Technical Wiring Amp In A Sei

Currently reading:
Technical Wiring Amp In A Sei

How have you fellow Sei drivers fed the power cables through to the cabin of the car from the engine bay? In the cinq i threw it through the speedo cable hole but the clocks and dash came out easy in a cinq, doesnt look so easy in a sei? (plus digital mileage etc so guessing not good to take power from it?)
Thanks,
Alex

Hi,
The hole for the speedo cable should be still there as 99 model year Sei's had a mechanical speedo, so it would now become a hole for the amp power supply....

Thanks
Paul T

Ghost did you use a grommet in the bulkhead directly behind the battery on your cinq? If you did why did you need to take your clocks out? :confused: I did this on my cinq and found that with the help of a torch I could feed the power wire through without distrurbing the dashboard at all.

yeah the grommet which you can see through the scuttleboard bit :p i found i had to take dash/clocks out in order to feed the wire through? guessing from above post i should be able to do without (and thus be able to feed thru same way/bit in sei :D)

Yeah I found that if you shine a torch down into the dashboard, either inside or outside the car, you should be able to feed it through, no probs.

hi. Thhere is a nice grommet below the battery that comes out just by the accelerator pedal. No need to take anything out, i just pops thru and then straight behind the carpet to run down the sills.

cheers

joe

exactly what i found :D wires now sitting in passenger footwell... didnt think of that behind carpet idea though, at moment are just slung behind random bits n pieces to keep from falling out :p

when i get a min i'll work out how i'll feed to the boot :)

need any help let me know :p

my interior has been out more times than its been in :eek:

theres a few way that you can run them to the boot, the easy way or pain in the ass way :D

Guys any chance you could put some pics of this up, Im a newbie at this and will need to put an amp in to run my head unit as it has no amp, I'm wanting to stick the amp in the boot but dont know how to wire it up so pics and explanations would be much appreicated.

Satty it is straight forward when you know what you are doing. There are 4 wires that you need to worry about - power, earth, RCA and Remote Turn On (probably written as REM). Earth, RCA and REM are easy - you just need to run the RCA and REM cables from the head unit to the boot - your best bet is to run them down the sills - make sure your REM and RCA cables are run down separate sides though, to avoid interferance. The earth is connected to your amp and is then attached to the bodywork (a bolt or something, I used the rear bumper mounting bolt on my cinq). Make sure that the metal is bare (i.e. no paint around it). This to make sure that the earth is as good as it can be - important for good quality sound.
The power cable is what holds the 'trouble' - you need to go from the battery to your boot. It is quite easy - there is a grommet as described in one of my previous posts on this thread, just make a slit with a stanley knife and feed the cable through into the driver's footwell. Then all you need to do is run it to the boot, under the sills as before. MAKE SURE THAT YOU RUN THE POWER CABLE DOWN THE OPPOSITE SIDE TO YOUR RCA CABLE!!! It is then a matter of connecting all the leads together, connecting your speakers/sub and input leads to the amp, reconnecting the battery MAKING SURE THAT YOU CONNECT THE POWER LEAD TO THE POSITIVE TERMINAL - I SPENT A DAY TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHY MY AMP WASN'T POWERING UP - I HAD CONNECTED THE POWER CABLE TO THE NEGATIVE TERMINAL!!. All you then need to do is make sure the bulkhead lining etc. is back as it should be and bob's your uncle 1 installed amp!
There are plenty of sites that go through amp installation - have a look on google (crutchfield.com is also good). They will also add anything I've missed - or someone on here will do it!!

Hope this helps

Cool, i think the only hard part is like you said running the power cable, i got no idea with my sei, so pictures would really help, ghost i dont mind waiting a couple of days i wasn't gonna do this until sunday anyway or possibly next sunday. I'm only gonna run my 6x9 from the amp. Shame there isn't a stealth shelf for the sei.

Do i need to take my front seats out to get the wiring down each side of the sills. Getting them into the boots not a problem. Theres already some speaker wires for the crappy 6x9's in there now. Shame the previous owner didn't amp them up.

Also quick question if im running my new 6x9 by an amp does this mean the front stock speakers will be fed more more from the HU also can you actually upgrade the front stock speakers in a sei. If so how would you amp them up would you need a 4ch amp or is it just not worth it if you've got some good 6x9's. Sorry if this is really basic stuff but this is the only thing i hope to do to my seicento abarth as i think it looks good as it is.

No satty you can keep the seats in. Just pop off the sill trims and there should be plenty of space.
Your stock front speakers won't get any more wattage from the HU unless you 'bridge' the HU channels together (I'm not sure if that can be done though). So if you have a 4x45 W HU then the stock speakers will recieve 45W peak (or about 17W RMS).
Any 4" speaker will fit in terms of radius into the standard holes, but you need to check the depth of the tweeter if you want to put the standard grilles back on - if the tweeters are proud, the grilles won't fit. You could amp them, but I think that its your own opinion if they sound right together.

4" speakers may need trimming to fit into the holes in the sei, i also had to cut a way a bit of the dash to fit my speakers, the depth of the tweeter doesnt really matter as the speaker fits to the speaker grill and has maybe half inch clearance from grill and speaker cone

a sei stealth shelf is available i had one, but i then made my own for a couple of quid, draw round your exsisting parcel shelf and cut it out, mark out speakers posisitions and cut them out, then cover in acoustic cloth

like chaos says the seats dont need to come out

the only thin that needs taking off is the trim, is quite easy to do, this pic might give you a better idea

wiringdia.jpg

the blue dots are roughly where the screws will be, there is also another screw in the back, just before the start of the rear seats underneath the seat belt anchor, there are 3 screws in total that need to come out.

once the screws are out the trim just clips off, may need a flat screwdriver to help it along the way

*post has been edited

Last edited:
cool now i only need a nice and simple pic of how to put the power cable in and im sorted.

Cheers guys, I'm gonna attempt this over the weekend.

Satty

Back