Technical 04 jtd 115

Currently reading:
Technical 04 jtd 115

comdot

Hello All,

After some advise as I have a few issues with my Stilo.

I was getting intermittent airbag errors that seemed to be connected to the passenger seat. Found loose wire and reconnected so hopefully that's sorted.

Have started getting preheat failure errors and will run the guide for working out what's causing it at the weekend.

I have some pretty hairy steering / breaking / front end suspension issues that I'd like some advise on;

1. Pulls to the left under acceleration
  2. Loud bang and jolt under very heavy breaking
  3. Steering wheel jerks right if you rapidly back off accelerator
  4. Steering wheel pulls back to centre under breaking
  5. Grinding noise on full lock - either direction
  6. Generally very vague steering

Car has done 90k, only 15k of that with me and I suspect maintenance was minimal before my stewardship.

Do any of you fine people have any suggestions? I am suspecting that it's a combination of front end suspension / drivetrain wear? Maybe drop links + anti roll bar links plus maybe cv joints?

Does anyone have any pointers that may help me diagnose?

Thanks a lot.

Comdot

I think you are already on the right track.

the banging noises could be:

calipers
HUb
suspension/shocks/mounts
drop links almost certainly
driveshaft very possibly
CV joint definately if you have clicking at full lock-but again, could be driveshaft-get the wheel off and see if you can push it back and forth much.

check your calipers, i dont like the pulling to one side, maybe one is sticking. have a sniff after a drive, is it hot/smelly? what state are the pads in? are the discs smooth or uneven, you can do that when cool, just run your finger up and down the disc, youll feel if its smooth or "bumpy".

Well I would be looking at both front wishbones to start with. Drop links will normally rattle but you can source these on eBay for next to nothing so you can put them on the shopping list.

I have pretty much the same with mine at the moment, I do have a wishbone to replace and both front wheel bearings to do.

Mine is very loose on the front and back end too.

Preheat is just glow plugs wanting replacement.

The pulling is a bit weird, it actually pulls true under breaking ie back to centre from the fact that it generally pulls left under acceleration, and it pulls slightly left with no acceleration / Or input at all, presumably tracking out too.

The whole thing feels like its on it's last legs!

Oh one more thing, it is very very rough on idle and has been sin I've had it, fuel Eco is spot on and it pulls strongly etc so I don't think it's anything major fundamental.. Any ideas?

comdot

Sounds like the wishbones, I had that when my drivers side one went. The jolting and movement.
Well if your wishbones are moving then your wheel is hence your tracking will be out. Dont expect it to wear tyres evenly ever. Mine has aways worn the inside of the tyre first and i have to remember to get the tyres turned.

Do the wishbones and both drop links first that will tighten the front up and then have the tracking checked, Then if need be look at springs and shocks next.

Last edited:
Do the wishbones and both drop links first that will tighten the front up and then have the tracking checked, Then if need be look at springs and shocks next.

As its a JTD. Make sure you get the correct wishbones as there are 2 type's. Nominal bore of the bushes aft and fwd are important. Either 12.5mm or 14mm is required. Some forum users here have made the mistake of buying the cheap pair on ebay, and then say they do not fit, reason they do not fit is they bought the wrong size bush bore.

Most cases a JTD 115 is a 14mm bush.

Also a further note, if you are going to change the wishbones and the droplinks, while you are doing it change the anti roll bar " D " bushes, many a owner forget to do these. Follow the ARB from the droplink bottom bolt and 30cm along on each side you will see the " D " bush. Easy peasy to change.

Right then I have some work to do this weekend.

I've ordered the following to hopefully get the old girl on the road to recovery..

Drop links
Wishbones
Front / rear disks and pads (need doing)
Full set of filters and oil
Glow plug as I have a faulty one.
Pair of coils as while investigating my ailments I've noticed one is cracked.

Anyone who's done any of these jobs want to pass on any hard won knowledge.. Any special tools I'm going to need? I presume I'll need a ball separator for the wishbones which I have and I'm well stocked with all the normal tools..must don't want to get her bits only to find I'm missing something tiny tool that is fundamental!

Anything else I should know etc?

Thanks

Glow plugs can be right pigs to get at and do I believe, Wishbones are easy but you will need to cut the old drop links off.
By coils you mean coil springs as in front, Only thing to watch is that you use a Allen key in the top of the shock and undo the nut. But be careful as the Allen key hole isn't the strongest and will break very easily.
Don't forget you will also need coil spring compressors.

Watch your sump plug and make sure the Allen key is the perfect size or it will end in tears.
You know about winding in the rear callipers don't you? Passenger side anti clockwise and drivers side clockwise. As your looking at it, If you haven't got the right tool I just lean on the jack handle and turn the piston with pipe grips.

I don't think there is anything really out of the orderniry with them. Give everything a good helping of wd 40 half an hour before hand.

glowplugs are a royal pain in the back side, you WILL need the correct tool with wobbly end, also you will need to remove one of the fuel lines, egr and the black box on the back next to the egr.
You will also need loads of plasters as you will cut your hands to shreads.

When you go to remove the plugs just tighten them very slightly first to remove the crud from the end of the thread, otherwise you may find they will seize and snap in your head (loads of reports of this on here).
new plug, make sure you put some copperslip on the thread, this will make future changes a breeze without having the worry of snapping the plugs.
BE VERY GENTLE removing the plugs i cannot express that more.

Back