Register Login
im Axle Specialists
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 21-01-2010   #1
You got Punto'ed
 
Momanatorz's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Beckton, London
Posts: 586
Thanks: 5
Trader Rating: 0
Momanatorz has donated!
United Kingdom 
Wrong strut brace or does my car have wrong suspensin mounts?

Main problem is that the holes are the wrong way around. or am i wrong? the plastic clips from the strut should go in the small holes in the brace, right? and the bolts in the bigger holes.
well no matter what i've tried i can't managed to turn it around so the holes line up with the right sized holes on the car.
also the brake fluid reservoir is in the way... do you have to bend the bracket?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00810.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	618.2 KB
ID:	72846  
__________________
...The New Momanatorz...
Momanatorz is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 21-01-2010   #2
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,213
Thanks: 267
Trader Rating: 0
MikeSalt has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Wrong strut brace or does my car have wrong suspensin mounts?

Because the hole layout has rotational symmetry, the only degree of freedom I can see is to turn it upside down. Does that work, or does it foul the suspension turrets that way?

Also, some strut braces do require so form of 'mild adjustment' to the brake fluid reservoir support.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

MikeSalt is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 21-01-2010   #3
You got Punto'ed
 
Momanatorz's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Beckton, London
Posts: 586
Thanks: 5
Trader Rating: 0
Momanatorz has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Wrong strut brace or does my car have wrong suspensin mounts?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSalt View Post
Because the hole layout has rotational symmetry, the only degree of freedom I can see is to turn it upside down. Does that work, or does it foul the suspension turrets that way?

Also, some strut braces do require so form of 'mild adjustment' to the brake fluid reservoir support.
If i turn it upside down, the brace doesn't sit flush on the cars body near the strut mounts... can't be right.
Oh and i fitted the spax shocks with the new springs, very nice ride and very little body roll
__________________
...The New Momanatorz...
Momanatorz is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 21-01-2010   #4
You got Punto'ed
 
Momanatorz's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Beckton, London
Posts: 586
Thanks: 5
Trader Rating: 0
Momanatorz has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Wrong strut brace or does my car have wrong suspensin mounts?

it surely can't be possible for the strut brace mounts to be built accidentally upside down? Lol! hmmmmmmmmmm
__________________
...The New Momanatorz...
Momanatorz is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 21-01-2010   #5
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,213
Thanks: 267
Trader Rating: 0
MikeSalt has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Wrong strut brace or does my car have wrong suspensin mounts?

I can see, the vertical braces between the bracket and bar would get in the way if upside down. Are you sure that the bolts will not go through the smaller holes. It may be that they are smaller to ensure not flex against the bolt, and the others are bigger since the plastic clip wouldn't be long enough to latch against them, so it's just an oversize hole.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

MikeSalt is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 21-01-2010   #6
You got Punto'ed
 
Momanatorz's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Beckton, London
Posts: 586
Thanks: 5
Trader Rating: 0
Momanatorz has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Wrong strut brace or does my car have wrong suspensin mounts?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSalt View Post
I can see, the vertical braces between the bracket and bar would get in the way if upside down. Are you sure that the bolts will not go through the smaller holes. It may be that they are smaller to ensure not flex against the bolt, and the others are bigger since the plastic clip wouldn't be long enough to latch against them, so it's just an oversize hole.
Ah I see what you mean, I will try taking the strut mount bolts out tomorrow and seeing if they WILL fit through the strut brace smaller holes. I estimated at the time and looked as though they would definitely not fit through.
Cheers
__________________
...The New Momanatorz...
Momanatorz is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 21-01-2010   #7
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,213
Thanks: 267
Trader Rating: 0
MikeSalt has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Wrong strut brace or does my car have wrong suspensin mounts?

The bolts at the top are not that thick as far as I remember, so it is perfectly possible that the smaller holes are for those bolts. It makes sense since there is no reason for the plastic clips to attach to the strut since it is non-structural. The clips are just a convenience to hold the strut before you put the bolts in (an absolute blessing if you are doing this job on your own)
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

MikeSalt is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 21-01-2010   #8
You got Punto'ed
 
Momanatorz's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Beckton, London
Posts: 586
Thanks: 5
Trader Rating: 0
Momanatorz has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Wrong strut brace or does my car have wrong suspensin mounts?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSalt View Post
The bolts at the top are not that thick as far as I remember, so it is perfectly possible that the smaller holes are for those bolts. It makes sense since there is no reason for the plastic clips to attach to the strut since it is non-structural. The clips are just a convenience to hold the strut before you put the bolts in (an absolute blessing if you are doing this job on your own)

I didn't give it much thought lol.
Yeah those clips are amazing...
__________________
...The New Momanatorz...
Momanatorz is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(G) what is wrong with my car Rich_65402 Punto (Mk2/2b) 6 25-10-2008 17:06
(T) Help - What is wrong with our car? zoecan Punto (Mk2/2b) 4 22-02-2008 19:05
(T) What's wrong with my car??? Help!!! niamhh Punto (Mk1) 10 10-01-2008 20:08
(G) I didn't buy the wrong car I just live in the wrong place allanhelen Grande Punto 7 03-06-2007 18:08
(G) Engine Mounts & Strut Brace(s) Tarquin Panda (Classic) 6 23-04-2007 18:59