Styling Dashboard / instrument leds

Currently reading:
Styling Dashboard / instrument leds

ronnieronson

Bring On The Trumpets!
I know I risk repeating a topic that has been covered many times on here but here goes...

Having read every single post I can find about interior bulbs, scoured my haynes manual, and trawled ebay, I cant seem to find out what the type of bulbs are called required to change :-

*Clock illumination bulb
*heater controls bulbs
*dash instrument panel bulbs

Also I'm not sure hoe many I need - afaik its 4 bulbs for the instrument panel (or is it just 3?), two for the heater controls and one for the clock.

Basically I'm after converting them all to blue LED - if anyone knows what fitments I need or cant recommend an ebayer / retailer to buy them from (I have already tried crazyleds)...

:confused:

Edit: possibly found something - a 509t bulb? anyone used these?

Last edited:
....Ok, so I've taken my dash apart - seems like the twist lock 509t LED's will fit for the clock, and dash gauges - but I cant figure out what bulbs I need for the heater controls - would it be a 286?

looks like this:-

bulb.jpg

yo mate

yeh this is a repeated subject but i'd like to add my 2 cents and say dont bother with little naf LED's for the heater controls and make your own circuit board for some! really! because the socket goes at one end, the other end gets little light and the green on the dial doesnt let much through apart from green!

curcuit board, i did!

i did one and then got side tracked and endud up losing the other LEDs for the bottom one so i wil bashing it out again next trip to Maplin

if you want me to make you some for minimal price, let me know

u can see pics on my website page

but if you do want some unfulfilling ones then they are these:

http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/default.php?cPath=44_61&osCsid=30f802c2bebf2787e3fca47c108f9148

this site is the best for LEDs mate

AxelEph

are you planning to replace all the dash warning lights with LEDs too? If you do, do not replace the battery warning or ECU lights. The car really doesnt like that, led to me buying a new alternator that i didnt need and getting very peeved off with the car!

are you planning to replace all the dash warning lights with LEDs too? If you do, do not replace the battery warning or ECU lights. The car really doesnt like that, led to me buying a new alternator that i didnt need and getting very peeved off with the car!

im sure they read that warning in guides section ;)

im sure they read that warning in guides section ;)

lol yeah I'd already picked up on that one - but thanks for the reminder.
I'm pretty sure I don't have light for the ecu (my cinq is an 899), but in either case I only have intentions to do the heater lights, clock, speedo, fuel and oil temp.

Now then - here's part two, managed to source some leds which should arrive tomorrow or friday.
It's pretty obvious how to fit twist lock style bulbs, but I'm a tad foxed about fitting the bulbs for the heater guages.
I didn't really try too hard yet to remove the existing bulbs, but do they just pull out or is there a knack to getting them out?

Thanks for your help so far guys - some useful info come out of this thread for me :D :worship:

heater control lights just pull out.

not easy mind and i remember using some pliers when i had a punto and broke one of the bulbs in its hiolder....not fun!

so just be carefull and wiggle is the best way

PS the leccy window buttons are also the same as heater controls

also

you haven't mentioned anythin yet about your button LEDs

does that mean you know all about them and the fact u need to solder the one behind your headlight/sidelight button?

if you don't know about these, then they are simple. take the switch apart and but in a 3v...i think...LED. i bought mine from maplin and they juut push in. but be sure you put them in the right way! alse they wil blow. the buttons already have resistors so best check the colour code of them and find out the voltage drop before buying the LEDs.

Note: the headlight/sidelight switch doesnt have a resistor.

PS. while your dash is in pieces can you do me a favor and take a good picture of the circuit board behind the dials. am thinking seriously about ripping it out and customising it by puting in LEDs in the actual places cos the placement at the moment is annoying as it doesnt distribute properly.

PM would be awesome :)

thanks mate and good luck

AxelEph

Thanks for all your help guys - just finished putting the bulbs in, and from what I can tell things look peachy :D
Too early to tell the full effect but if I can think on I shall post some photos tonight when it's gone dark.

:slayer:

Just had a little thought (mainly because the sticky doesn't explain things 100%) - how exactly do I go about removing the green glass from behind my dials?
I'm very nervous about totally screwing up my mileometer etc, so any advice on this would be a godsend...

:confused:

Edit: ...Ooh, also meant to ask - there is a larger bulb behind my clocks, which is a twist fit - can't seem to find out what the size is on that one, or whether a blue led replacement is available... Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Edit: ...Ooh, also meant to ask - there is a larger bulb behind my clocks, which is a twist fit - can't seem to find out what the size is on that one, or whether a blue led replacement is available... Any thoughts?

On the mondeo there is a twist fit type bulb for the headlight switch, that is size 501 and it is available to have a blue LED, there is an ebay power seller that does them.

Maybe could be it reg. size?

is that not the battery light?

Erm.... the battary light seems to be at the bottom of the gauge assembly (899cc dash), but tbh I'm not 100% what that bulb is for.... I can only assume it's the main bulb for the speedo, purely because of where it is positioned.
As you look at the guages (with them installed) the bulb is positioned toward the top left of the speedo...

It's hard to tell whether it comes on with the other bulbs at the mo because it's still really bright outside :(

Erm.... the battary light seems to be at the bottom of the gauge assembly (899cc dash), but tbh I'm not 100% what that bulb is for....(

...well - I got it sussed, its a standard 501 bulb - just ordered me a Led replacement (4x 3mm leds) :)

So.... anyone got details on my dodgy green glass?

:p

Hi there,

I'm planning on doing a similar mod to you, ronnieronson, and wondered how you got at the back of the speedo? I've managed to get the dash off and had a look at the instrument panels bulbs so I know what I'm doing there, but cannot get behind the speedo as there is something holding it in place behind the body (I've got the four screws around the panel off). Also, where did you find a replacement set of LEDs for the bulb that you found back there?

Finally, did you end up just bunging LEDs behind the vent controls or did u get a PCB off of Axeleph?

Cheers dude, looking forward to some pics...

Al.

Last edited:
Hi there,

I'm planning on doing a similar mod to you, ronnieronson, and wondered how you got at the back of the speedo? I've managed to get the dash off and had a look at the instrument panels bulbs so I know what I'm doing there, but cannot get behind the speedo as there is something holding it in place behind the body (I've got the four screws around the panel off). Also, where did you find a replacement set of LEDs for the bulb that you found back there?

Finally, did you end up just bunging LEDs behind the vent controls or did u get a PCB off of Axeleph?

Cheers dude, looking forward to some pics...

Al.

wow - this post seems like it was an eternity ago.
It was on my old car - an 899 cinq, never really got round to sorting the speedo bulbs tbh - gave up and put the standard white ones back in...
Sorry :eek:

No worries, I shall endure... did you take any pics of the instrument panel with the LEDs in place?

Also, how did you get at the back of the speedo? I can't get at mine coz it's attached to something at the back, I reckon it's the engine odometer connection. Cheers!

Last edited:
No worries, I shall endure... did you take any pics of the instrument panel with the LEDs in place?

Also, how did you get at the back of the speedo? I can't get at mine coz it's attached to something at the back, I reckon it's the engine odometer connection. Cheers!

erm, can't remember - if I did then they're long lost by now :(

I never did figure out how to get into the speedo I'm afraid - sorry :(

Back