Technical 1.2 8v Oil feed - drain

Currently reading:
Technical 1.2 8v Oil feed - drain

MultiRacer

joArA
Hello,

If i'd install an oil cooler or turbo it will need an oil feed. Now I saw these 2 plugs next to my oil filter. The upper one is on the same level as the oil pressure sensor so I assume that's a high pressure line. The question is what is the second plug which is under the high pressure one? Can it be used as oil return from turbo / cooler?

Or is there any other high pressure line I could get a feed from?

joArA
https://imgur.com/a/joArA

Cheers!

840A3000 1.2 8v 1999

Last edited:
I can't imagine any reason why an 8V 1200 could ever need an oil cooler, or a turbo either for that matter.

With a cooling system in sound condition, the little engine just doesn't get hot enough in a temperate climate to overheat its oil, unless you drive at full chat the length of the M1 in which case you will get several other problems well before any oiling troubles.

Change your engine oil and filter every 5000 or so and drive within the legal speed limits and forget all about fancy bolt-ons that will just cost money and serve no purpose.

And be aware that every joint and elbow in the high pressure oiling circuit means less flow, you may well have 4 or 6 bends in the cooler leg, each bend is an obstruction, you may see good oil pressure on your gauge if you have one fitted but the oil flow will be less and that's what counts.

Back in the days when engines were designed by engineers, oil coolers were fitted along with an oil thermostat, which bypassed the cooler when the oil temperature fell to a certain level, and switched it back in again when it rose to another level. But these days the engineers are nowhere to be found, engines are now designed by cost accountants and marketing executives.

Forget it.

if you do turbo conversion use top one to feed turbo, oil return from a turbo is just gravity, there is no pressure there, it needs to be much wider i.e. at least as wide as the turbos oil drain with no restrictions and as straight down as possible. Usually you would weld a barb fitting or similar on the sump itself and have the line go to there.

Oil cooler wise, which as above you do not need but very good to have one if you fit a turbo, you again need a bigger line. Best option there is a thermostatic sandwich plate that goes between the oil filter and where it screws onto. You want a thermostatic one or the oil will never warm up under normal conditions.

Back