Register Login
FIAT Auto Specialist Team
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 16-12-2014   #1
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Beverley
Posts: 27
Thanks: 1
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Unhappy MK2b won't start, won't turn over.

Attempted to start my punto earlier, got it started with a little acceleration for a few seconds before it stalled.

After this, any attempt to start it fails. Doesn't turn over, tries to for a split second before it all goes quiet.

When my ignition is turned, my lights work fine, so the battery isn't dead?
Jump start didn't change anything
Last driven 3 days ago.

Help! I don't mind if you're patronising, I'm ignorant towards cars :/
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Creepy Nick is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 16-12-2014   #2
Student Mechanic
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 86
Thanks: 2
Trader Rating: 0
joncoxon has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: MK2b won't start, won't turn over.

when the key's turned to position 2, can you hear the fuel pump prime, a slight hum from under the rear seat. My initial thought. does the starter motor still try to engage also?
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

joncoxon is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 16-12-2014   #3
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Beverley
Posts: 27
Thanks: 1
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: MK2b won't start, won't turn over.

Quote Originally Posted by joncoxon View Post
when the key's turned to position 2, can you hear the fuel pump prime, a slight hum from under the rear seat. My initial thought. does the starter motor still try to engage also?
Yes it does prime, it 'tries' to start for about half a second or so, before slowing to a halt and silence.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Creepy Nick is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 16-12-2014   #4
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 27,676
Thanks: 1226
Blog Entries: 3
Trader Rating: 5
fingers99 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: MK2b won't start, won't turn over.

That's normal for the fuel pump.

First guess is that the battery is too flat to turn the engine over. The starter draw is vastly more than the lights. Recharge or jump leads.

Second is an earth fault. Try a single jumper lead from battery negative to a solid, metallic part of the engine or gearbox.
__________________
M12 fund 20
fingers99 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 16-12-2014   #5
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Wexford
Posts: 3,018
Thanks: 217
Trader Rating: 0
Brendan W has donated!
Ireland 
Re: MK2b won't start, won't turn over.


And check the security of the connections at the starter motor.
__________________
2001 1.2 8v
Brendan W is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 16-12-2014   #6
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Beverley
Posts: 27
Thanks: 1
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: MK2b won't start, won't turn over.

Quote Originally Posted by fingers99 View Post
That's normal for the fuel pump.

First guess is that the battery is too flat to turn the engine over. The starter draw is vastly more than the lights. Recharge or jump leads.

Second is an earth fault. Try a single jumper lead from battery negative to a solid, metallic part of the engine or gearbox.
Tried a jump start earlier, made no difference. still fails to even crank up, it does for a split second then slows to a stop
You mean a single jump lead from my negative terminal to a metal part of the engine?
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides


Last edited by Creepy Nick; 16-12-2014 at 20:41.
Creepy Nick is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 16-12-2014   #7
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 16,588
Thanks: 911
Trader Rating: 0
Ziggy122 has donated!
Eggs Champion, Fruit Pairs Champion
United Kingdom 
Re: MK2b won't start, won't turn over.

Quote Originally Posted by Creepy Nick View Post
Tried a jump start earlier, made no difference. still fails to even crank up, it does for a split second then slows to a stop
You mean a single jump lead from my negative terminal to a metal part of the engine?

So we have a no start situation
Check
A the battery voltage is okay
B The battery terminals are clean and secure

The negative jump lead on engine mount and then to the battery negative is a good way when the engine turns over poorly due to a poorly earth

Ziggy
__________________
!!WANTED!! 3dr Mk2 Punto Roof Bars !!WANTED!!

Meet Bumble-Bee



Last edited by Ziggy122; 16-12-2014 at 23:15.
Ziggy122 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 17-12-2014   #8
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Beverley
Posts: 27
Thanks: 1
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: MK2b won't start, won't turn over.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy122 View Post
So we have a no start situation
Check
A the battery voltage is okay
B The battery terminals are clean and secure

The negative jump lead on engine mount and then to the battery negative is a good way when the engine turns over poorly due to a poorly earth

Ziggy

Negative to ground didn't do anything either. I'll upload a video to show you what its doing.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Creepy Nick is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 17-12-2014   #9
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Cannock, Staffordshire
Posts: 800
Thanks: 37
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: MK2b won't start, won't turn over.

Quote Originally Posted by Creepy Nick View Post
Negative to ground didn't do anything either. I'll upload a video to show you what its doing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgjZgqxLFjc
Have you tried leaving the battery on charge for a few hours and try starting it then. Maybe something wasn't right when you tried jump starting it
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

oXRUSSXo is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 17-12-2014   #10
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Cannock, Staffordshire
Posts: 800
Thanks: 37
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: MK2b won't start, won't turn over.

Quote Originally Posted by Creepy Nick View Post
Negative to ground didn't do anything either. I'll upload a video to show you what its doing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgjZgqxLFjc
Or have you tried rocking it to see if its stuck in gear. Try with the simple solutions first
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

oXRUSSXo is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 17-12-2014   #11
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 16,588
Thanks: 911
Trader Rating: 0
Ziggy122 has donated!
Eggs Champion, Fruit Pairs Champion
United Kingdom 
Re: MK2b won't start, won't turn over.

The starter is engaging but no engine turning over (solenoid on starter working)

Id be checking thr engine can turn over by hand

Either the battery is flat as a pancake ir id suspect the starter has died
__________________
!!WANTED!! 3dr Mk2 Punto Roof Bars !!WANTED!!

Meet Bumble-Bee


Ziggy122 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 17-12-2014   #12
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Cannock, Staffordshire
Posts: 800
Thanks: 37
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: MK2b won't start, won't turn over.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy122 View Post
The starter is engaging but no engine turning over (solenoid on starter working)

Id be checking thr engine can turn over by hand

Either the battery is flat as a pancake ir id suspect the starter has died
If you stick the battery on charge overnight you will rule out the flat battery which is possible with this freezing weather if your battery was low anyway.

Then I would start looking at the starter motor
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

oXRUSSXo is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 17-12-2014   #13
`
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 6,118
Thanks: 183
Trader Rating: 0
flisko has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: MK2b won't start, won't turn over.

you can also probably rule out alternator as when my alternator brushes were gone there was just a click when i turned key
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

flisko is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 17-12-2014   #14
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 27,676
Thanks: 1226
Blog Entries: 3
Trader Rating: 5
fingers99 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: MK2b won't start, won't turn over.

Quote Originally Posted by flisko View Post
you can also probably rule out alternator as when my alternator brushes were gone there was just a click when i turned key
But that's just the battery having gone flat as a result of the alternator failure.

I suspect deceased battery -- lots of places will test fer nowt.
__________________
M12 fund 20
fingers99 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 17-12-2014   #15
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Beverley
Posts: 27
Thanks: 1
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: MK2b won't start, won't turn over.

Quote Originally Posted by fingers99 View Post
But that's just the battery having gone flat as a result of the alternator failure.

I suspect deceased battery -- lots of places will test fer nowt.
I'll check the battery voltages tomorrow
Likes oXRUSSXo liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Creepy Nick is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(T) Engine won't turn over HanFob93 Punto (Mk1) 2 08-05-2014 09:59
(T) engine won't start won't bump start engine seized ? seanhyde Cinquecento / Seicento 43 23-01-2012 14:33
new mamber help engine won't turn overor bump start seanhyde Newbie Central 2 13-12-2011 16:16
(T) Engine won't turn over/start Kalby Punto (Mk2/2b) 4 25-05-2011 12:48
(T) Car won't turn over BrumBrum Punto (Mk2/2b) 19 05-11-2009 09:52