no presets

Currently reading:
no presets

lib319

hi there,

I put a jvc kd-s741r into my Marea, which works but will not store presets. From reading this forum I imagine I would have to make a perm live connection somewhere, (swapping the yellow and red wires?). This is the first aftermarket stereo i've installed so any easy to follow instructions would be a help.

cheers

lib

ok, looking at the connectors, the red is in the top right position and the yellow is in the bottom, one from the right (shown on the connectors supplied with the new stereo by a white arrow). The connectors supplied with the stereo have the red in the top right and the yellow, two from the right, again as in the pic.

what shall i do?

And if I need to swap wires, how do I get the wires out of the connector housing, or should I just cut them and swap?

cheers

lib

Attachments

• connector.jpg
    connector.jpg
    659.1 KB · Views: 24
I had the same problem. Ended up being an orange and yellow stripey one and an orange one but yours looks different. Check the manual - you want 12v (ignition) and 12v (live) swapped over. There were no connectors, we cut and soldered :)

hi, no there doesn't appear to be, all the wires just go into a ribbed cable cover which ends up at the battery.

I tried getting the wires to match up with the ones supplied with the stereo but no joy. This new pic is of the original fiat wires. I cut the orange, 2nd from left (thinking it was unimportant) and attached the yellow to it as per the hifi's supplied set of leads (pic 1) but didn't work. reattached the yellow but would only work once I got the orange reattached too.

Don't know what the orange does. Shall I just swap the red and yellow?

cheers both

lib

Attachments

• fiatwires.jpg
    fiatwires.jpg
    421.9 KB · Views: 16
Cheers,

the Fiat manual is a bit hopeless and doesn't say what is going where. Dont have a multi, might just do the swap and see what happens, hopefully no smoke.

thanks Helz

Are you cutting wires the loom side or the cd player side? I found that swapping the yellow with the red on the CD PLAYER side worked.

I didn't touch the Fiat ISO side at all; and that has been on 4 head units from Sony, Panasonic & two Pioneers.

cheers bozzy

sorry i don't know what a loom is. I cut the wires going into the bit that goes into the cd player. The wires disappear into the dash and come out at the battery, i'm guessing the loom is in between the dash and the battery.

What I really need to know is what the wires are going into the connector that goes into the cd player as I have a diagram of how it should be wired up from JVC.

The red power wire matches the jvc position as does the black earth. The yellow is one place to the left according to jvc which on the fiat setup is an orange wire. This orange wire isn't the bypass ign wire (which would store the presets) and the jvc won't work without this orange wire connected.

If i remember correctly I did not cut/change any of the wires either side. Th e head unit connector block had a yellow & a red cable. Instead of putting the red cable from the cd to the red cable of the Stilo I connected the yellow cable to the red cable of the Stilo. There was no need to re-position cables within the connector blocks.

so, cut the yellow and the red cables from the block that goes into the HU and join them with the yellow going into the red that goes into the block?

sorry if I don't get it :)

Attachments

• diag.jpg
    diag.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
10/10 with the picture. However, there is no need to cut a wire.

There should be a yellow wire and a red wire coming from the head unit. Connect the yellow wire from the head unit to the red wire from the Stilo. The remaining red wire from the head unit needs a feed and there should be another live cable from the head unit that loops back into this red wire. If I could get to my car I would call you and talk you through it but I am flat on my back for 3 months following a spine operation. Some bright spark will be along in a minute and make it look like a piece of cake.

If I could get to my car I would call you and talk you through it but I am flat on my back for 3 months following a spine operation.

What kind of excuse is that? :D

just joking, hope you're ok after that op, sounds like a biggie.

Do you mean put the remaining yellow wire into the red on the HU ie a straight swop red for yellow? like in this pic.

...or is there another feed (in my case it would be the orange one I mentioned before that needs to be connected to the red)

Is there a way of taking the crimped wires out of the head unit block? I couldn't see a way of doing it so I just cut the wires instead.

Cheers, and I hope you are well soon.

lib

Attachments

• diag.jpg
    diag.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 16
I would connect the orange to the spare red in this case. Must admit, the block from the h.u sounds strange but worth a try. Just have some fuses spare. Let us know if this work.

Yep, it was a big op, steel cages and pins/bone grafts to hold my spine together. thanks for comments.

Here we go, I think this is the answer, from BOO

Feed and Earthing Block

Orange
Feed From Ignition (only on when Ignition is on)

Yellow / Black
Radio Lighting Feed

Red
Permanent Feed

Black
Earth

on the fiat wires I cut the yellow/black thinking it was the ign feed when it is actually the orange which is the ign feed. Which makes sense, the jvc unit has the perm feed in the orange ign's place and the red acc + 12v ign feed in the Fiat red perm feed position. Essentially I want to swop the orange and red not the yellow and red.

i think ;)

Bozzer, thank you so much for your help and once again, get well soon! i hope you are not too hacked off with your predicament

cheers

speak to you soon with the outcome of this

lib

Glad to help in any way, hacked off ?, I can walk unaided for the 1st time in 2 years. Can pick up my daughter without pain, can wipe my own arse, will be able to blast my 155HP JTD round the glorious countrside that Brum offers. Best yet, can get back to running which is all I live for.

All the best

Bozzy

Cool.(y)

Stereo now sorted.

!st time i've seen a policeman on my street and he catches me fiddling about with a bunch of wires coming out the dash and the stereo on the passenger seat at 11.30 at night. Good job I have an honest face :)

take care Bozzy

lib

And thanks to u Helz, I think we had the same problem, it looks like Fiat are putting any old colour of wire into any old slot.

lib

Back