..I was getting really peed off with being unable to take my car into certain parts of the city where I live always scraping it on some peice of crap road :bang:

But Phil ya see if ya saw it in the flesh, you'd see it isint that low at all, and if it went down maybe another 15/20mm it would still be drivable and not that low! The drive shafts would be something to be concerned about though I must admit...

But Phil ya see if ya saw it in the flesh, you'd see it isint that low at all, and if it went down maybe another 15/20mm it would still be drivable and not that low!
I reckon the 1.2/1.4's must start off a lot higher than the other models then :confused:

My JTD is down 35mm and you'd have to be crazy to want it any lower.

Mind you I did come across one mechanic who suggested I should lower 60mm.

I said to him "You might want to get the jack out every time you come to a speed bump but you can count me out!" :D

Mind you I did come across one mechanic who suggested I should lower 60mm.

I said to him "You might want to get the jack out every time you come to a speed bump but you can count me out!" :D

I can remember trying to get a trolley jack under Seraphs car at a rolling road day ..needed to get his airbox off to fit his induction kit on ..he has a 35mm drop and I couldnt get the jack under the damn car had to get him to lift the body up under the wing so I could push it under :eek:

Bit late I know, but I used Koni -35mm springs on my 1.2....and it didn't work on the front at all, total waste of £115. It's worth remembering that mot springs are designed for the enitre petrol range up to 1.8, and the 1.2 and 1.4 engines are much lighter than the 1.8 (1.4 & 1.4 use the same block I believe) so there's less weight to compress the springs fully.

I'll be forking out for the full Eibach prokit eventually, available through a company in Germany for roughly £290 including all tax and delivery.

Surely theres more 1.2/1.4 owners on here with lowered cars????

Hi, First of all sorry for my bad english, and sorry for my not so good phone camera :)

I have bought form here : http://www.ricambituning.it/ a nice set of SPARCO lowering kit for my 1.4.
It is a 40mm lowering kit
Mesured lowering was arround 4cm front and 3cm back (somwhat less, and on the pictures they aren't still settled, mesures were taken immidiatly after fitting)
here are some pictures in order: back normal, front normal, back lowered, front lowered, car normal, car lowered and last pic - SPARCO set)
Lowering brought some fun to driving, better (impresive) cornering (must thank to Dunlop SportMAXX-es too) , harsh ride over speed bumps, terible feel over potholes. The car feels a lot stiffer, but also is more prone to "self steering" on damaged asphalt from the heavy trucks. Also i have noticed that now it can much easyer "touch" the bump stops of the shocks. and feeling is preety bouncy on uneven roads. (think i shuld order those bilstein b8-s)

Attachments

• DSC00158.JPG
    DSC00158.JPG
    243.9 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC00160.JPG
    DSC00160.JPG
    251.7 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC00162.JPG
    DSC00162.JPG
    255 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC00163.JPG
    DSC00163.JPG
    243.1 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC00161.JPG
    DSC00161.JPG
    419.5 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC00166.JPG
    DSC00166.JPG
    409.7 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC00155.JPG
    DSC00155.JPG
    552.9 KB · Views: 12
Lowering brought some fun to driving, better (impresive) cornering (must thank to Dunlop SportMAXX-es too) , harsh ride over speed bumps, terible feel over potholes. The car feels a lot stiffer, but also is more prone to "self steering" on damaged asphalt from the heavy trucks. Also i have noticed that now it can much easyer "touch" the bump stops of the shocks. and feeling is preety bouncy on uneven roads.
Good to read a completely honest post on lowering for a change (y)

Good to read a completely honest post on lowering for a change (y)

Oh, and there is more! :slayer: I love the way the car doesn't "sink" while braking, and love the direct whay the power goes to the wheels, without first lifting the nose of the car. Acceleration feels faster and more resposive, and same with the stering. No way to go again on standards unless, I "kill" the gearbox while parking on the sidewalks.:shrug: Unfortunatly lowest point of the car is bottom gearbox mount, with some alloy extensions on it that hit the edge of the sidewalks when my right front wheel is on the sidewalk, and left wheel is still on the street. I will try to take pictures tommorow and see if i can grind them somehow, i think they are absolutely unnecessery. :hm:

Edit: Here is a drawing of that mount.. it is actually part of the gearbox casing that is catching on higher sidewalks

Attachments

• Under.jpg
    Under.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
well heres a pic, the cars dirty :( but anyway gives you a good day, its still sittin on its standard 15" rims which im gona change when i get the money but it gives you an idea of what the SPAX springs do. i have to say the wheels sit lovely inside the arches without any problems with going over ramps etc

Attachments

• 100_03642.JPG
    100_03642.JPG
    768.7 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
i have the 1.2 active model. 17" alloys will be on the car very soon, if not 18" lol. theres a bit of a gap in the front arch but the wheels coming level with the arch in the rear not that tht matters, lol.

thats the only other pic i have which kinda shows the car lowered, rest i have are of the front and rear where you cant really notice it

il take more photos when i get it finishd, door handles etc are primed at the minute so gona get them painted during the week

Attachments

• 100_0367.JPG
    100_0367.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 10
No way to go again on standards unless, I "kill" the gearbox while parking on the sidewalks.:shrug: Unfortunatly lowest point of the car is bottom gearbox mount, with some alloy extensions on it that hit the edge of the sidewalks when my right front wheel is on the sidewalk, and left wheel is still on the street. I will try to take pictures tommorow and see if i can grind them somehow, i think they are absolutely unnecessery. :hm:
I'd leave well alone if I was you. Just checked on my JTD and the next lowest point is pretty much the gearbox housing and you don't want to crack that :eek:

Back