General '06 4x4 Uneven tread wear?

Currently reading:
General '06 4x4 Uneven tread wear?

AndyK

Spotted that this was in the common faults list, but both front tyres are wearing much much quicker on the inside edges. Do i need to get the camber/tracking changed when i get them replaced? It is presently on (Goodyear?) Duelers,are these OEM fit?

Cheers! (y)

"Bridgestone" Duelers were the OEM fit but aren't available now.
A lot of Pandas have had front wheel steering geometry issues. However, on my Climbing, the Duelers wore unevenly on the front, an issue that disappeared when they were replaced by Hankooks.
Try to find a workshop that will carry out a full geometry check before fitting new tyres if you are seriously concerned.

So whats the popular tyre choice now then? still looking for something similar/all weather?

Wintracs or something as i recall? I remember Henry Metcalf fitting them to some exotica in EVO magazine for a spin round switzerland.

If the're good enough for a Mazza... :)

Pete, Hillhopper on this site, is raving about his Vredestein snow tyres so they might be worth a try.

Wintracs or something as i recall?

No, not Wintrac (that's a winter-only tyre). I fitted Vredstein Quatrac2 -- an 'all season' tyre but 'good enough' to carry the official 'snowflake and mountain' symbol that many European countries require tyres to have to meet the legal standard as a snow tyre, as well as M+S markings. And, as the videos posted in the 'Its OK, I survived' thread show, they worked really well. I bought from MyTyres online, but later (after getting a non-repairable puncture in one) found a local tyre depot that sourced them faster and at a lower price. Check the Vredstein website to find a dealer/fitter near you. MyTyres is the UK end of a German company and with the exchange rates as they are, they are now an expensive way to source these particular tyres.

With my original Bridgestone Duellers, I always felt the car pulled to the left but the tracking was spot on. But with the new tyres it runs straight. I wonder if there was an issue with the Bridgestone quality control, maybe?

Pete

(Just noticed: this post is my 444th -- a nice looking number?)

Last edited:
In a bizarre but unrelated piece of synchronicity I too fitted Quatrac2s at about the same time as Pete and can only agree that they have been a revelation on the 4x4.

The only issue at the moment is that the cold weather means the brakes don't work very well until warmed up a bit, which is a little worrying when I live at the top of a slope! :eek:

Cheers for the advice, Quatracs it is! Good pics and video there Pete, We have had hardly anything in west cumbria. There's a bit on the hills though, might encounter some 4wd fun this weekend :)

Just back from Val D Isere in France where the local council have decided not grit/salt the roads due to complaints from the rich set about salt ruining their posh shoes!!

Good to see a few panda 4x4 about including a hideous green cross........ anyway had a look at a few that were fitted with winter tread and STUDS, now i think Geoff (buff)Hoon would approve of that! just been out for a spin in the snow in my yellow climbing Panda here in the Midlands and its still snowing.......when the current road type tyres expire i shall be fitting Verdies

Back