General '05 Active Sport 8v

Currently reading:
General '05 Active Sport 8v

Have just test drove one, it feels great, will have to get used to 5th gear though :p

I am asking for experiences from members who have had one, should I look out for anything

Ive ordered my Fabia from a company like this.

All they would do in your case, is use a normal Fiat dealer and buy quite a few Puntos/Stilos (whatever) from them in bulk so they get discounts. Some of that discount is passed on to the customer so we get the cars cheap. Its just like buying one from a showroom, you get everything as normal- warranty/breakdown/tax etc. If you got a problem with it you'd take it to your local Fiat dealers, and they'd fix it under warranty as usual.

I'll let you know how I get on with mine, if you havnt got one by then ;)

Although you should be able to get at least £1k off the list price of £8495 at a dealer without much persuading. Punto's will be coming down in price from now onwards due to new one appearing in September & being on sale early 2006.

wolfracepunto said:
Ive ordered my Fabia from a company like this.

All they would do in your case, is use a normal Fiat dealer and buy quite a few Puntos/Stilos (whatever) from them in bulk so they get discounts. Some of that discount is passed on to the customer so we get the cars cheap. Its just like buying one from a showroom, you get everything as normal- warranty/breakdown/tax etc. If you got a problem with it you'd take it to your local Fiat dealers, and they'd fix it under warranty as usual.

I'll let you know how I get on with mine, if you havnt got one by then ;)

ah i understand now, i just thought they be dodgy cars that be stored or no-one wants cause they faulty

hopefully i will have a new car by the time you get yours although it will mean living of bread and water :(

i saw the pics of the new punto, so i was hoping the older ones will be coming down in price or they gonna get rid of them on 0% :D, well heres hoping

I've just got rid of my 54 reg Active Sport. It was a nightmare! The doors were mis-aligned, the handbrake made an awful noise when it was pulled up, and the front pads sounded like they had no pad material on them. I could go on if you want, and I won't tell you how much trouble I had with the ECU or wipers....

Maybe you found a good one. I've just lost about £1500 on mine 'cos I couldn't stand it any longer. Lets hope my Panda's a lot better.
BTW, make sure you find a good dealership or you'll be in ****e street :confused:

EDIT: How about the new Panda? They're a lot better than the Punto IMO, and mine's a lot better on petrol than my Punto was. Depends what sort of motor you want though mate (And if you're a big lad like me it could be a bit of a tight fit)

Last edited:
im going to travel to find a right dealership, have you posted about your troubles elsewhere cause i could do with having a browse through them :)

I've not *touch wood* had a single problem with mine, its been brill since the day I picked it up & my local Fiat are excellent too. I think there's always a duff one in there somewhere & your just unlucky if you get it.

At least you only lost £1500 tho, it could've been alot worse! They seem to lose value so quickly, it nearly put me off buying one altogether. If your planning on keeping it a couple of years like me tho I suppose it evens itself out, sort of.

catswhizkers said:
I've not *touch wood* had a single problem with mine, its been brill since the day I picked it up & my local Fiat are excellent too. I think there's always a duff one in there somewhere & your just unlucky if you get it.
lol excellent fiat in rochdale - pmsl thats the funniest thing ive heard all day :p

I have never bought new as i couldn't stomach the depreciation.

However between myself and my wife we have owned 13 cars on the last 9 years and had a lot of fun with a lot of cars that we couldn't have done if buying new all the time.

I say - let some one else take the financial loss - and you have all the fun!

specs78 said:

I readed all the reviews on carsurvey.org for fiat punto 1999-2005 4 days before i bought my car. Strange more then half reviews are describing the car as awfull. Common problems were: Clutch replaced at 800 miles from new , ok it happens , but then again after another 2000 miles? It's obvious that the person who wrote that doesen't know how to drive, i had my clutch on my old car replaced at 110.000 km (and it was produced in 1983 so far more inferior to new punto;s). One even wrote this: Clocks had 4000 extra miles. New clocks fitted. and just scroll down and you will see this: Distance when acquired 36000 miles. Other things:
# Seems to scratch easily. :bang:
# New 5th gear fitted at 25,000 miles.
# Wipers and cat faulty.
# problems with wipers, coolant, cat, gearbox and dashboard replaced.
# Looks good but falls apart all too easily.
# Returned for numerous faults which were never rectified beyond driving
the car off the forecourt.
# Mystery cold-start problem were quickly rectified by dealer.
# New rear suspension and new sump gasket. Far too much time spent at Fiat garage for a new car.
# Rear suspension faulty from new - constant knocking. Took five visits to
Fiat dealer before it was fixed.
# Rust under front grill. (yea right after only 2 years? he''s garage was obviously in some lake or pond)
# Terrible customer services. Nice car, but can’t rely on Fiat UK.
# Gear linkage gears ropey.
# Rust around engine mountings. Dashboard dropping to bits. lol
# Cylinder head crack/piston wear - not covered by warranty!! (it is covered by warranty here checked that)
# 2nd gear notchy - jumps out.
# 2 sets front brake discs and pads/rear shocks - 25,000 miles only!!
# Bearings and differentials gone completely. (he can't understand its's NOT 4x4 offroad drive it on asphalt for god sake)
# Clutch replaced twice.
# Water ingress, rattling trim and de-misting. :confused:
# Oil leaks, camshaft problems and persistent noise when idling.
# Moisture in headlights. (what he misses to write is that he prolly bumed he's car in something and had to replace the front cover glass and after that "he forgot" that he need to apply silycon glue to make it fixed)
# Oil doesn’t Circulate well when cold, hence knocking kind of noise - fine
once warm. (what kind of oil? perhaps used one)
# Very rough. First gear has to be forced in half the time. (learn to drive and save the clutch)
# Indicator switches its self off.
# Loads of electrical faults.
# Appalling handling. The worst of any supermini. No steering feedback. (no steering feedback? TURN OFF THE CITY MODE moron)
# Engine pinking. 3 dealerships were absolutely inept. (what he means by pinking :shakehead )
# Steering, poor finish, no interest from supplying dealer or Fiat. Once
bitten, as they say (pff smart arse)
# They never replied to my letters - it"s been about 7 weeks now. (letters? HELLOUUU we have phones and internet in this century mate)

and so on. I readed all this and many toughts started to trouble me i must admit. Then i spoked to at least 15 people here who own punto's mk2 and they just laughed about this. Its a car. Maintaine it keep it up and it will run, now and then something may fail but as i said it's a car. Even if you spend 100,000 euros on some car it doesen't mean it will run without flaws. I had my fiat 128 since 1983 (first owned by my father) and it is still working as swiss clock the engine is still intact but i do maintain it.

Last edited:
Back