Technical Really don't like my new 500L

Currently reading:
Technical Really don't like my new 500L

Pinklady53

I've had my 500L since April having traded in my pink 500 which I loved and hubby's B class merc automatic. Having both retired we really didn't need two cars. How I wish we had kept the merc! (Not to mention my beloved pinkie) We started out asking for a test drive and before we realised it had traded in the two cars and bought the L without a test drive! It's comfortable to drive and be a passenger in, but the B****y bleeping when changing gear or function! Use it in manual and go from N to 1 without your foot on the break and it's beep beep beep beep with the message to repeat function with foot on brake (same happens when in auto) change from 1 to R beep beep beep beep repeat function with your foot on the break. It drives us absolutely BONKERS!!! :bang:It's no point taking it back to garage as the cars are so new the mechanics have not been trained properly - I had to work out myself how to turn the speed beep off which had been set to 20 (yes 20) mph. The engineer didn't have a clue and nor did the sales staff. They only just about managed to help us fix up our phones. All in all a very sorry sort of car. I've only seen one other on the road so it's not exactly setting the auto world alight. and as for the adverts in the Sunday papers suggesting we find somewhere to have sex in the car :yuck: All in alll not a happy bunny :cry::cry:

I just posted on another thread asking why you didn't like it. If this is all then it isn't much.

I always have a foot on the brake when leaving neutral in an automatic, it's just a wise thing to do.

And as for others on the road, well, I've seen more Ls on the road since it was launched than I did the new Pandas in the same time period, so don't give up (y)

No techs or salespeople anywhere understand new models fully when they are launched - it's normal ;)

I've had my 500L since April having traded in my pink 500 which I loved and hubby's B class merc automatic. Having both retired we really didn't need two cars. How I wish we had kept the merc! (Not to mention my beloved pinkie) We started out asking for a test drive and before we realised it had traded in the two cars and bought the L without a test drive! It's comfortable to drive and be a passenger in, but the B****y bleeping when changing gear or function! Use it in manual and go from N to 1 without your foot on the break and it's beep beep beep beep with the message to repeat function with foot on brake (same happens when in auto) change from 1 to R beep beep beep beep repeat function with your foot on the break. It drives us absolutely BONKERS!!! :bang:It's no point taking it back to garage as the cars are so new the mechanics have not been trained properly - I had to work out myself how to turn the speed beep off which had been set to 20 (yes 20) mph. The engineer didn't have a clue and nor did the sales staff. They only just about managed to help us fix up our phones. All in all a very sorry sort of car. I've only seen one other on the road so it's not exactly setting the auto world alight. and as for the adverts in the Sunday papers suggesting we find somewhere to have sex in the car :yuck: All in alll not a happy bunny :cry::cry:

So you're moaning because you're not using the car properly?

Put your foot on the brake and be done with it! Its no different with any other dualogic Fiats and everyone else manages without issue!

Read the manual, like I assume you now have, rather than asking people who don't even own the car (ie sales people) how to sort things. Like you say its a new car, you didn't even test drive one before buying (not even going to comment on that), just because you don't know how to operate it why should everyone else :confused:

As already metnioned all Daulogics have this feature right across the Fiat range so even if you'd bought another 500 and opted for a Dualgoic your love affair with the tiny cinq would've come to the same abrupt end.

I have to admit that I find it incredibly incomprehensible that you bought the car without test driving it! The Merc Auto is a CVT pretend 7 speed unit and the Dualogic is an automated-manual automatically changing the manual gears. Very different beasts completely!!

I'm afraid that your problems are very much of your own making and little of what we can say can change things for you.

(n)

Last edited:
Don't understand....................:confused:"All in all a very sorry sort of car"??

Just because it bleeps when you move the from N to Park. eh!!!

For someone to put down north of £18k, and NOT test drive the car...........a salesman's dream punter!!

Ian

Last edited:
Having finally settled on a 500L after extensive research on other models including several test drives of FIATS, Hyundai's, Fords and Kia's I am astounded TBH that anybody would purchase a vehicle of any price without a test drive, it seems madness to me.

On testing driving the 500L it was immediately apparent it is a very different vehicle dynamically to our current 500, had we not had a test drive this would have come as a bit of a surprise and not something I would have wanted to discover on the day we pick the car up.

Also to the OP - it is worth noting that several manufacturers (FIAT included) have PDF copies of their vehicles manuals on line and you can down load them and study them in advance of picking the car up. I am doing exactly that between now and collection day in order that I become familiar with the cars operation and features.

It really isn't on to start a title with the one you have when all it actually boils down to 'user error' not actually anything wrong with the car itself.

For anyone interested manual downloads available here -

http://aftersales.fiat.com/elum/Home.aspx?id_language=2

I kind of get the feeling the OP won't be back!:eek:

Anyway, re the point about not test driving a new car - I will be honest and say that we never actually took the demo Panda out on the roads before buying it.

However:

1. I knew that the 500 was based on the Panda, so I felt that as long as everything felt pretty similar (which it did when sitting in the demo car) then it would be fine.

2. Because I had read loads of useful advice on here along with other research, it was a 99% safe bet that the new Panda was going to be a nicer drive than our old 500 (which was built pre-2010 and had the dreadful crashy suspension!). And so it proved to be!

So my point is that there are certain circumstances where you could get away with not test driving a car...;)

user is faulty :rolleyes: move on, nothing more to see here...

Back