Register Login
Save up to 15% with Adrian Flux insurance!
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-02-2017   #16
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 73
Thanks: 2
Trader Rating: 0
Finland 
Re: Fiat Punto 1.2L 2000 petrol Trip counter and clock resetting on start

Did a test this morning and I was getting less than 12 Volts even giving it some gas and that was only with for example the lights on. I'm guessing that means I could potentially be draining the battery when driving rather than it keeping charged. I think the battery voltage with engine off has dropped as well which would support my theory.

I'll take the advice and try and clean the contacts at the starter etc. I have no experience of having done this before though and it seems like everything is hidden somewhere around the back.

I thought maybe tightening the belt might help ? Possibly not though.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

PaulTobiasx1/9 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 11-02-2017   #17
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 73
Thanks: 2
Trader Rating: 0
Finland 
Re: Fiat Punto 1.2L 2000 petrol Trip counter and clock resetting on start

Here's a hopefully short summary of what I've done so far just in case anyone finds this thread and is having the same issue.

The only thing I've replaced is the battery despite the guy who sold it to me saying that the battery was only about 2 months old. I have to say he seemed very genuine.

He did also say that he hardly ever drove the car, but on the other hand also claimed he had been keeping the battery charged to keep it in good condition.

Anyway...

1/ After jump starting and going for a fairly long drive, the car still wouldn't start on it's own once trying to start the car on it's own. I've since read that it's not really recommend to do this anyway especially with a totally dead battery as it puts a massive strain on the charging system in the car. You should instead remove the battery from the car and charge with a separate battery charger.

2/ Bought a multimeter, found that the battery was only (I think) around 11.5V which I guess was expected. When the engine was running after jump starting I saw around 13.8V and assumed the alternator was therefore working fine but the battery could not hold the charge.

3/ Bought a new battery as a result of multimeter test, car started fine of course but it took me until this point to realise that if I started actually using electrics on the car the voltage started to drop (I think I saw as low as 11.5V)and I started to question whether maybe the alternator was faulty. In fact the haynes manual says that the alternator should come back up to 13V-14V to compensate but I've read different things in different places about this and Ziggy has above also said that he thinks 12.5V would be a normal reading with heavy loads.

4/ Attempted to tighten the alternator belt to see if I could get better results with electrical load. I think this has been successful, but I still see voltages of around 12.5 if I start using everything, lights, fans, radio.


So I don't know for sure yet if I've fixed it. Maybe the alternator still isn't putting out as much power as it should be, or at least not compensating for the extra power needed when I put all electrics on.

It seems like I have a good minimum 13.8V as long as I don't try and use all of the electrics the whole time I'm driving. I just have to hope the battery doesn't lose charge over time.

Please do reply if anything I've said is utter rubbish, I'm not a mechanic or even an enthusiast. I just don't have the cash to take it to a garage! It would also help me to know if I can expect further problems and the likelihood that I'll be attempting to change the alternator in a couple of weeks time.

Cheers,

Paul
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

PaulTobiasx1/9 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 11-02-2017   #18
`
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 6,132
Thanks: 183
Trader Rating: 0
flisko has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Fiat Punto 1.2L 2000 petrol Trip counter and clock resetting on start

12.5V on idle with everything on is normal
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

flisko is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 24-02-2017   #19
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 73
Thanks: 2
Trader Rating: 0
Finland 
Voltage of the battery has been steadily dropping, after 2 weeks with new battery reading about 12.05v.

I don't even understand how it's going down so slowly, I'm guessing I can safely assume alternator is screwed now?

Paul
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

PaulTobiasx1/9 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 24-02-2017   #20
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Wexford
Posts: 3,019
Thanks: 217
Trader Rating: 0
Brendan W has donated!
Ireland 
Re: Fiat Punto 1.2L 2000 petrol Trip counter and clock resetting on startH

You may have a parasitic drain. Something is drawing current when the car is shut down and slowly running the battery flat. It's normal to have a small draw but things like incorrectly wired aftermarket radios or lights in the boot than do not switch off will draw too much.
Here is a procedure from the Guides section for chasing parasitic drains. https://www.fiatforum.com/punto-mk2-...ing-guide.html
To check your alternator. At idle with no extra loads on you should have approximately 13 Volts at the battery. This should increase to about 14.4 at 2000 rpm and level off.
__________________
2001 1.2 8v

Last edited by Brendan W; 24-02-2017 at 17:25.
Brendan W is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 24-02-2017   #21
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 73
Thanks: 2
Trader Rating: 0
Finland 
Re: Fiat Punto 1.2L 2000 petrol Trip counter and clock resetting on startH

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan W View Post
You may have a parasitic drain. Something is drawing current when the car is shut down and slowly running the battery flat. It's normal to have a small draw but things like incorrectly wired aftermarket radios or lights in the boot than do not switch off will draw too much.
Here is a procedure from the Guides section for chasing parasitic drains. https://www.fiatforum.com/punto-mk2-...ing-guide.html
To check your alternator. At idle with no extra loads on you should have approximately 13 Volts at the battery. This should increase to about 14.4 at 2000 rpm and level off.
Thanks for response Brendan,

I don't believe it is parasitic as I did a test with multimeter (disconnected negative cable and connected from there to negative terminal, looking at the guide I'm supposed to do this with actually the positive terminal though ?). I'm pretty sure the drain was less than 50mA.

I did do a test guessing 2000 rpm (my cheap punto doesn't even have a rev counter). And I'm pretty sure the test was sort of inconclusive, if you read further back I mentioned that when I did the test the voltage did not get to anywhere near 14.4, and with electrics on (which I definitely need this time of year here in Finland) the voltage was only about 12.5V. Some people said this is normal but looking at the guide you linked me to, it said the voltage should only drop slightly. It dropped loads.

Summary,

- I don't believe anymore that it's parasitic drain but maybe I need to test between the +ve cable and terminal instead of -ve.

- Voltage at battery last time I tested properly with rpm was only about 12.v with necessary electrics on. When I tested this morning I was getting about 13.8v idle with no electics.

I have a suspicion that the alternator can't keep up under electrical load but this seems to be a point that not everyone agrees on (answers on this forum claiming 12.5 was okay under load but the linked guide for example and also haynes manual saying that voltage should drop only slightly.

Cheers,

Paul
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

PaulTobiasx1/9 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 24-02-2017   #22
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Wexford
Posts: 3,019
Thanks: 217
Trader Rating: 0
Brendan W has donated!
Ireland 
Re: Fiat Punto 1.2L 2000 petrol Trip counter and clock resetting on startH

Alternator brushes wear out eventually. If you are still on the original unit it owes you nothing.
__________________
2001 1.2 8v
Brendan W is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 24-02-2017   #23
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 73
Thanks: 2
Trader Rating: 0
Finland 
Re: Fiat Punto 1.2L 2000 petrol Trip counter and clock resetting on startH

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan W View Post
Alternator brushes wear out eventually. If you are still on the original unit it owes you nothing.
No way to know as I only bought the car a handful of weeks ago

I think I'll be searching for an alternator.

Paul
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

PaulTobiasx1/9 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 24-02-2017   #24
`
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 6,132
Thanks: 183
Trader Rating: 0
flisko has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Fiat Punto 1.2L 2000 petrol Trip counter and clock resetting on startH

Quote Originally Posted by PaulTobiasx1/9 View Post
Thanks for response Brendan,

I don't believe it is parasitic as I did a test with multimeter (disconnected negative cable and connected from there to negative terminal, looking at the guide I'm supposed to do this with actually the positive terminal though ?). I'm pretty sure the drain was less than 50mA.

I did do a test guessing 2000 rpm (my cheap punto doesn't even have a rev counter). And I'm pretty sure the test was sort of inconclusive, if you read further back I mentioned that when I did the test the voltage did not get to anywhere near 14.4, and with electrics on (which I definitely need this time of year here in Finland) the voltage was only about 12.5V. Some people said this is normal but looking at the guide you linked me to, it said the voltage should only drop slightly. It dropped loads.

Summary,

- I don't believe anymore that it's parasitic drain but maybe I need to test between the +ve cable and terminal instead of -ve.

- Voltage at battery last time I tested properly with rpm was only about 12.v with necessary electrics on. When I tested this morning I was getting about 13.8v idle with no electics.

I have a suspicion that the alternator can't keep up under electrical load but this seems to be a point that not everyone agrees on (answers on this forum claiming 12.5 was okay under load but the linked guide for example and also haynes manual saying that voltage should drop only slightly.

Cheers,

Paul
i remember a while back when i was measuing voltage with mes and it went as low as 12.3V with everything on so i think your alternator is fine, i had lower voltages on every punto like those in that guide and everything worked normal

alternator in that guide must have been high amp or something

reading your previous posts you wrote that voltage drops to only 12V with lights on, thats to low
__________________
.

Last edited by flisko; 24-02-2017 at 19:18.
flisko is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 24-02-2017   #25
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 73
Thanks: 2
Trader Rating: 0
Finland 
Re: Fiat Punto 1.2L 2000 petrol Trip counter and clock resetting on startH

Quote Originally Posted by flisko View Post
i remember a while back when i was measuing voltage with mes and it went as low as 12.3V with everything on so i think your alternator is fine, i had lower voltages on every punto like those in that guide and everything worked normal

alternator in that guide must have been high amp or something

reading your previous posts you wrote that voltage drops to only 12V with lights on, thats to low
It's hard to remember now, but I'm pretty sure that with only the lights on the voltage was okay, maybe around 12.5 or more, but not with the other electrics where it dropped too low. The problem is I need those electrics at the moment, front windscreen blowers, windscreen wipers, rear window heater sometimes. So that's probably where the alternator fails, it could maybe keep the battery charged if I wasn't having to use those.

Since I've purchased a new battery I can't see that the problem can be anything else now. The car has been starting fine but since I've been monitoring the last few days and seeing the voltage slowly decrease I'm pretty sure I'm going to have an issue soon.

I'll give it another test tomorrow and give some accurate figures with certain electrics on.

Paul
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

PaulTobiasx1/9 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 09-03-2017   #26
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 73
Thanks: 2
Trader Rating: 0
Finland 
Re: Fiat Punto 1.2L 2000 petrol Trip counter and clock resetting on startH

Hi all,

Mainly just to help anyone searching the forums I'll give an update.

Have replaced the alternator after realising that the voltages being less than 14.0v with most electrics off really wasn't high enough. I think actually with just some electrics on the voltages were goin as low as and even sometimes lower than 12.5v.

With new alternator the voltages are constantly over 14 volts with engine on, I think it was around 14.3 / 14.4, dropping to at worst just under 14 volts with literally everything on, and that's only at idle rpm.

I think I can conclude that with it being winter here and me having to drive with the lights constantly on and needing at least occasionally wipers / fan blowers etc, the old alternator just couldn't keep up and consequently it was draining my battery over the course of 1 - 2 weeks resulting eventually in failure to start.

The battery I replaced seems to have no issues, charged it indoors and it's retained 12.7 volts for a couple of weeks sat in the cupboard.

I would recommend anyone having issues to carefully check voltages with voltmeter and make sure the alternator can keep up when electrics are being used.

Cheers,

Paul
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

PaulTobiasx1/9 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(G) Resetting Trip Computer jackgoughblah Grande Punto 2 25-05-2014 12:26
trip counter resetting on its own? Kyle FIAT Boo Archives 2 24-06-2010 15:33
(T) trip counter resetting on its own? kajl Bravo / Brava 0 22-06-2010 21:03
'53 reg Punto - Trip counter Reset? Spuddyboy3 Car Care 1 07-12-2009 07:41