General My car still isnt functioning correctly

Currently reading:
General My car still isnt functioning correctly

:( After almost crying with trying to figure it out and my dad not really caring about getting it done as he has other thigns that are more important (he's a mechanic), i am almost at the end of my tether :(

My P reg 75 keeps giving these problems:

Injector light goes on and off whilst dirivng, sometimes effecting speed, sometimes making no difference

Car will sometimes not start from luke warmish, but only sometimes, as though it has no fuel, wen it has loads,

When it does the above it will eventually start but sound like its running on 1, then 2, then 3, then 4. And then fter that it will try and stall when you put your foot down,

today it didnt want to start after being sat for 10 mins and cooling a little, and when it did start it did the above for the first time though, while it was driving.

Sometimes it will start and not idle at all therefore it stalls.

Most of the time when started from warm it will idle at 1500 OR 2000 RPM, and sometimes will rev on its own up to 3 or 4 thou RPM, alot of the time it will waver between 2000-2300 RPM, just fluctuating in between.

Please Please Please can anybody else help me, as i cannot afford a fiat diagnostic and as i have no red key, i cannot use my fathers diagnositc machine as it requires the red key :(

Jordan

Have you tried at Bensons garage? They have an exmainer thingy there I think as they offered me an airbag light reset, dunno if theirs needs the red key or not and will be cheaper than our friends in Carlisle :eek: Next thing you'll tell me Richard's your dad or something and it's his examiner knowing my luck :rolleyes:

punto_jr_sx75 said:
Lol thanks anyway helena but i cant afford it at all. And no, my dads called Duncan and he's bald lol!

His garage is outside wigton just over carlilse bridge and the next left heading back towards carlilse :eek:

Im just down and out about it

I've always wondered, is that at the turn-off marked Parton just before you come to Micklethwaite? He might be a good person to come to as he obviously knows Bravas and Fiats :D

You could do a blink test, there is a thread on puntosports on how to do it with a list of all the codes and what they mean. My injector light comes on on mine sometimes and i get some flat spots every now and again at low revs, i was told it could be the coolant temperature sensor as this is what tells the ecu how much fuel goes into the engine at what temperature ie-cold start, warm start. Hope you suss this problem out soon (y)

Helz said:
I've always wondered, is that at the turn-off marked Parton just before you come to Micklethwaite? He might be a good person to come to as he obviously knows Bravas and Fiats :D

Nope, thats for parton heights, we nearly bought that place :) Its the one before that, in the dip you come to after turning right off carlilse bridge, witht he sign called 'Dockray Hall'. The garage is the first thing you come to over a cattle grid stright in front of you :) Im sure he'd love to work on your car for you sometime if you wanted :)

dazzdog said:
You could do a blink test, there is a thread on puntosports on how to do it with a list of all the codes and what they mean. My injector light comes on on mine sometimes and i get some flat spots every now and again at low revs, i was told it could be the coolant temperature sensor as this is what tells the ecu how much fuel goes into the engine at what temperature ie-cold start, warm start. Hope you suss this problem out soon (y)

:bang: I have just replaced this too :(

I do appreciate the reply though thankyou, i will try and look for th thread on puntosports, thankyou!

Jordan

Have you tried cleaning things out like the air flow meter, throttle body etc? When my car is running crappy i just take random things off and clean them :eek: I feel your pain though because there is nothing worse than your car not running correctly because it takes the joy out of driving :( chin up though, if your car never had problems you would never have nothing to fix and that would be boring (y)

That is true :eek:

Yeh ive ordered a new air flow meter, ive blasted the gunk of my throttlebody with brake and clutch cleaner when i had it to pieces, ive had my idle control out and cleaned that up, my throttle cable is perfectly smooth and doesnt change a thign on the engine when you lift the pedal up with your foot.

I would've thought seeing as you can put a chip in place of the air flow sensor it couldnt have made the engine as bad as it is? no? I stil thought it best to change it though. It isnt the same as a 55 one by chance is it does anybody know?

Jordan

What air flow sensor? :confused: ONly GT's got them, as the ecu needs it to figure out what the turbo is doing:confused:

I would first swap out coils, then lamda sensor, then ecu (might be able to come down and try mine out, coming home not this wkd, but the one after for mothering sunday etc, as I know 75 ecu's aren't exactly in abundance)

then I'd draw a blank and get pished off, could be injectors are past it and blurting out all kinds of crap(n)

Thanks faster, but i dont have the red key for mine so swapping the ECU may be a problem! There is a 75 now in carlisle scrapyard with the ECU and Key system (code box etc) with my name on it though!

By the air flow sensor i meant the temperature sensor, its the little red LED look-a-like called the intake air temperature sensor on the top of the throttle body.

I have ordered another engine temperature sensor after asking a very helpful Fiat main-dealer mechanic ( :eek: ) He even rang me after i had left a message with someone at county motors (our local fiat dealership) to see if someone could ring me back, and stayed on the phone for half an hour! He explained that they were the most reliable Mk1 punto he could remeber and he had worked at fiat for 18years :eek: And then he went on to say the things i had forgotten to mention like if its trying to start from hot then it wont like it etc.

SO...
Hopefully that may cure it, im not holding out anything as there are one or two things that dont quite fit but hopefully it should work so im a little happier now :eek: Even after i came off the road earlier avoiding a farmer on a quadbike with a trailer and went into a ditch and bent the inner wheel arch liner and bumper mount so it catches on my wheel full locks....

I'm still smiling :) :)

Mate have you tried the lambda? Ive got very similar probs to you and will be trying a new one tomorrow.

Other people I have spoken to (on puntosports) have had similar probs and nearly always comes back to the lambda.

doesn't that little temp sensor just 'push' into a mount?? you can't open the TB up so I assume its just held in there by force. Can't cost much though!!!

And I'm well impressed that you found a good, friendly fiat guy!!:D you need to share the details of this guys wherabouts

Back