Register Login
Shop4Parts - UK's largest online superstore for FIAT and Alfa Romeo parts
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2010   #1
Ginger
 
MrBoney's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bournemouth
Posts: 411
Thanks: 14
Trader Rating: 0
MrBoney has donated!
United Kingdom 
A not so obvious benefit of the Evo over the Grande

The good thing about the Evo is that as it is a Facelift over the Grande they have had 3 years to get all the little niggles that appear when a completely new car is designed sorted. I bought my grande in 2007 less than a year after it went on sale, so a 2009 buyer of the same car already had all the niggles ironed out before they even decided to get one.

Don't get me wrong I love my Grande but it has had recalls and problems along the way like all new door handles, door seals, front shock absorbers and struts, flimsy trim replacements and so on.

BUT the Evo also had a BRAND new multiair unit and who knows that could throw up a whole new bunch of issues. My point is though that the basic car design is the same so *fingers crossed* the Evo shouldn't have these issues like the Grande did.

Lastly thanks to the success of the Fiat 500 there was alot more money to design the Evo with, so let's hope us buyers of Evos won't be plaugued with the same problems many Grande owners have had
__________________
Punto Evo, 1.4 MultiAir 105 Eleganza 5dr, ESP + Hill Holder, Ambient White, Leather Interior (front armrest and ambient lighting), Skydome Roof, Style Pack (cornering fogs, rear electric windows and side rubbing strips), Metallic Bumper Mouldings, Reverse Parking Sensors, Mudflaps.
MrBoney is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 09-04-2010   #2
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,658
Thanks: 198
Trader Rating: 0
adamcot has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: A not so obvious benefit of the Evo over the Grande

Quote Originally Posted by MrBoney View Post
The good thing about the Evo is that as it is a Facelift over the Grande they have had 3 years to get all the little niggles that appear when a completely new car is designed sorted. I bought my grande in 2007 less than a year after it went on sale, so a 2009 buyer of the same car already had all the niggles ironed out before they even decided to get one.

Don't get me wrong I love my Grande but it has had recalls and problems along the way like all new door handles, door seals, front shock absorbers and struts, flimsy trim replacements and so on.

BUT the Evo also had a BRAND new multiair unit and who knows that could throw up a whole new bunch of issues. My point is though that the basic car design is the same so *fingers crossed* the Evo shouldn't have these issues like the Grande did.

Lastly thanks to the success of the Fiat 500 there was alot more money to design the Evo with, so let's hope us buyers of Evos won't be plaugued with the same problems many Grande owners have had
The Evo has only been out a few months. How do you know that these problems won't start arising after 6 months

I would expect there to be no problems with the car due to the £2000 price hike over the Grande.
__________________
Porsche Boxster S, Abarth 500
adamcot is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 09-04-2010   #3
Telford's Own...
 
Ffoxy's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 9,824
Thanks: 373
Trader Rating: 0
Ffoxy has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: A not so obvious benefit of the Evo over the Grande

Quote Originally Posted by MrBoney View Post
The good thing about the Evo is that as it is a Facelift over the Grande they have had 3 years to get all the little niggles that appear when a completely new car is designed sorted. I bought my grande in 2007 less than a year after it went on sale, so a 2009 buyer of the same car already had all the niggles ironed out before they even decided to get one.

Don't get me wrong I love my Grande but it has had recalls and problems along the way like all new door handles, door seals, front shock absorbers and struts, flimsy trim replacements and so on.

BUT the Evo also had a BRAND new multiair unit and who knows that could throw up a whole new bunch of issues. My point is though that the basic car design is the same so *fingers crossed* the Evo shouldn't have these issues like the Grande did.

Lastly thanks to the success of the Fiat 500 there was alot more money to design the Evo with, so let's hope us buyers of Evos won't be plaugued with the same problems many Grande owners have had
Lol.... lots of basic stuff in the GP came from the Punto Mk2b... still the same stuff... wait a bit & see if Fiat have ironed out the "characteristics" of a Fiat...
__________________
Ex Suzuki SV1000S jockey, now a former 1.9 MJet Grande Punto Sporting pilot curently driving a Hyundai i30 1.6 Premium.
Ffoxy is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 09-04-2010   #4
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bristol
Posts: 857
Thanks: 23
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: A not so obvious benefit of the Evo over the Grande

Well, im expecting the odd recall as it is a new car / new engine.

But, i should hope for the price hike & general feel of the car (higher standard), there wont be any silly issues like rubber seals & leather steering wheel crumbling etc, if i get any silly things like that i wont be too impressed.


that said, there's 2 little spots on the car i'll point out to the dealership when i go down there for my blue&me tomtom to be sorted, 1 bit of rubber on the driver side rear passenger isnt as well fitted as id like (looking up at it, you can see under it), and one of the triangle surroundings around the passenger mini-front window is very pointy & snagged/ripped my meguiars polish applicator earlier.
__________________

2010 Punto Evo Eleganza - 1.4 Multiair (105) - Progressive Black
Blank2k2 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 09-04-2010   #5
Telford's Own...
 
Ffoxy's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 9,824
Thanks: 373
Trader Rating: 0
Ffoxy has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: A not so obvious benefit of the Evo over the Grande

Quote Originally Posted by Blank2k2 View Post
Well, im expecting the odd recall as it is a new car / new engine.

But, i should hope for the price hike & general feel of the car (higher standard), there wont be any silly issues like rubber seals & leather steering wheel crumbling etc, if i get any silly things like that i wont be too impressed.


that said, there's 2 little spots on the car i'll point out to the dealership when i go down there for my blue&me tomtom to be sorted, 1 bit of rubber on the driver side rear passenger isnt as well fitted as id like (looking up at it, you can see under it), and one of the triangle surroundings around the passenger mini-front window is very pointy & snagged/ripped my meguiars polish applicator earlier.
All things experienced on the GP! As for the price hike... well lets say the drop in the value of the UK£ versus the € saw to that. Trust me, pretty soon you'll feel like one of the gang!
__________________
Ex Suzuki SV1000S jockey, now a former 1.9 MJet Grande Punto Sporting pilot curently driving a Hyundai i30 1.6 Premium.
Ffoxy is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 09-04-2010   #6
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bristol
Posts: 857
Thanks: 23
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: A not so obvious benefit of the Evo over the Grande

Quote Originally Posted by Ffoxy View Post
All things experienced on the GP! As for the price hike... well lets say the drop in the value of the UK£ versus the € saw to that. Trust me, pretty soon you'll feel like one of the gang!
Well its all fine as long as they sort it without any questions, just wanna get it done before they can label things as wear & tear.

Warranty's fine, when they expect me to pay for stuff ill start slating fiat :P til then im more than happy

Well i didnt get that bad a price on it anyway tbh, £12,500 is what i paid in the end i think ... as i was one of the first to get one aswell, i cant really grumble
__________________

2010 Punto Evo Eleganza - 1.4 Multiair (105) - Progressive Black
Blank2k2 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 09-04-2010   #7
Telford's Own...
 
Ffoxy's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 9,824
Thanks: 373
Trader Rating: 0
Ffoxy has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: A not so obvious benefit of the Evo over the Grande

Quote Originally Posted by Blank2k2 View Post
Well its all fine as long as they sort it without any questions, just wanna get it done before they can label things as wear & tear.

Warranty's fine, when they expect me to pay for stuff ill start slating fiat :P til then im more than happy

Well i didnt get that bad a price on it anyway tbh, £12,500 is what i paid in the end i think ... as i was one of the first to get one aswell, i cant really grumble
The few niggly things I had were done no quibble, even though I never used a Fiat garage for servicing. I'd never buy new though, got my 56plate MJet 3&half years back for £9,200 with 1,500 miles on it.
__________________
Ex Suzuki SV1000S jockey, now a former 1.9 MJet Grande Punto Sporting pilot curently driving a Hyundai i30 1.6 Premium.
Ffoxy is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 09-04-2010   #8
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bristol
Posts: 857
Thanks: 23
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: A not so obvious benefit of the Evo over the Grande

Quote Originally Posted by Ffoxy View Post
The few niggly things I had were done no quibble, even though I never used a Fiat garage for servicing. I'd never buy new though, got my 56plate MJet 3&half years back for £9,200 with 1,500 miles on it.
I'd usually opt for used aswell but i've always been told you've got to have atleast 1 new car, so ive done that now, and im happy with my Evo

next car i have no doubt will be used though, but thats good few years out yet!
__________________

2010 Punto Evo Eleganza - 1.4 Multiair (105) - Progressive Black
Blank2k2 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 09-04-2010   #9
Telford's Own...
 
Ffoxy's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 9,824
Thanks: 373
Trader Rating: 0
Ffoxy has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: A not so obvious benefit of the Evo over the Grande

Quote Originally Posted by Blank2k2 View Post
I'd usually opt for used aswell but i've always been told you've got to have atleast 1 new car, so ive done that now, and im happy with my Evo

next car i have no doubt will be used though, but thats good few years out yet!
Fair play,... just enjoy it, take care of it and fix it if / when it breaks.
All cars do, Fiat are no worse than any budget - mid quality range of cars TBH. I have nothing but praise for my car, been truly great value for money, given me miles of smiles & never.. EVER let me down.
__________________
Ex Suzuki SV1000S jockey, now a former 1.9 MJet Grande Punto Sporting pilot curently driving a Hyundai i30 1.6 Premium.
Ffoxy is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 09-04-2010   #10
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bristol
Posts: 857
Thanks: 23
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: A not so obvious benefit of the Evo over the Grande

Quote Originally Posted by Ffoxy View Post
Fair play,... just enjoy it, take care of it and fix it if / when it breaks.
All cars do, Fiat are no worse than any budget - mid quality range of cars TBH. I have nothing but praise for my car, been truly great value for money, given me miles of smiles & never.. EVER let me down.
my last (and first) car was a Fiat Punto 60SX, bought it when it was 5 years old with about 11k miles on the clock, thing was spotless inside, abit of faded paint on the bonnet (red, always used to fade so no surprise there.)

over the years, replaced a few tyres, an exhaust, couple of brake pads, 2/3 sets of budget wiper blades....and just traded it in under scrappy scheme for the Evo.

10 years old, drove it like a boy racer when i first got it & the whole 50mph over speed bumps etc never had a problem, spent far less money than I could of ever expected on maintenance, had a couple of friends who bought similar aged cars and replaced em 2 or 3 times in that time due to expensive repairs.

For that reason alone I set my sights on the Fiat above all other manufacturer.... it saw me well, ill trust em to see me well for another few years
__________________

2010 Punto Evo Eleganza - 1.4 Multiair (105) - Progressive Black
Blank2k2 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 10-04-2010   #11
Banned
 
punto_matt's Avatar
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 14,565
Thanks: 713
Trader Rating: 0
punto_matt has donated!
Western Samoa 
Re: A not so obvious benefit of the Evo over the Grande

Fiat fixing faults? Dont make me laugh
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

punto_matt is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 12-04-2010   #12
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: York
Posts: 58
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: A not so obvious benefit of the Evo over the Grande

Got fantastic weather up where I am at the moment so i've been driving all over the place.

Drove into town earlier to drop something off at work, once i got back in to head out again... Engine management light came on and kept getting a scrolling 'check engine' message.

At first, I thought it might have something to do with a few nights ago when I pushed it pretty far but then I noticed that the start / stop system wouldnt turn on either.

Took it straight to dealership and explained my problem and ended up leaving my car with them whilst I went window shopping. Went back 45mins later and everything was fixed again. Apparently, a sensor needed reseting cause (something to do with the neutral gear)

Got about 1,050 on the clock now since 15th March. I love this car so much
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Danmalone is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 13-04-2010   #13
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bristol
Posts: 857
Thanks: 23
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: A not so obvious benefit of the Evo over the Grande

Quote Originally Posted by Danmalone View Post
Got fantastic weather up where I am at the moment so i've been driving all over the place.

Drove into town earlier to drop something off at work, once i got back in to head out again... Engine management light came on and kept getting a scrolling 'check engine' message.

At first, I thought it might have something to do with a few nights ago when I pushed it pretty far but then I noticed that the start / stop system wouldnt turn on either.

Took it straight to dealership and explained my problem and ended up leaving my car with them whilst I went window shopping. Went back 45mins later and everything was fixed again. Apparently, a sensor needed reseting cause (something to do with the neutral gear)

Got about 1,050 on the clock now since 15th March. I love this car so much
Scary, but gota love having a warranty so you can just throw it back at a dealership n leave it for an hour for free

i've got 453 on mine since err... around the same time

I love mine too its a great car, ive pushed it a few times & it seems to respond pretty well... still not had it on motorway properly yet though will go upto manchester with it soon!
__________________

2010 Punto Evo Eleganza - 1.4 Multiair (105) - Progressive Black

Last edited by Blank2k2; 13-04-2010 at 00:22.
Blank2k2 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 13-04-2010   #14
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hertfordshire
Posts: 58
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: A not so obvious benefit of the Evo over the Grande

All new stuff breaks or has niggles but it is good to know that you can get it fixed by the dealership. Spoke to my dealer yesterday who confirmed my order had gone through and should have it 2nd or 3rd week of June
__________________
Punto Evo 1.4 (135) Sporting - Leather Interior, Body Coloured Side Rubbing Strips, Visibility Pack, Auto Dual Zone Climate Control, Style Pack, Rear Parking Sensors, Exotica Red - Goes Like Stink!
MojoWill is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 13-04-2010   #15
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bristol
Posts: 857
Thanks: 23
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: A not so obvious benefit of the Evo over the Grande

Quote Originally Posted by MojoWill View Post
All new stuff breaks or has niggles but it is good to know that you can get it fixed by the dealership. Spoke to my dealer yesterday who confirmed my order had gone through and should have it 2nd or 3rd week of June
waiting times are painful, surely they can pump em out faster than that!

Though, i did hear they were now building cars to order rather than building a stockpiles n stuff.... but still!
__________________

2010 Punto Evo Eleganza - 1.4 Multiair (105) - Progressive Black

Last edited by Blank2k2; 13-04-2010 at 11:12.
Blank2k2 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(G) Buying Advice: Evo or Grande or something else? jsdickinson Grande Punto 18 06-03-2010 14:25
(G) Grande Punto or Evo Puma Boy Grande Punto 15 25-01-2010 00:17
(G) Grande Punto Evo B.L.A.C.K Grande Grande Punto 17 22-10-2009 11:52
Grande punto Evo. claymore Leisure Lounge 5 12-10-2009 21:56
(G) Evo dashboard in the grande stefuno2 Grande Punto 9 09-10-2009 09:16