Technical 1.2 16v engine change - torque settings and ring gaps question

Currently reading:
Technical 1.2 16v engine change - torque settings and ring gaps question

Yasho

Hello all,

I have a 2002 1.2 16v Sporting, and the engine has more problems than I feel like solving. I got an engine from another 2002 1.2 16v with automatic gears and it looks pretty decent inside, so I'm going to use the whole thing. I don't suppose there is any real difference inside the engines themselves between the manual and automatic transmission versions of the car, though correct me if I'm wrong about this, please.

Real problem is - I am going to change the piston rings, but I don't know two things:

1 - what is the correct measurement I need to get for the new piston ring gaps?

2 - what is the correct torque settings I should use when refitting the pistons?

Literally the only two things I need from the Haynes manual, but don't seem to be in there...

Any help from someone who knows/has done these operations will be greatly appreciated!

I had a look in my Haynes. the Torque for the big end of the connecting rod is held by a cap to the crankshaft. That is in the first section for in car maintenance. Big end torque .

The ring gaps are in 2C

Strangely the larger bigger crankshaft main bearing cap torques do not seem to be there

I had a look in my Haynes. the Torque for the big end of the connecting rod is held by a cap to the crankshaft. That is in the first section for in car maintenance. Big end torque .

The ring gaps are in 2C

Strangely the larger bigger crankshaft main bearing cap torques do not seem to be there
Thank you, I'll give it another look

According to my old Autodata Manual, Punto 1.2 16v 1999-08 Engine no. 188A5.000 Main bearings stage one 20Nm, stage two tighten a further 90degrees. Big end bearings stage one 20Nm, stage two tighten a further 40 degrees Always try and confirm settings from another source and use a good torque wrench.
Re the piston ring gaps, modern rings should come pre gapped, however I always check them down the bore with a feeler gauge using a piston to push the ring down square, the old school rule was 3 thousand of an inch, per inch of bore for water cooled engines. i.e. 3 inch piston = 9 thousands of inch gap. You will have to do the conversion. When rebuilding engines I was always over generous with oil around pistons, rings and bearings etc. A little smoke on first start up in preference to a dry engine! Obvious use your discretion owing to cats etc. on modern vehicles. I am assuming you are not having the engine rebored etc. as the engine shop usually likes to supply their own parts.
So if not boring I would suggest a light hone with the three carborundum spring loaded stones on a slow electric drill with oil in a cross hatch fashion just enough to take the glaze of the old bores, this allows the new rings to bed in nicely.

According to my old Autodata Manual, Punto 1.2 16v 1999-08 Engine no. 188A5.000 Main bearings stage one 20Nm, stage two tighten a further 90degrees. Big end bearings stage one 20Nm, stage two tighten a further 40 degrees Always try and confirm settings from another source and use a good torque wrench.
Re the piston ring gaps, modern rings should come pre gapped, however I always check them down the bore with a feeler gauge using a piston to push the ring down square, the old school rule was 3 thousand of an inch, per inch of bore for water cooled engines. i.e. 3 inch piston = 9 thousands of inch gap. You will have to do the conversion. When rebuilding engines I was always over generous with oil around pistons, rings and bearings etc. A little smoke on first start up in preference to a dry engine! Obvious use your discretion owing to cats etc. on modern vehicles. I am assuming you are not having the engine rebored etc. as the engine shop usually likes to supply their own parts.
So if not boring I would suggest a light hone with the three carborundum spring loaded stones on a slow electric drill with oil in a cross hatch fashion just enough to take the glaze of the old bores, this allows the new rings to bed in nicely.
nice, thank you :) just had another question pop up - do you know what voltage the injectors work with? 12V? I'm thinking of taking them out for some cleaning.

nice, thank you :) just had another question pop up - do you know what voltage the injectors work with? 12V? I'm thinking of taking them out for some cleaning.
I have done things with common rail diesel injectors but have no first hand knowledge re the petrol ones, though I think there was someone on the Forum testing and cleaning them using a 12 volt supply, so I suggest you check before "powering up";)

I have done things with common rail diesel injectors but have no first hand knowledge re the petrol ones, though I think there was someone on the Forum testing and cleaning them using a 12 volt supply, so I suggest you check before "powering up";)
Thanks!

Back