CAUTION! Chinese Cars Will Kill You!

Currently reading:
CAUTION! Chinese Cars Will Kill You!

This is taken from the motoring section of The Times website. This montrousity scored zero in crash tests... I've highlighted the shocking bits. :eek:

landwind.jpg

The first Chinese car to be sold in Europe has scored zero — the worst-ever score — in safety tests.

The JiangLing Landwind was displayed at the Frankfurt Motor Show last week and is expected to arrive in British showrooms within months. It is already on sale in Holland, Germany and Belgium and has been billed as the vanguard of a new invasion of Chinese vehicles.

The two-ton 4x4 scored zero stars in crash tests last week by the ADAC, the German automobile club, which carries out tests for Euro NCAP. “It had a catastrophic result,” said a spokesman for the ADAC. “In our 20-year history no car has performed as badly.”

Testers calculated that a driver would be unlikely to survive a head-on collision at 40mph, and in a side-on collision at 30mph the driver would suffer severe head and chest injuries due to a lack of side protection. “This car seems to belong in the 1990s in terms of engineering,” said Chris Patience, head of technical policy at the AA Motoring Trust. “We will wait for the official Euro NCAP results, but if it really is that bad we hope people will think very carefully before buying this car.”

With an expected £10,000 price tag, the Landwind is designed to rival cars such as the Kia Sportage and Hyundai Tucson, both about £5,000 more expensive. The Chinese maker plans to sell at least 1,000 models before July 2006.

And yet, when I was a 17 y/o, I was blatting about in cars that HAD no safety features - ABS? No. Airbags? No. Crumple zones? doubtful unless a Volvo. Rear seat belts? Hmmm....

Just shows you how technology has moved on, or not in this case.

Do you have the crash picture that should make... er... interesting viewing.

So what would a panda or a uno get in the ncap tests I wonder?

This is the result of things becoming cheaper, materials cheaper to buy, cheap labour, cheap cheap bloody cheap everything. It looks cheap.

This vehicle will surely not be on the market for long if incidents occur.

The scary thing is that it actually passed the TUV test... I always thought that only good quality products got TUV approval, yet they let this cheap-and-nasty-even-for-something-made-in-China pile of Far Eastern scrap metal pass?! :eek:

Erk! That car is worrying....the steering column deformation appears to have been designed in reverse....

Stuart DemonD said:
Exactly that - hey, we all thought we were invincible back then ;)

Back then it didn't matter Stu as all the cars were as bad as each other. The big problems come when a 5* car hits a 1* car. That's why so may people can carsh a low rated car and think "That's not so bad" but if they hit say a Megane it's all over. :(

Simple solution - Ban Renaults! :)

Ozric-Al said:
Back then it didn't matter Stu as all the cars were as bad as each other. :)
While that is true to an extent, if 2 1* cars hit each other there is a higher risk of loss of life than if 2 5* cars hit each other!

Also, if you hit a concrete wall rather than another car (as in the ncap tests) I think it does matter!!!

Back