Register Login
Shop4Parts - UK's largest online superstore for FIAT and Alfa Romeo parts
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2014   #1
Come on Ye Pars!
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 28
Thanks: 1
Trader Rating: 0
keithbrown53 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Help with 2014 1.2 Easy specification!

Greetings!

Toying with buying a 2014 63 reg 1.2 Punto Easy.

The car advert didn't list ESP. On checking the brochure on the Fiat site (can't insert the URL as I'm new!) it lists ESP as an option. So I ruled the car out of the reckoning.

However, on the 'configure' tool on the Fiat site, if I set up an Easy with no options at all, ESP comes as standard!

So, does anyone know if ESP is standard or not?

I've tried to chat to someone on the Fiat site, and they have 'opened a case'.....

Cheers.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

keithbrown53 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 05-11-2014   #2
Speed Reader of the Year!
 
Most Easterly Pandas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 39,314
Thanks: 1231
Trader Rating: 2
Most Easterly Pandas has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Help with 2014 1.2 Easy specification!

Quote Originally Posted by keithbrown53 View Post
Greetings!

Toying with buying a 2014 63 reg 1.2 Punto Easy.

The car advert didn't list ESP. On checking the brochure on the Fiat site (can't insert the URL as I'm new!) it lists ESP as an option. So I ruled the car out of the reckoning.

However, on the 'configure' tool on the Fiat site, if I set up an Easy with no options at all, ESP comes as standard!

So, does anyone know if ESP is standard or not?

I've tried to chat to someone on the Fiat site, and they have 'opened a case'.....

Cheers.
Only Fiat can confirm as Spec is constantly subject to change. What someone on here puts will be irrelivent
__________________
Most Easterly Panda's - Panda'ing in East Anglia
Stockest of mk2 Panda Parts, PM for any parts requests
1993 Classic Panda Selecta, 1989 Panda 750L,
2015 Kia Soul EV, 2009 Panda Eleganza & 2005 Panda Climbing 4x4 (LPG)
Most Easterly Pandas is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 05-11-2014   #3
Come on Ye Pars!
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 28
Thanks: 1
Trader Rating: 0
keithbrown53 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Help with 2014 1.2 Easy specification!

Quote Originally Posted by Most Easterly Pandas View Post
Only Fiat can confirm as Spec is constantly subject to change. What someone on here puts will be irrelivent
You are of course correct that Fiat should know. However, their brochure says it's optional, and their configuration tool says it's standard. I'd have hoped that their left hand would know what the right is doing.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

keithbrown53 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 05-11-2014   #4
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 724
Thanks: 27
Trader Rating: 0
Switzerland 
Re: Help with 2014 1.2 Easy specification!

Depend on country (base equipment is not the same), and year.

To respond better to your question, Easy spec don't inlcude ESP at the base.
BUT, from 1st November of this year, it is mandatory for new cars sold in Europe.

You car was registered in 2013, no ESP as standard on easy (like mine in 2012).
__________________
Punto 2012 Easy - 1.4 8V 77CV - Blue
Mkala is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 07-11-2014   #5
Come on Ye Pars!
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 28
Thanks: 1
Trader Rating: 0
keithbrown53 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Help with 2014 1.2 Easy specification!

Quote Originally Posted by Mkala View Post
Depend on country (base equipment is not the same), and year.

To respond better to your question, Easy spec don't inlcude ESP at the base.
BUT, from 1st November of this year, it is mandatory for new cars sold in Europe.

You car was registered in 2013, no ESP as standard on easy (like mine in 2012).
Had a call from Fiat today. They said the brochure is out of date, and the configure a car tool is correct; cars from June 2014 come with ESP as standard.


I've reserved the car I spoke about above, having been assure despite it being a Feb 14 model, that it does have ESP - we'll see if that's correct when I get there.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

keithbrown53 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 07-11-2014   #6
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 724
Thanks: 27
Trader Rating: 0
Switzerland 
Re: Help with 2014 1.2 Easy specification!

Okay, thanks for update
Keep us informed.
__________________
Punto 2012 Easy - 1.4 8V 77CV - Blue
Mkala is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 08-11-2014   #7
'13 Punto MultiAir 105
 
austenw90's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Southampton
Posts: 870
Thanks: 26
Trader Rating: 0
austenw90 has donated!
United Kingdom 
How is the 1.2 in the current Punto? I've only driven this engine in a 2003 car and thought it was really underpowered but acceptable. Having driven the 1.4 8v and now owning a 1.4 16v MultiAir I can't imagine the 1.2 being capable enough in the Punto in it's current form?
Likes Super Uwe liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides


Last edited by austenw90; 08-11-2014 at 21:35.
austenw90 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 11-11-2014   #8
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bit south in Devon like
Posts: 1,924
Thanks: 151
Trader Rating: 0
Super Uwe has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Help with 2014 1.2 Easy specification!

Quote Originally Posted by austenw90 View Post
How is the 1.2 in the current Punto? I've only driven this engine in a 2003 car and thought it was really underpowered but acceptable. Having driven the 1.4 8v and now owning a 1.4 16v MultiAir I can't imagine the 1.2 being capable enough in the Punto in it's current form?
I've also been wondering about the 1.2 in the new shape Punto as well.

We have the 1.4 8v and it has 100% been the right choice for us as it has just got that little bit of extra poke in the right places that our old 1.2 Panda (and 1.2 500) didn't quite have. Not that I ever found the 1.2 particularly slow mind, it was a great little motor, just not fantastic with the amount of hills around here!

However, given the Punto is a bigger/heavier car than either of those two, I would love to know how people get on with it. It doesn't fall into the £30 tax band like the 1.2 Panda and 500 as its emissions are higher, so not sure if that is because it's been tweaked to be slightly better performing and less "eco-friendly"?
__________________
Had a 500, then a Panda, then a Punto, wife had another 500...now a Fiesta

Last edited by Super Uwe; 11-11-2014 at 09:26.
Super Uwe is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 11-11-2014   #9
Come on Ye Pars!
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 28
Thanks: 1
Trader Rating: 0
keithbrown53 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Help with 2014 1.2 Easy specification!

Quote Originally Posted by Super Uwe View Post
I've also been wondering about the 1.2 in the new shape Punto as well.

We have the 1.4 8v and it has 100% been the right choice for us as it has just got that little bit of extra poke in the right places that our old 1.2 Panda (and 1.2 500) didn't quite have. Not that I ever found the 1.2 particularly slow mind, it was a great little motor, just not fantastic with the amount of hills around here!

However, given the Punto is a bigger/heavier car than either of those two, I would love to know how people get on with it. It doesn't fall into the £30 tax band like the 1.2 Panda and 500 as its emissions are higher, so not sure if that is because it's been tweaked to be slightly better performing and less "eco-friendly"?
I'll let you know what we think when we test drive the car I was talking about above.

Incidentally, can anyone confirm how we would determine if a Punto does indeed have ESP fitted? If I'm reading the manual I downloaded correctly, a light will come on on for a few seconds and will go out again (exclamation mark in a triangle).

Also, to confirm the Punto has Bluetooth, is it as simple as checking the car has the phone button on the steering wheel controls? I've seen photos of the car we are going to see (an Easy), and the phone button is there. Looking at Pop models, the button seems to be absent.

Cheers.
Likes Super Uwe liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

keithbrown53 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 11-11-2014   #10
Speed Reader of the Year!
 
Most Easterly Pandas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 39,314
Thanks: 1231
Trader Rating: 2
Most Easterly Pandas has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Help with 2014 1.2 Easy specification!

Quote Originally Posted by keithbrown53 View Post
Incidentally, can anyone confirm how we would determine if a Punto does indeed have ESP fitted? If I'm reading the manual I downloaded correctly, a light will come on on for a few seconds and will go out again (exclamation mark in a triangle).
I believe that with Fiats all those with ESP also have ASR, so there should be an ASR deactivation button somewhere (normally going by most Fiat models to date anyway).
__________________
Most Easterly Panda's - Panda'ing in East Anglia
Stockest of mk2 Panda Parts, PM for any parts requests
1993 Classic Panda Selecta, 1989 Panda 750L,
2015 Kia Soul EV, 2009 Panda Eleganza & 2005 Panda Climbing 4x4 (LPG)
Most Easterly Pandas is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 11-11-2014   #11
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 724
Thanks: 27
Trader Rating: 0
Switzerland 
Re: Help with 2014 1.2 Easy specification!

Quote Originally Posted by keithbrown53 View Post
I'll let you know what we think when we test drive the car I was talking about above.

Incidentally, can anyone confirm how we would determine if a Punto does indeed have ESP fitted? If I'm reading the manual I downloaded correctly, a light will come on on for a few seconds and will go out again (exclamation mark in a triangle).

Also, to confirm the Punto has Bluetooth, is it as simple as checking the car has the phone button on the steering wheel controls? I've seen photos of the car we are going to see (an Easy), and the phone button is there. Looking at Pop models, the button seems to be absent.

Cheers.
To confirm you have ESP it's a good idea to check the light you describe. Mine, without ESP, did not lit for 3 sec when turning ignition on.
As Most Most Easterly Pandas says, you should have an ASR Off button on central dash, near Warning Lights.

For bluetooth, you can check buttons on steering, Blue & Me logo and USB port in front of gearstick. But the best is to come with a Bluetooth phone and pair it with the menu, take 3 minutes. Less if you just check with you phone that a "Blue and Me" device is available.
__________________
Punto 2012 Easy - 1.4 8V 77CV - Blue
Mkala is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 12-11-2014   #12
Come on Ye Pars!
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 28
Thanks: 1
Trader Rating: 0
keithbrown53 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Help with 2014 1.2 Easy specification!

Quote Originally Posted by Mkala View Post
To confirm you have ESP it's a good idea to check the light you describe. Mine, without ESP, did not lit for 3 sec when turning ignition on.
As Most Most Easterly Pandas says, you should have an ASR Off button on central dash, near Warning Lights.

For bluetooth, you can check buttons on steering, Blue & Me logo and USB port in front of gearstick. But the best is to come with a Bluetooth phone and pair it with the menu, take 3 minutes. Less if you just check with you phone that a "Blue and Me" device is available.
We're off to see the car on Saturday.

One of the sales people at the car dealership has kindly emailed me a few photos of the Blue and Me menus in the car, and the 'exclamation mark in a triangle' being displayed, so I'm happy it has what I want - but will double check in person.

Interestingly though, there is no 'ASR OFF' button near the hazard warning lights. This is consistent with other Punto Easy cars on Autotrader which claim to have ESP.

I have seen Punto Evo cars with the 'ASR OFF' button on Autotrader (seems to be the button to the right of the Hazard Warning button), but on the Easy, even with ESP, that button just doesn't appear to be there - perhaps on the Easy it just can't be turned off?
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

keithbrown53 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 12-11-2014   #13
Speed Reader of the Year!
 
Most Easterly Pandas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 39,314
Thanks: 1231
Trader Rating: 2
Most Easterly Pandas has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Help with 2014 1.2 Easy specification!

Quote Originally Posted by keithbrown53 View Post
Interestingly though, there is no 'ASR OFF' button near the hazard warning lights. This is consistent with other Punto Easy cars on Autotrader which claim to have ESP.
Never trust the spec a seller states on autotrader, half of them don't know what the differences are most of the time, and 90% of listings from experience normally have at least one spec error in them.
__________________
Most Easterly Panda's - Panda'ing in East Anglia
Stockest of mk2 Panda Parts, PM for any parts requests
1993 Classic Panda Selecta, 1989 Panda 750L,
2015 Kia Soul EV, 2009 Panda Eleganza & 2005 Panda Climbing 4x4 (LPG)
Most Easterly Pandas is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 12-11-2014   #14
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 724
Thanks: 27
Trader Rating: 0
Switzerland 
Re: Help with 2014 1.2 Easy specification!

Quote Originally Posted by keithbrown53 View Post
We're off to see the car on Saturday.

One of the sales people at the car dealership has kindly emailed me a few photos of the Blue and Me menus in the car, and the 'exclamation mark in a triangle' being displayed, so I'm happy it has what I want - but will double check in person.

Interestingly though, there is no 'ASR OFF' button near the hazard warning lights. This is consistent with other Punto Easy cars on Autotrader which claim to have ESP.

I have seen Punto Evo cars with the 'ASR OFF' button on Autotrader (seems to be the button to the right of the Hazard Warning button), but on the Easy, even with ESP, that button just doesn't appear to be there - perhaps on the Easy it just can't be turned off?
I have seen this button on another Punto 2012 but not on an Easy. And it's in manual.
But it can make sense, the Easy are "entry" level, so simplifying can reduce cost. Furthermore, with 77hp perhaps you don't need to disable to avoid slipping

If you have the triangle near the ESP light, it should be ok.
Likes Super Uwe liked this post
__________________
Punto 2012 Easy - 1.4 8V 77CV - Blue
Mkala is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 17-11-2014   #15
Come on Ye Pars!
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 28
Thanks: 1
Trader Rating: 0
keithbrown53 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Help with 2014 1.2 Easy specification!

Quote Originally Posted by Mkala View Post
I have seen this button on another Punto 2012 but not on an Easy. And it's in manual.
But it can make sense, the Easy are "entry" level, so simplifying can reduce cost. Furthermore, with 77hp perhaps you don't need to disable to avoid slipping

If you have the triangle near the ESP light, it should be ok.

So, test drove and bought the 1.2 Easy, on Saturday.

Like it a lot. It does not have the oomph of other cars I have driven, but not unexpected, and happily maintains 70 once up to speed.

Was able to get 5 bags of shopping and some sports gear in the boot, so surprisingly functional.

Car does show the light related to ESP staying on for a few seconds (but no ASR off button), and also does have Blue and Me, which is working well.

Also came with a few features I wasn't expecting. The thin bead of light on the passenger side dash (Ambient Light?) and the Change Gear suggestion on the control panel. Also has daytime running lights.
Thanks Super Uwe thanked for this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

keithbrown53 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(T) Torque specification 124spiderman 500 (Classic) 11 23-08-2013 23:12
(G) 750 Mania - specification CaptainTuba Panda (Classic) 7 07-12-2006 16:43
(T) Looking for a A-group or kitcar specification iksiu Cinquecento / Seicento 10 01-09-2004 11:48
(G) 2004 Vs. 2002 Specification barbarian Stilo 5 23-02-2004 00:11
(T) Equipment Specification pjp Stilo 12 06-12-2003 17:09