Technical '07 active 1.1 losing power /injection light on

Currently reading:
Technical '07 active 1.1 losing power /injection light on

dante giacosa

okay!

This is embarrassing!

My lovely 169, recently passed onto my sister, which has had a fault-free life all it's years, has suddenly started to lose power and display the yellow injection system EOBD control-system warning light.

It's an '07 active 1.1, with about 89k on it. It's seen good servicing and is in largely terrific nick.

I am under no illusions; the car will have to see a garage immediately to have the codes read; this thread is not a tout for a 'cost free fix' black-magic resolve; more for opinions on likely causes ahead of it's appointment.

Is the 1.1 single-point injection? How much is there to go wrong?!

Thanks for your help Panda-fans

active petrol doesn't have an injector error light as far as I know

do you mean this one

most problems are simple and cheap to repair. But we don't have enough info to move forwards yet

temp.png

most people except Fiat would call that the engine check light

the engine computer has detected a problem somewhere I the system

you can not from the lamp tell where

ignition
fuel
misfire
numerous sensors

thanks koalar-

yes; I suspected that was the case; I wondered if someone with 169 knowledge would be able to say this is a classic symptom; "meaning..."

But if the outcomes are too numerous to narrow down; then fair enough...

oh-

thank you for your 2nd response;

I don't have that information actually; however it would seem likely; yes;

although 'losing power' is the only literal description I have...

if its running on two cylinders (likely) you can diagnose the problem with a basic tool set and swapping parts over

but reading the codes often save some time

yes the warning light comes on for numerous reasons and in itself can not tell you whats wrong

A cheap code scanner will tell you the error message.

Otherwise you can get a good idea with an IR thermometer. Start the engine from cold and point the laser at each exhaust stub. The ones that are not firing properly (if at all) will warm more slowly. This will not work on a hot engine as heat soaks across the exhaust manifold.
  • If it's one cylinder only its probably a spark plug or its lead.
  • If its 2 & 3 or 1 & 4 then its a coil. Replace both coils & leads and be done with it.
  • If it's any other combination then do a cylinder compression test to rule out head gasket.

From all those years in a 1.1 panda

I tread that as a 'lambda' - emissions check

It goes out @2 seconds after car has started

So I am back to the Plugs..leads and Coil packs

Coil packs do just quit..!!

Mk1 punto..with the same 1108 seemed bad for this.

Let us know what you find.

Probably find you can buy plugs and a coil pack for the cost of Garage diagnostics ;-)

Being a 1.1..
There seems to be a pattern of Wiring niggles ( ECU- coil pack..?) Our 2004 never did it ( for the 15 years we drove it..) but it gets a regular mention on here

Hopefully just a failed plug..
Cheap and simple
normally starts as a misfire / cutting out over bumps, cornering, accelerating or braking
OBD error codes are normally injector or coil circuit error

unless the above is the happening I would ignore it as a fault

Once the wires have been roughly wiggled and / or the ECU connectors been off a few times then its a whole different ball gain.

whereas every cases where it hasn't been mess with first has been a simply fix of cable tying the ECU connector down.

Or just pour some water on the manifold before starting.. see which one dries slowest when you start the motor
never tried that one, Free is always good ✔

if its failing at idle, most do. I just pull the injector connectors one at a time. The one/ones that have little or no effect are the ones not firing correctly

The other coil is the same age so it's always wise to buy a new pair. £12 each from S4P
https://www.shop4parts.co.uk/?name=store&op=Product&ProdID=987
New plug leads also make sense for what they cost.
I got two coils from the scrap yard when mine went, but only changed the faulty one. Kept the other as a spare never needed to use the other car did 200K before I got rid of it

they can go on there own, or when the spark plug gap gets too large

Under £30 so nearly half as much again in postage.

Last edited:
Back