Register Login
FIAT Auto Specialist Team
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2019   #1
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 91
Thanks: 1
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Sun visor (drivers side) A lady needs help.

Does any one have a drivers side sun visor (light grey) for a 1997 Cabrio ...it has a slidy mirror. Mrs Punto1cab has one that has gone all floppy! It is clearly a fit & forget item that is all plastic welded up! I imagine the shaft has broken or something. Only identification is on the bracket & that says A203
I don't know if it unique to the Cabrio....as the screen angle seems more acute on the Cabrio, it might be.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Punto1cab is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 04-07-2019   #2
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Near the M4
Posts: 20,140
Thanks: 720
Trader Rating: 0
varesecrazy has donated!
United Kingdom 
Quote Originally Posted by Punto1cab View Post
Does any one have a drivers side sun visor (light grey) for a 1997 Cabrio ...it has a slidy mirror. Mrs Punto1cab has one that has gone all floppy! It is clearly a fit & forget item that is all plastic welded up! I imagine the shaft has broken or something. Only identification is on the bracket & that says A203
I don't know if it unique to the Cabrio....as the screen angle seems more acute on the Cabrio, it might be.
Our 55s did that.

I packed IT out IIRC.

Just enough to make it stiffer.

SEARCH should find more info..

My repair was 10 years ago..

Charlie
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

varesecrazy is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 05-07-2019   #3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 389
Thanks: 23
Trader Rating: 0
renaultvation has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Sun visor (drivers side) A lady needs help.

There is a spring steel clip within the visor which grips onto the flat edge of the spindle. When the clip breaks it loses its grip. Although the visor is unique to the cabrio, the clip isn't. I have replaced mine with a clip from a non-cabrio punto, which was a fraction of the cost of a replacement cabrio visor. However, you do have to cut the vinyl to access the clip. If you remove the visor and feel along the top edge, you will feel the position of the clip. When you have located it, make a small incision with a sharp knife along the top seam and you can simply remove the broken clip and replace it. I then used a vinyl bond glue to repair the cut which created an invisible repair.
Likes varesecrazy liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

renaultvation is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 06-07-2019   #4
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 91
Thanks: 1
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Sun visor (drivers side) A lady needs help.

Quote Originally Posted by renaultvation View Post
There is a spring steel clip within the visor which grips onto the flat edge of the spindle. When the clip breaks it loses its grip. Although the visor is unique to the cabrio, the clip isn't. I have replaced mine with a clip from a non-cabrio punto, which was a fraction of the cost of a replacement cabrio visor. However, you do have to cut the vinyl to access the clip. If you remove the visor and feel along the top edge, you will feel the position of the clip. When you have located it, make a small incision with a sharp knife along the top seam and you can simply remove the broken clip and replace it. I then used a vinyl bond glue to repair the cut which created an invisible repair.
Thanks for that information. I have removed the broken clip (I made too long a cut, but it will glue back as you say) Any tips on which visor has a suitable clip? Mk2? or what. no Mk1's around, unless someone reading this has one ?
David
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Punto1cab is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 06-07-2019   #5
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rome
Posts: 309
Thanks: 36
Trader Rating: 0
Italy 
Re: Sun visor (drivers side) A lady needs help.

There are a few on Italian Ebay.
Search for
PARASOLE-PANTINA-DESTRA-con-specchietto-FIAT-PUNTO-1-serie

Destra or DX means right hand
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Italian Job is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 07-07-2019   #6
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 389
Thanks: 23
Trader Rating: 0
renaultvation has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Sun visor (drivers side) A lady needs help.

I used a clip from a mk1 visor. When I last needed one I managed to find one on UK ebay.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

renaultvation is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 08-07-2019   #7
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 91
Thanks: 1
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Sun visor (drivers side) A lady needs help.

Quote Originally Posted by Italian Job View Post
There are a few on Italian Ebay.
Search for
PARASOLE-PANTINA-DESTRA-con-specchietto-FIAT-PUNTO-1-serie

Destra or DX means right hand
Thanks for that info...I have had a few parts from Italy e-bay, but on most occasions they won't post outside Italy!! The patience of Italian friends who have done the deals for me is a bit thin now!
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Punto1cab is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 08-07-2019   #8
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 389
Thanks: 23
Trader Rating: 0
renaultvation has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Sun visor (drivers side) A lady needs help.

I might be inclined to take a punt(o) on a cheap mk2 visor and see if it has the same clip: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fiat-punt...8AAOSwJo1bX0tS
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

renaultvation is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 13-07-2019   #9
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 91
Thanks: 1
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Sun visor (drivers side) A lady needs help.

Quote Originally Posted by renaultvation View Post
I might be inclined to take a punt(o) on a cheap mk2 visor and see if it has the same clip: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fiat-punto-sun-visor-passenger-side-99-06/223575682643?hash=item340e262e53:g:BH8AAOSwJo1bX0t S
Maybe I will do just that
I will let you know!
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Punto1cab is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 13-07-2019   #10
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Las Negras, Almeria
Posts: 239
Thanks: 4
Trader Rating: 0
Spain 
Re: Sun visor (drivers side) A lady needs help.

This is a BIG problem that I have only solved by fitting the visors from the mk2 version, they are too long and don fit at all but at least they don't flop down in front of your face.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

rolandbrindley is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(S) Drivers sun visor with mirror..... itsnotmine 500 20 24-05-2016 14:39
(G) Driver side sun visor fcuk Bravo 2 19-07-2015 08:37