General head gasket gone engine massively overheated...

Currently reading:
General head gasket gone engine massively overheated...

Like the thing on the bonnet of my old CLX Tony:

Panda_Italian_Job_2.jpg

christopher watson said:
It should fit, but why not get a punto selecta engine and box instead, so you still have an automatic, but have the power of the 1242 engine (y)
because i couldn't find any other engine on Ebay... it's that or one in Devon... and the 1.1s is in Moffat which is relatively close

Steve said:
That 1.1 FIRE is the same as the 1.1 FIRE in your Panda.

How overheated did it get?
Hmmm, worthy of thought...

the engine didn't pop the radiator but was boiling the water i was pouring over the thing 15 minutes after we stopped the car...

recovery guy came said it was running on three cylinders now... and when he ran the engine little puffs of steam were emerging from the radiator as he had left the cap off.

drove the last 8 miles with rattling coming from the engine which i pressume was things expanding coz of the heat.

apart from that and the burning smell... ran like a dream

Tony M said:
Hmmm, worthy of thought...

the engine didn't pop the radiator but was boiling the water i was pouring over the thing 15 minutes after we stopped the car...

recovery guy came said it was running on three cylinders now... and when he ran the engine little puffs of steam were emerging from the radiator as he had left the cap off.

drove the last 8 miles with rattling coming from the engine which i pressume was things expanding coz of the heat.

apart from that and the burning smell... ran like a dream

Damn. New engine then... :(

with regards to puntos, the 1242 selecta uses a slightly different bottom end. iirc the crank pulley, alternator drive, and so alternator are all different.
is this not the same with the panda selecta? you should be able to make one fully working engine out of them both.

however, i doubt you've damaged the bottom end by overheating it. you could just buy a new head instead. if you do that, get a cinq or sei sporting head, or ideally the head off a late punto60 engine (to confirm the engine code is 176.B4).

the 1108 cinq and sei engines have larger intake valves than the punto engines. but the 1242 176.B4 engine has the same intake valves and a hotter cam.

edit: just saw the bit out rattling noises.. hmm.. bottom end may be shot. or it might've just been head noise.

this thread may help with what bits would need swapping over
https://www.fiatforum.com/showthread.php?t=29222&highlight=selecta

Last edited:
Tony, I've currently got a decent Fire engine out of a CLX, on a trolley ready to pick up. It ran beautifully into the garden.:D
...but the car itself had no floor to speak of, although it did have a replacement tailgate in lovely condition ( However it is RED:bang: ).
If you're interested ....

pandafan said:
Tony, I've currently got a decent Fire engine out of a CLX, on a trolley ready to pick up. It ran beautifully into the garden.:D
...but the car itself had no floor to speak of, although it did have a replacement tailgate in lovely condition ( However it is RED:bang: ).
If you're interested ....
ok, it's a 1100 or 1000?... can't see the lower capacity making that much difference but every little helps :) If Alan turns up at some point with helpful ideas i may just take you up on that. incidentely how much are you after for it?

Sorry Tony I've been busy. if you get the 1000 engine as long as the gearbox mates up shouldn't be a problem you could probably de-cat the thing so you wouldn't be loosing that much power but only if you get the lot with the engine carb etc.

I've PM'd you and if you need help NO PROBLEM.

Alan.D said:
only if you get the lot with the engine carb etc.

Damn ... does that mean I got to try and remember which carb I took of it ? ... of will any of them do ?:eek:

Only if he want's a de-catted version.....I just forgot that I do have a 1000 fuel injected engine on my spares car so should fit like a glove and has a spare injected carb so to speak. So as long as you can handle a bit less power you can have it for free ***If it's not been crushed by now that is***

Back