Register Login
The UK's No.1 Chrysler Owners Forum
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2017   #1
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 75
Thanks: 1
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Turbo jtd

Hi I'm wondering if anyone is in the know on whether a bolt on turbo from a different jtd would fit my jtd punto 80hp 2002..

It's had everything else I know alot of the higher spec engines have the variable vane units I'm not wanting to try to get one of these to work..

I could be wrong but I'm sure I read something about a stilo turbo might go on..
It has a gsr induction kit so airbox doesn't matter.

Thanks if you can help. Josh.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

dubsential is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 07-09-2017   #2
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 65
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
Slovenia 
Hey u got a 1.3jtd? I know im not helping . did u ditch the airfilter box and got a sportfilter? Does it work better? I wanted to do that
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Jaka Cvajnar is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 07-09-2017   #3
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 75
Thanks: 1
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Turbo jtd

Yeah it's the earlier jtd the 1.9 jtd.. It's remapped with a gsr induction kit to 127 bhp.. It's now got a full stainless, egr bypass, oil breather to atmosphere, decat,
I think a bleed valves next if no turbo upgrade is available.
Maf is knackered so it's running unplugged until I get one.
Something to add I run the tuning box at its top setting and that's on top of the remap, I'm pretty sure Red dot did it.
No split injector rail and done so for alot of miles.

Oh and yes it's quick and bloody loud.

And it doesn't smoke.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides


Last edited by dubsential; 07-09-2017 at 21:53.
dubsential is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 07-09-2017   #4
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 65
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
Slovenia 
Re: Turbo jtd

Quote Originally Posted by dubsential View Post
Yeah it's the earlier jtd the 1.9 jtd.. It's remapped with a gsr induction kit to 127 bhp.. It's now got a full stainless, egr bypass, oil breather to atmosphere, decat,
I think a bleed valves next if no turbo upgrade is available.
Maf is knackered so it's running unplugged until I get one.
Something to add I run the tuning box at its top setting and that's on top of the remap, I'm pretty sure Red dot did it.
No split injector rail and done so for alot of miles.

Oh and yes it's quick and bloody loud.

And it doesn't smoke.
did u modifie your induction setting for the gsr kit or does ur car have originaly like a box filter like 1.3 jtd?, because i wna change the box filter into gsr or k&n induction. does it even make a differance because some say it doesnt.

what do you mean by egr baypass?

also since u incresed hp so much, did u change the clutch to or do u still run the stock?
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides


Last edited by Jaka Cvajnar; 07-09-2017 at 22:17.
Jaka Cvajnar is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 07-09-2017   #5
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 75
Thanks: 1
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
I mean it's deleted by means of plate at either end of egr valve ie exhaust side, intake side.. Completely blocked.. It does throw a code on multiecu scan..
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

dubsential is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 07-09-2017   #6
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 75
Thanks: 1
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Turbo jtd

sorry missed a load out it ran on the standard Valeo alright maybe toasted it to quick it's now on stage 2 kevlar clutch.
Gsr has a k&n typhoon on now.
It needs a new arch liner as it was slammed before.. Air filter gets exposed to crap. I replaced knackered fk coilovers with vogtland 35mm drop suspension kit.. It's got a momo alloy strut brace.

For a track it's brilliant suspension don't move, countryside roads are interesting lol.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

dubsential is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 07-09-2017   #7
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 65
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
Slovenia 
Re: Turbo jtd

Quote Originally Posted by dubsential View Post
sorry missed a load out it ran on the standard Valeo alright maybe toasted it to quick it's now on stage 2 kevlar clutch.
Gsr has a k&n typhoon on now.
It needs a new arch liner as it was slammed before.. Air filter gets exposed to crap. I replaced knackered fk coilovers with vogtland 35mm drop suspension kit.. It's got a momo alloy strut brace.

For a track it's brilliant suspension don't move, countryside roads are interesting lol.

i read something about deleting egr, but what does that acully do? im gona take egr off for cleaning this weak maybe ill delet is aswell? whats the gain and whats the loss of the delet?


is that k&n airfilter specific to ur model or did u modify it, the only induction system i can find for the 1.3 is this one :https://www.dcperformance.co.uk/chea...sassh7080.html

is it ok?

i can get an KN box filter but idk if thats usefull at all.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Jaka Cvajnar is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 08-09-2017   #8
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 75
Thanks: 1
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Turbo jtd

the egr valve distributes a percentage of the exhaust emissions back in the the air intake side.. For combustion again the problem is the black soot collects and mixes with the oil breather to cause a somewhat black sticky mess and jams the egr valve after some time.

My opinion is I should have reduced intake temps a little and the valve is out of the picture so no more cleaning it..
When they jam open it messes up your performance and can cause plooms of smoke.

Hard to say power increase with it already being tuned.. Some cars don't respond well to egr blanking plates and require either a hole in the plate to reduce the amount it can allow through..
Or an actual software delete which is best done when it's remapped after all your other mods are done.

That air filter is universal so you will be making it fit.. EBay has generic ones like that but bmc is a good brand.

The engine in your punto is somewhat different to mine not just it's size but I think thats the multijet.

The induction kit is universal but it already has a gsr which is a silicone pipe that attaches to the turbo running across in front of the wheel arch.. So it's 2 things mated together.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides


Last edited by dubsential; 08-09-2017 at 11:46.
dubsential is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 08-09-2017   #9
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 65
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
Slovenia 
Re: Turbo jtd

Quote Originally Posted by dubsential View Post
the egr valve distributes a percentage of the exhaust emissions back in the the air intake side.. For combustion again the problem is the black soot collects and mixes with the oil breather to cause a somewhat black sticky mess and jams the egr valve after some time.

My opinion is I should have reduced intake temps a little and the valve is out of the picture so no more cleaning it..
When they jam open it messes up your performance and can cause plooms of smoke.

Hard to say power increase with it already being tuned.. Some cars don't respond well to egr blanking plates and require either a hole in the plate to reduce the amount it can allow through..
Or an actual software delete which is best done when it's remapped after all your other mods are done.


That air filter is universal so you will be making it fit.. EBay has generic ones like that but bmc is a good brand.

The engine in your punto is somewhat different to mine not just it's size but I think thats the multijet.

The induction kit is universal but it already has a gsr which is a silicone pipe that attaches to the turbo running across in front of the wheel arch.. So it's 2 things mated together.

yeah i understand what egr does but i dont understand how to blank/delet it.. i know about the jaming and sticky messs lowering airflow, today i start my cleaning induction system, i have everything from turbo to egr down, the hard part is taking of egr and manifold.. but since i am gona try if i manage i wna delet the egr so i dont bother with the cleaning anymore
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Jaka Cvajnar is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 08-09-2017   #10
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 75
Thanks: 1
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Turbo jtd

basically a metal plate is sandwiched so that it blocks flow on mine.. Bought the plate but you can make one.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

dubsential is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 08-09-2017   #11
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 65
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
Slovenia 
Re: Turbo jtd

Quote Originally Posted by dubsential View Post
basically a metal plate is sandwiched so that it blocks flow on mine.. Bought the plate but you can make one.
oh jeah understand, acually blocking one end so the already burned fuel doesnt go in.. hmm idk.. since my egr is in a ****fest location, taking the blockage off it something goes wrong wont be easy...
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Jaka Cvajnar is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 09-09-2017   #12
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Norfolk UK
Posts: 8,135
Thanks: 353
Blog Entries: 8
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Turbo jtd

Going back to the original question that was asked, your 1.9 is the same basic engine fitted to a wide variety of cars, including the still, multiple and croma, all of which had the option of a few extra ponies so I'm sure there would be some ability to swap the turbo, and if you're having it mapped properly as you already have done then getting it all working shouldn't prove too much of a problem.

It's also worth noting that fiat made the 1.9hgt multijet which had 100hp as standard, possibly had a different turbo but only 100 or so sold in the uk so getting your hands on a turbo would be unlikely.

Where I would look if I were you is at the SAAB 9-3 diesel or the Vauxhall vectra which also use the same 1.9 fiat engine with a 16v head for more power, turbos may also fit your car.

The thing is the grande 1.9 came with 130hp so you could be spending a lot of money getting this working when a change of car could work out cheaper
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

AndyRKett is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 10-09-2017   #13
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 75
Thanks: 1
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Quote Originally Posted by AndyRKett View Post
Going back to the original question that was asked, your 1.9 is the same basic engine fitted to a wide variety of cars, including the still, multiple and croma, all of which had the option of a few extra ponies so I'm sure there would be some ability to swap the turbo, and if you're having it mapped properly as you already have done then getting it all working shouldn't prove too much of a problem.

It's also worth noting that fiat made the 1.9hgt multijet which had 100hp as standard, possibly had a different turbo but only 100 or so sold in the uk so getting your hands on a turbo would be unlikely.

Where I would look if I were you is at the SAAB 9-3 diesel or the Vauxhall vectra which also use the same 1.9 fiat engine with a 16v head for more power, turbos may also fit your car.

The thing is the grande 1.9 came with 130hp so you could be spending a lot of money getting this working when a change of car could work out cheaper
Yes I agree a change of car is really the easiest way but as I do my own mechanics, it's only parts to pay for... However I am really only looking at a bolt on upgrade and something that somebody has done before.. Really it's pretty quick as is but if like say the turbo from the hgt or similar would be nice simple upgrade I'd do that..

I'm fairly sure the 16v models have variable vane units and the head on mine wouldn't work with the turbo.
With mine being Waste gate with electronic controller I thought it might be easy but maybe not.. Shame really.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

dubsential is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 10-09-2017   #14
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Norfolk UK
Posts: 8,135
Thanks: 353
Blog Entries: 8
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Turbo jtd

Quote Originally Posted by dubsential View Post



I'm fairly sure the 16v models have variable vane units and the head on mine wouldn't work with the turbo.

I'd look into it, I remember reading articles around 2005/06 when variable geometry turbos came out, so I'd suspect older cars with more power would just use a larger but conventional turbo charger.

If you can get it all remapped then it should be of benefit, obviously the bigger the turbo the bigger the lag
__________________
For all my Punto and Punto Grande Instructional Videos Visit My YouTube page
MyNew Website is now at www.puntohowto.com
Or check out the Facebook Punto page
AndyRKett is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 10-09-2017   #15
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 75
Thanks: 1
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Quote Originally Posted by AndyRKett View Post
I'd look into it, I remember reading articles around 2005/06 when variable geometry turbos came out, so I'd suspect older cars with more power would just use a larger but conventional turbo charger.

If you can get it all remapped then it should be of benefit, obviously the bigger the turbo the bigger the lag

OK I didn't realise that's the time they came out from what I can see the turbo on the 100bhp / 115bhp is a garret model no 712766 and doesn't appear to be variable vane it's also used on the hgt jtd from what I can see, so I see no reason this can't be used.

But I'm sure someone else would of thought of this as it would be a simple upgrade if it we're a straight swap.
Hmm more research required..
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

dubsential is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(T) JTD Turbo HELP! Texastel Stilo 21 24-02-2010 20:52
(T) New Member - JTD Turbo boost pipe swelling & Silicone Turbo Hose? Lee M Grande Punto 6 15-04-2009 12:39
(T) Turbo on JTD??? lefrog Multipla 0 11-04-2009 17:20
is there a way that a 20v or 16v turbo/punto turbo/uno turbo or jtd turbo can fit on a HGT Paul R FIAT Boo Archives 6 17-04-2005 11:45
BRAVO JTD 105SX Engine Chip/Turbo Conversion (JTD 150SX) Bye Bye Golf CYEBER FIAT Boo Archives 20 06-03-2003 20:34