Technical 1.2 v 1.4 (petrol)

Currently reading:
Technical 1.2 v 1.4 (petrol)

Hi everyone,

Forum noob here so be gentle please. :)

I'm after a used Grande Punto and have done alot of research lately (recalls, common problems, no so common problems, engine size, price etc), but I can't seem to decide whether it's worth forking out more for .2 of engine size. I've heard that the 1.2 is a bit underpowered for the size of the car.

I'm not a weekend track thrasher or boy racer, but I'd like something to help me along with overtaking and going up big hills easily (hilly here).

I own a second generation Punto which is coming upto 10 years old now, and fancied a change so I'm choosing the Grande.

I would say go for 1.4 to be safe, but is there really that much difference? (yep I've looked at torque and power outputs). :chin:

If its going to be used mostly in town the 1.2 is fine, else get the 1.4.
Some people on here (MJet,TJet) crowd will say either are slow but from my point of view (and having owned both!) the 1.2 is fine for driving about town. The 1.4 is slightly better out of town - feels more refined and is defiantly better on hills. Neither is going to win awards for overtaking but again the 1.4 is slightly better.
The bonus of the 1.4 is although it might costs slightly more up front the on going costs (servicing, parts, fuel) is the exact same as the 1.2, in fact on fuel the 1.4 may be a little better.

My wife's 1.2 (S reg 1998 Punto) out-accelerates my new 1.4 Grande Punto.

Maybe the GP has still got some loosening-up to do (only done 2500 miles) but it does confirm that the 1.2 GP isa definately under-powered.

i have a 1.2 active, its my first car but im bored of the thrashing i have to give it just to get upto a decent pace. im currently looking to upgrade to a 1.4 16v as im coming just about to complete my first year of driving, so insurance would be a little cheaper.

1.4 it is then. :) Can't seem to find many 1.4 actives, don't want a sport because where I drive I'll end up with a sore arse.

The Grande is a good 200KG heavier so no great surprise there.

Yea but...............

Mk1 5-door weighs 890Kg and produces 60HP at 5500 rpm (and 98 Nm of torque)

GP 1.4 3-door weighs 1025 kg and produces 77 HP at 6000 rpm (and 115 Nm of torque)

So the Mk1, each HP has to drive 890/60 = 14.8Kg

For the GP it only has to drive 1025/77 = 13.3 Kg, about 10% less

So on paper the GP looks slightly better powered.

Yea but...............

Mk1 5-door weighs 890Kg and produces 60HP at 5500 rpm (and 98 Nm of torque)

GP 1.4 3-door weighs 1025 kg and produces 77 HP at 6000 rpm (and 115 Nm of torque)

So the Mk1, each HP has to drive 890/60 = 14.8Kg

For the GP it only has to drive 1025/77 = 13.3 Kg, about 10% less

So on paper the GP looks slightly better powered.

not if its a 1.2 16v mk2 punto then it'll have 80bhp and has similar pace to the 1.4 16v 95bhp grande.

I came across the 1.3 multijet available for lease. Only gripe is the thing would probably sound like a tank. 190NM of torque sounds tasty.

Back