Register Login
FIAT Auto Specialist Team
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2018   #1
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Turkey
Posts: 35
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
Turkey 
Exclamation Do you recommend ECU transportation?

Some transport the ECU and fix it on the battery box, so that it doesnt expose to sudden heat changes and vibrations of the engine.

Do you think it works and useful?
__________________
Peace at HOME! Peace in the WORLD

M . K . ATATURK
frostbite is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 10-06-2018   #2
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Near the M4
Posts: 17,565
Thanks: 619
Trader Rating: 0
varesecrazy has donated!
United Kingdom 
Quote Originally Posted by frostbite View Post
Some transport the ECU and fix it on the battery box, so that it doesnt expose to sudden heat changes and vibrations of the engine.

Do you think it works and useful?
In the UK.. its not a common thing to RELOCATE the ECU.

But in certain climates...HOT or WET...

there could certainly be some benefit.

Where are you proposing to go FROM and TO ?
( engine top to battery tray..)


Charlie
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides


Last edited by varesecrazy; 10-06-2018 at 09:11.
varesecrazy is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 11-06-2018   #3
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Turkey
Posts: 35
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
Turkey 
Re: Do you recommend ECU transportation?

Yes, engine top to battery tray
Likes varesecrazy liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

frostbite is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 11-06-2018   #4
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The land that time forgot
Posts: 2,204
Thanks: 157
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Do you recommend ECU transportation?

I thought moving the ECU to the battery was quite a popular modification, especially by the 1.6 guys.

If the cable is long enough, I don't suppose it makes any difference to the ECU, if it's next to the battery instead of the engine. It would be quite well protected next to the battery, especially if the car still has its undertray.


Ralf S.
Likes tessiedog, varesecrazy liked this post
__________________
No bullets for chaingun
Ralf S. is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 12-06-2018   #5
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Grimsby, England
Posts: 751
Thanks: 73
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Do you recommend ECU transportation?

Quote Originally Posted by varesecrazy View Post
In the UK.. its not a common thing to RELOCATE the ECU.

But in certain climates...HOT or WET...

there could certainly be some benefit.

Where are you proposing to go FROM and TO ?
( engine top to battery tray..)


Charlie
I would wager he is refering to the 1.6 ECU relocation - which is a very, very commonly performed alteration.

The ECU from factory sits on top of the forward cam above cylinder 4 and the ECU is well known to suffer from heat-soak associated with it's location right on top of the engine.

The heat causes solder joints to crack / break or even the solder to soften to the extent that the pins begin to fall back down through the circuit board, losing their connection to the plug on top. It causes all sorts of havoc when it happens too.

People typically relocate the ECU towards the battery box or bulkhead as a cooler, safer location for the 1.6 ECU.

It's not necessary to do this on other models.
Likes tessiedog, varesecrazy liked this post
__________________
Registered Alfaholic
Current cars - Stilo Abarth (let's not mention the Audi)
Previous: Fiats: Uno, Tipo, Brava (1.8 ELX), Marea (2.0 155); Alfas: 156 (1.8TS), 166 (3.0 V6), 156 GTA, 156 Sport (1.9 JTD M-Jet), 159 Lusso (1.9 JTDM), 147 Lusso (1.6TS)
Artermis is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 12-06-2018   #6
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Near the M4
Posts: 17,565
Thanks: 619
Trader Rating: 0
varesecrazy has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Do you recommend ECU transportation?

Good point.

Ive had little to do with the stilo. Not sold new in my area. So very few around.


Thought @frostbite had a bravo-a

From memory..
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

varesecrazy is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 13-06-2018   #7
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Turkey
Posts: 35
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
Turkey 
Quote Originally Posted by varesecrazy View Post
Good point.

Ive had little to do with the stilo. Not sold new in my area. So very few around.


Thought @frostbite had a bravo-a

From memory..
Right, I had brava some time ago, but I have a 1.6 stilo Hb now
Likes varesecrazy liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

frostbite is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 13-06-2018   #8
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Turkey
Posts: 35
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
Turkey 
Quote Originally Posted by Artermis View Post
I would wager he is refering to the 1.6 ECU relocation - which is a very, very commonly performed alteration.

The ECU from factory sits on top of the forward cam above cylinder 4 and the ECU is well known to suffer from heat-soak associated with it's location right on top of the engine.

The heat causes solder joints to crack / break or even the solder to soften to the extent that the pins begin to fall back down through the circuit board, losing their connection to the plug on top. It causes all sorts of havoc when it happens too.

People typically relocate the ECU towards the battery box or bulkhead as a cooler, safer location for the 1.6 ECU.

It's not necessary to do this on other models.
Thats the point. Thanks a lot. Then Ill relocate it because Ecu gets toooooo hot when the motor is hot
Likes varesecrazy liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

frostbite is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 16-06-2018   #9
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Dublin
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
Ireland 
Re: Do you recommend ECU transportation?

Quote Originally Posted by frostbite View Post
Thats the point. Thanks a lot. Then Ill relocate it because Ecu gets toooooo hot when the motor is hot
I used cable ties to secure it to the air intake duct. It puts less strain on the wiring harness.

Not really convinced it makes much difference to be honest.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

dukebus is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(G) Recommend ECU diagnostic tool for my 04 Punto Edspunto Punto (Mk2/2b) 4 27-01-2018 14:46
Dealership Transportation MattHarris19872016 Leisure Lounge 2 28-10-2017 19:24
(G) Recommend an ECU repair specialist? moschino02 Stilo 11 28-06-2012 21:21
Car transportation mick FIAT Boo Archives 1 24-06-2010 22:35
car transportation- how much? beau Leisure Lounge 18 19-08-2006 18:09