Technical 1.3 Diesel Dualogic Gearbox

Currently reading:
Technical 1.3 Diesel Dualogic Gearbox

okenkou

Hi.

We have a 500L (2014 - Just out of Manufacturer Warranty) and wondered if there are any known issues with the Dualogic Gearboxes. I rang a local dealer and they said there are no known issues or no software upgrades available but am not so sure!!

When driving sometimes it comes up with a red warning light with a massage along the lines of Auto Transmission failed. Check Manual or something like that. And it doesn't go into gear and just stays in Neutral.

After fiddling about with for a bit with some random series of events its fine again. This could be a simple restart or switch off, put in neutral start again etc. Not quite sure what the magic series of events is to get it going again.

Would appreciate any suggestions

Hi.

We have a 500L (2014 - Just out of Manufacturer Warranty) and wondered if there are any known issues with the Dualogic Gearboxes. I rang a local dealer and they said there are no known issues or no software upgrades available but am not so sure!!

When driving sometimes it comes up with a red warning light with a massage along the lines of Auto Transmission failed. Check Manual or something like that. And it doesn't go into gear and just stays in Neutral.

After fiddling about with for a bit with some random series of events its fine again. This could be a simple restart or switch off, put in neutral start again etc. Not quite sure what the magic series of events is to get it going again.

Would appreciate any suggestions

Hi, :)
did you get the fault codes read after this..??:confused:

I suspect it's probably that the fluid level has dropped a little,
or it needs purging or air,
the purging can be done sat in the drivers seat:cool:

Charlie

Hi Charlie.

Thanks for your input. Not in a position to get the codes read at the minute.

How can the air be purged and also how can we check the fluid levels and top up. I was under the impression these were sealed units. It is a 2014 Popstar model. (In the UK, just in case there are different ones in Europe or in the states.)

Last edited:
I'm not sure about what the actual fault could be, though I don't think the dealers response of there being 'no known faults' with the Dualogic gearbox is particularly honest - they can be a right pain, as the 500 section will show!

However, if the car's a 2014 example, whilst it'll be out of the 2 year manufacturer warranty, it should still be covered by the 3rd year. This is a 'dealer warranty' but it's essentially a continuation of the previous 2 years and you shouldn't expect problems being turned down for a warranty claim if the Dualogic gearbox has gone wrong. The only thing there might be a charge for is the diagnostic fee, usually about £70, which they'll refund if they find a fault which is to be covered under warranty. It's just the slightly a*se-about-face way Fiat deal with potential warranty claims, but might've come as a shock if you're used to other manufacturers!

I'm not sure about what the actual fault could be, though I don't think the dealers response of there being 'no known faults' with the Dualogic gearbox is particularly honest - they can be a right pain, as the 500 section will show!
I seem to remember particularly with the 2014 500Ls there were specific problems with the dualogic which required a recall and software update but could be wrong about the year.

I have a 500L semi auto. 3 times now it will not go into any gears. Red transmission error light on.

So..
What diagnostics have you performed?

Scanned the Gearbox system for errors needs a good reader ( alfaOBD..MES)

Things you can do easily:

1, Check all brakelights work correctly
2. Operation of reversing lights

Then the fluid level of the gearchange robots operating fluid (normally in a 'screenwash style' clear tub)

Information is laid out in the GrandePunto section :)

Hi I have a similar problem. Fiat 500l 2014 semi automatic gearbox. Car showed a check transmission light but was driving fine. Parked car and when I came to drive it again it will start but won't drive.
Any ideas please??

Check that Rear Brakelights work

And reversing light

Beyond that.. check that the gearbox isnt wet with oilyfluid ( the special fluid lives in a plastic tank on top)
Low fluid messes up the systems operation :)

Hi the brake lights and reverse light are both working. Can't see any leaks. But noticed this fluid level is low. Is it the transmission fluid? (Tank is to the right of engine)
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_20220710_152251.jpg
    IMG_20220710_152251.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20220710_152342.jpg
    IMG_20220710_152342.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20220710_152302.jpg
    IMG_20220710_152302.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20220710_152448.jpg
    IMG_20220710_152448.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 41
Check that Rear Brakelights work

And reversing light

Beyond that.. check that the gearbox isnt wet with oilyfluid ( the special fluid lives in a plastic tank on top)
Low fluid messes up the systems operation :)
Oh and it's also making a buzzing sound when the drivers door is opened and key is turned into 1st position in ignition 🤔

Hi

Yes that looks like the fluid reservoir :)

The pump for that fluid is supposed to run when the drivers door is opened ( building pressure..ready to drive)

Maybe the sound has changed if it is pumping air?

Fiat.Alfa.Chrysler will stock small bottles of the fluid

Only fill to MIN mark.. then see if the level drops quickly ;-)

Hi

Yes that looks like the fluid reservoir :)

The pump for that fluid is supposed to run when the drivers door is opened ( building pressure..ready to drive)

Maybe the sound has changed if it is pumping air?

Fiat.Alfa.Chrysler will stock small bottles of the fluid

Only fill to MIN mark.. then see if the level drops quickly ;-)

Thanks
On closer inspection the fluid level is just above min already. Any other ideas that could be stopping the car from moving? Had a diagnostic done on it which brought up a code with description : clutch closed position seltuned - signal above allowable range
Garage said car might need a new clutch kit, slave cylinder, dual mass fly wheel, actuator and relay

Back