Technical 1.2 Petrol Panda Engine Management light on permanently, reduced rpm, top speed 15mph

Currently reading:
Technical 1.2 Petrol Panda Engine Management light on permanently, reduced rpm, top speed 15mph

masha

Engine management light came on today half way home - I limped home on hazards at 15mph and its stuck in that state (as user book said light flashing implies catalyst damage, solid light implies excessive fuel consumption)

I've disconnected the battery, added £5 fresh fuel (as put £10 in from Asda for the first time ever this morning - phoned store tonight to ask if had any problem with petrol today, they said "no" ofcourse typical!) but still the same on restart.

Can anyone advise what to check this weekend, before I get it recovered to Fiat for diagnostics.

Matthew(n)

I'm going to drain the fuel out today (I have a transfer pump at home) - limped home about 1.5 miles in it - it seemed quite happy to run but only upto 2000rpm and 15mph unless Asda actually put diesel in their petrol tank I'm sure there's not diesel in it, and a phone call to the garage they said they'd not had any probs. yesterday morning.

If the cat had crumbled (wouldn't expect this unless the cat is of shocking quality) then it can restrict performance as it simply blocks the exhaust). But it wouldn't limit you to 3000rpm, it'd just be sluggish.

I don't suppose there is any visible damage to the cat is there? Example you've crushed it going over something?

Just a thought.

A good point/thing to check but, Cat should be fine on this 1200 (its 4x4 with the big metal guard over the front section)

Right then - I've plugged in and error reader reports
"Motorised Throttle Body Fault"

I'm going to start a new thread linked to this.

Back