Tuning 1.4 16v Engine in 1.2 8v

Currently reading:
Tuning 1.4 16v Engine in 1.2 8v

RhysPoulton

Just wondering,

Would putting an engine from a 1.4 16v Punto into a 1.2 8v Punto mk2-b be a direct swap?

If not what work would be needed to be done?

Or even what engines do fit in with minimal work?

Thanks,

Rhys

Last edited:
The amount of work for the power gain isn't worth it in my opinion. The 8v is a good engine. It's even non-interference so it will keep on running even if you manage to neglect it enough so that the cam-belt snaps.

The amount of work for the power gain isn't worth it in my opinion. The 8v is a good engine. It's even non-interference so it will keep on running even if you manage to neglect it enough so that the cam-belt snaps.

Thanks for your replies you two, yea doesnt seem worth it at all, for what i could buy a 1.2 16v or it would, probably cost me to swap one haha. ill leave it for now. Now then onto the next question, i know that im never going to get my "1.2 Fiat Punto" into a fast car, but what are some decent mods to do just to gain abit of nippiness?

Rhys

Thanks for your replies you two, yea doesnt seem worth it at all, for what i could buy a 1.2 16v or it would, probably cost me to swap one haha. ill leave it for now. Now then onto the next question, i know that im never going to get my "1.2 Fiat Punto" into a fast car, but what are some decent mods to do just to gain abit of nippiness?

Rhys

Basically, Drive into Halfords backwards and drive out again. Sorted (y)
I don't actually think there's much you can do to get more power. Maybe give the engine some TLC might regain a few ponies. What mileage is it on? Also what variant of Punto is it? :)

People are pushing 85-90bhp out of the 1.2 8v engine, so yes, something can be done. New cam, port matching intake with head, polished ports on head, polished throttle body (no need to enlarge it, although everyone does this), decat exhaust, gsr intake kit and a remap. Some of it is practically free, if you know what you're doing. But generally tuning isn't cheap.

Hi mate,

its in fairly decent nick, its done 65,000 miles, and just had a refurbed gearbox and brand new clutch. its the 2004 Fiat Punto Active Sport (MK2-B) 1.2 8v.. Bought it cat c with one registered female owner, got it repaired and resprayed so now its okay, going to get it serviced begginning of next month.

im not too clued up on what im doing, but my Dad can do a decent amount of work when it comes to cars, so ill put it to him. Nice-one :p

People are pushing 85-90bhp out of the 1.2 8v engine, so yes, something can be done. New cam, port matching intake with head, polished ports on head, polished throttle body (no need to enlarge it, although everyone does this), decat exhaust, gsr intake kit and a remap. Some of it is practically free, if you know what you're doing. But generally tuning isn't cheap.
I flow tested my smoothed throttle bodies, 36mm was good for max 80hp and 40mm for ~100hp. 42mm is max size but 40mm is big enough for me :D

These are the flow tested ones:
WP_20140124_025.JPG

So the original is good for maybe 70-75hp?
08042011032.jpg

Hi mate,

its in fairly decent nick, its done 65,000 miles, and just had a refurbed gearbox and brand new clutch. its the 2004 Fiat Punto Active Sport (MK2-B) 1.2 8v.. Bought it cat c with one registered female owner, got it repaired and resprayed so now its okay, going to get it serviced begginning of next month.

what kind of cat c we talking about here?

just slight damage, the lady must of scraped down a lamp post or somthing pretty aggressively, but because theyre cheap cars the insurance write them off like theres no tomorrow, on the plus i paid £180 for it :D

I flow tested my smoothed throttle bodies, 36mm was good for max 80hp and 40mm for ~100hp. 42mm is max size but 40mm is big enough for me :D

These are the flow tested ones:
WP_20140124_025.JPG

So the original is good for maybe 70-75hp?
08042011032.jpg

Funny how it's possible to push 200bhp on a 32mm throttle body then.. ;) Obviously not on this specific engine - but if it's good on a 1.8, then it's more than enough on a 1.2.
But I guess we'll see what happens with mine - have cam and decat in plan for now, and will of course polish the TB

Last edited:
These were tested with intake manifolds. Same bench is used for cylinder head porting. Should have tested cylinder head with 866 camshaft also but didn't have spare at that time :D

Which only goes to show how terrible of an intake manifold is on this engine.. ;)
But reworking that isn't exactly cheap. Then one might as well go all in with separate TB's :D

Vizard managed to get silly power from Austin Mini A Series with a single 1.5" SU carb and no fancy engine management.

A throttle body will always flow more than a carburettor as its not got to create a pressure drop to atomise fuel. Slimming down the cross shaft and Loctite on the screws improved a lot. Chamfering the throttle valve leading and trailing edge removes another source of disturbed air flow.

Inlet ports should all the same length and avoid curved tubes as they lead to more flow towards some cylinders than to others.

Reworked ports on the old engines involved a lot of metal removal. Modern engines are a lot better out of the box but stuff can still be done. The main aim is to have them all flowing the same and all heads/piston tops to be the same so individual compression ratios don't vary.

The biggest gains are made at partial valve open which is where the valve spends most of it's time. Peak flow matters only at flat out full throttle.

Check out Vizard's You Tube videos. The detail A Series stuff (e.g. scatter cam) is academic but the basics are the same.

Vizard managed to get silly power from Austin Mini A Series with a single 1.5" SU carb and no fancy engine management.

A throttle body will always flow more than a carburettor as its not got to create a pressure drop to atomise fuel. Slimming down the cross shaft and Loctite on the screws improved a lot. Chamfering the throttle valve leading and trailing edge removes another source of disturbed air flow.

Inlet ports should all the same length and avoid curved tubes as they lead to more flow towards some cylinders than to others.

Reworked ports on the old engines involved a lot of metal removal. Modern engines are a lot better out of the box but stuff can still be done. The main aim is to have them all flowing the same and all heads/piston tops to be the same so individual compression ratios don't vary.

The biggest gains are made at partial valve open which is where the valve spends most of it's time. Peak flow matters only at flat out full throttle.

Check out Vizard's You Tube videos. The detail A Series stuff (e.g. scatter cam) is academic but the basics are the same.

He also says no point in polishing the ports. A good emery smooth finish is all you need.

Back