Technical 1.3 Multijet '04 fuel filter leaking

Currently reading:
Technical 1.3 Multijet '04 fuel filter leaking

ferrymanr

Any suggestions why the fuel filter on my '04 Multijet 1.3 diesel engine should start leaking. Can't see any cracks and am having problems finding source but the outside of the filter casing is wet with fuel right up to the top connector. The gearbox and it's control couplings are also soaked in fuel. Ruddy weather doesn't help tracing problem. Filter has not been changed for a couple of years or more and has not leaked until now.
Richard

Filter replacement is probably well overdue!
I has been suggested that a blockage somewhere (or even an injector) can increase fuel pressure in the filter and cause a leak.
The old girl is going into the garage on Wednesday to let them sort it out - at a price!
Richard

Filter replacement is probably well overdue!
I has been suggested that a blockage somewhere (or even an injector) can increase fuel pressure in the filter and cause a leak.
The old girl is going into the garage on Wednesday to let them sort it out - at a price!
Richard

A blockage would only be caused by a lack of fuel filter change

Ziggy

The Filters on these is a poor design, requires a special tool to open and close and is a bugger to seal properly after a change.

If its well over due the rubber seal could be breaking down. the pressure in this is phenomenal and thats just the first stage as the high pressure pump comes after this filter, a blocked injector would cause it to run badly but not any sort of leak in the filter assembly as the high pressure pump and fuel return system would deal with this.

He's a video of the filter change showing its not that hard to do but you really have to make sure the filter housing is tightly sealed afterwards

Back