Technical Rev counter

Currently reading:
Technical Rev counter

scotseisporto! said:
anybody have a spare perspex cover for the rev counter

You could either by a new counter pod OR You could make your own if you get a piece of perspex

Ive never seen the perspex for the counter come up for sale

apple i was thinking about doing that "making my own", will get a look at it when i get the sei.

cheers though think u have just answered my doubts by suggesting it aswell.(y)

I've had the same problem with my 899cc sei and trying to fit the sporting rev counter. Nothing happens when i plug the instrument into the plug under the dash. The threads on here seem to be quite vauge for this particular scienario. People seem to have no probs fitting them to cinqs.
I have also tried the violet/black cable making a connection to the rev counter but this didnt work either.
I'd like to get it to work otherwise its just gonna be an illuminated decoration in my car!!!

Yeah I'm busy too creating my own home-made rev counter. The idea is to create a bar of (SMD)-LED's just below the fuel gauge, speed counter and temp gauge. I'm thinking of a bar that goes from 0 rev till 6000 revs (which seems enough for me) and I'll use 4 led's per 1000 revs, so 24 led's will lit while driving 6K revs ;)

The only thing I want to know is how the signal 'describes' the revs. Is it voltage driven or frequency driven? I thought I've read in this thread it's one spike per rev, so it means the signal will go up to 100 Hz = 6000 revs/minute. Can someone (youngmodder, Paul_T ;)) confirm that? Till february 16th I'll be very busy, but I want to make the design already so I can build it in in the weekend after the 16th.

Ofcourse I'll keep y'all up-to-date!

Fiat Powerrr said:
Yeah I'm busy too creating my own home-made rev counter. The idea is to create a bar of (SMD)-LED's just below the fuel gauge, speed counter and temp gauge. I'm thinking of a bar that goes from 0 rev till 6000 revs (which seems enough for me) and I'll use 4 led's per 1000 revs, so 24 led's will lit while driving 6K revs ;)

The only thing I want to know is how the signal 'describes' the revs. Is it voltage driven or frequency driven? I thought I've read in this thread it's one spike per rev, so it means the signal will go up to 100 Hz = 6000 revs/minute. Can someone (youngmodder, Paul_T ;)) confirm that? Till february 16th I'll be very busy, but I want to make the design already so I can build it in in the weekend after the 16th.

Ofcourse I'll keep y'all up-to-date!

I believe its voltage driven. It will be unlikely that Paul T will read this, as he's sold his Cinq.

Matt925 said:
I have also tried the violet/black cable making a connection to the rev counter but this didnt work either.

It seems that using the v/b wire is only an option for non immobilised cinqs. It doesn't seem to work for immobilised Centos.

paul_treg said:
Some people have found that immobiliser cinq's will not run when a rev counter is connected at pin 23

hey,

i was looking at this a while back, i saw a sei sporting rev counter on ebay and was contemplating buying it but thought the wiring wud of been to complicated to make it worth while. but looking at this i gather theres a 4 pin connector at the top of the dash so would this just connect in? also my SX is a MPI will i have the immobilising problems like in the cinqs? and fitting it, i looked at the photo displayed and it looked like there was a bracket sticking out the bottom. does this bolt into the dash bolt thats hidden under that little cover in the windscreen heater grill or do you have to modify the dash?

if this is easier than i think i might be persuaded to reconsider :D:D

cheers luke

Right sorry to go back to my part again but i think people arent reading parts correctly follow all the wiring information below and it is ultra important that it has the feed from the siganl wire and an Ignition live otherwise it WILL NOT work at all:bang:

The younger modder said:
Red and black - Connect to an ignition live

Black - Connect to a good earth

Yellow and red - Connect to speedo illumination live

Light blue - Connect to the black/violet speed sensor wire from pin 23 from ecu from the fuel pump relay.

Nils_Motoworx said:
Think I've found the connecter! It's just behind the upper vent. shaft, in the middle of the dashboard.there you'll find a connector with four wires: red, black and yellow and blue. It's just right underneath where the standard sportings' rev. counter is placed
this is excatly the multiplug i connected to for my sei sporting rev counter in my 899 cinq so if you find this in your sei and use it it will DEFINATELY work:devil:

anymore info i can give i will help with but it really is a case of trying and getting it to work

wayne

The younger modder said:
Right sorry to go back to my part again but i think people arent reading parts correctly follow all the wiring information below and it is ultra important that it has the feed from the siganl wire and an Ignition live otherwise it WILL NOT work at all:bang:

this is excatly the multiplug i connected to for my sei sporting rev counter in my 899 cinq so if you find this in your sei and use it it will DEFINATELY work:devil:

anymore info i can give i will help with but it really is a case of trying and getting it to work

wayne

my sei is on a s plate and has a built in imobilizer, im telling you it will not work lol, i can wire allarms and other electronics to the car but simply doing 4 wires for a rev counter i know im doing it correctly but it just is not working(n) works on cinq's but not sei

Connecting to the v/b wire does not work on the sei. I have the plug already fitted with the wiring harness and everything functions on the rev counter power lights etc except the most important bit reading the revs!! I tried hooking the light blue wire up to the v/b wire from the fuel pump relay and warning lights started coming on for my acs (citymatic). That scared the cr*p out of me as anyone with a citymatic will tell you.
Is there any other way to try like connecting it to pin 23 on the ecu or will that not work either or have I hooked the wire up wrongly and its shorting something out?

I've just fitted a rev counter to a Fiat Cinquecento, and it works.

I bought one of the little round rev counters that are branded "Fast & Furious" and have 7 colour LED lighting. I got mine from Ebay for £20 but there seem to be several sources, with various different brandings.

The rev counter works with 4, 6 or 8 cylinder engines. The twin coils on the Cinquecento means that the signal is like it would be from a 2 cylinder engine. The switch on the back selects the number of cylinders, by selecting a resistor.

The resistor for 4 cylinders is 380 k ohms. The one for 8 cylinders is 190 k ohms. It is the one arrowed in the photo. I changed that to 760 k ohms. To do that I had to carefully prise the bezel off the rev counter. Then I removed the circuit board by unscrewing the brass bolts. I used a soldering iron to change the resistor, and put it all back together. I folded the back edge of the bezel back behind the lip on the case. It's not very neat, but not very visible when fitted.

I then wired the rev counter exactly as the instructions. It needs ground, permanent power, ignition power and lighting input. The coil input is wired to connector 19 on the ECU, which connects to one of the coils. The plug that connects to the ECU unscrews, so it is easy to add another wire there.

The other photo shows it fitted, with the engine on tickover. There is a bit of wobble on the needle at tickover. The rev counter reads half of that on the 4 cylinder setting. It is of course set to the 8 cylinder setting, which is now adjusted to 2 cylinders.

I had to slighly notch out the plastic bracket that supports the speedo to clear the rev counter.

I hope this is useful to anyone who wants a rev counter.

Attachments

• fiatrev1.jpg
    fiatrev1.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 1,265
  • fiatrev2.jpg
    fiatrev2.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 1,328
I now have a sporting revcounter in my 899cc cinq, thanks to pauls instructions and photo's. Everything works as it should, and everything was there where it should be. Thanks again. :worship: (y)

so it is possible to fit a se sporting rev counter to an mpi if done correctly. and it shuldnt be that hard. if im rigt i jsut need to hook those four wires as suggested by (younger modder) correctly and it should work yes??

Sorry to dig out this old thread (my, it's 7 years old!) but I thought it wouldn't warrant to open a new one for such a simple question...

I have an MPI seicento S. I bought a full dashboard from a Seicento Sporting SPI. Will I find the so-called multiplug underneath my original dashboard, and most importantly, will it even fit the SPI rev meter?

I would suppose that since MPI Seis have a CAN, they wouldn't be using an analog signal rev counter anymore... Would they?

Back