Bravo 1.4 16v 90bhp yes the slow one

Currently reading:
Bravo 1.4 16v 90bhp yes the slow one

Andy mcguire

Hi guys I have the 90bhp bravo on a 2007 plate Im not under any illusions that it's supposed to be a rocket however I don't expect it to lose speed when pedal is firm to the floor for argument's sake going on the motorway even the m54 which is no way hilly by the time I have built up enough speed to go into 6th if I'm on the smallest incline it starts to lose power to the point it starts to get slower I've been told it could be a blocked fuel filter even though I carnt seem to find it or the air flow sensor is faulty but would this not trigger a light on the dash? Any ideas what could be the cause would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance

Hi :)

There is 1 climb..eastbound approaching Telford
I had a campervan WITH A 1.4 !!
it could find hills :eek:

Ok : your bravo

Fuel filter will be in the tank..built into pump ;)
Not generally a service item.. (or problem)

To me.. if you are in 6th..revs are not that high.. so fuel supply shouldnt be that stretched

Tell us more about the car.. miles.. oil and water consumption ?
Thermostat in good order?

Charlie

Last edited:
Hi Charlie thanks for the response car has done 111k but when I got it I replaced the cat clutch auxiliary tensioner and belt car runs fine thermostat had been replaced before I had it oil and water consumption are both fine air filter and spark plugs changed run it on bps ultimate petrol it drives nicely apart from having no sort of acceleration but when any slight incline speed decreases even with pedal flat to the floor starts first time 99.9% it the time idles well not really lumpy at all no engine lights are coming on been on a diagnostic before spark plug change and no faults found

Sorry forgot to mention timing belt was also done at 100K

Is it definitely timed right.. 1 tooth out isnt always obvious.. apart from when needing power ;)

Big test for me when starting to look deeper:

Pull out all 4 spark plugs..
Line them up in their order

Compare the colours.. then the gaps ;)

Colour changes indicate burn issues

Let us know what you see :)

As far as i know mate it was timed right at the second time of asking as the first time mechanic did it there was a rubbing noise and it drove aswell as it ever has I will get him to check it again as I'm sure it's still under warranty and I could get him to check the plugs even though they were replaced less than 5k ago I've put some redex in just in case it's something blocking the fuel from flowing as it should but I will get back to you with my findings would it make a difference that I used an after market cat?

Back