Technical Marea not firing on 1st cylinder

Currently reading:
Technical Marea not firing on 1st cylinder

scubarooney

I parked my car up in evening and when started it in the morning started to fire on 3 cylinders. Was told there is a spark but could be injector problem on no 1 cylinder. Could anybody please advise and a rough cost to get repaired.

There is also an engine management light on.:confused:

first use a multimeter to diagnose injector failure. you can be fairly certain that it is injector failure since the 1.6s are very very very prone to it, and it almost always happens on cylinder 1, but i would still check to make sure.

to measure the resistance of the injectors, disconnect the injector wiring hanress connector. this is at the right hand side of the fuel rail when looking in engine bay. inside the connector there are 5 pins. the centre pin is the earth. touch the black terminal of the multimeter on this pin. the other 4 pins are each for an injector. touch the red terminal of the multimeter on each of these pins, making a note of the resistance for each pin.

each injector should have a resistance between 14.5-15ohms. if any are lower than 13ohms i would replace them.

if you search for posts by me (jug) and search for 'injector' you should find plenty to help you out. you should also find instructions detailing how to change the injector. its very easy.

a scrapyard injector will only cost you a small amount (i usually pay £5 for 1 injector)

make sure you get the correct injector, there are two types- 4hole and 2hole. the best way to make sure you get the correct one is to remove it from an engine exactly like yours. there are 2 different inlet manifolds on top of the 1.6 engines, metal ones on the earlier models and black plastic ones on the later models. you will have metal or plastic so simply make sure its the same on the car you remove them from.

Last edited:
Thanks jug. Could not find anything about my car on your posts, could you list a manual for me and a rough cost to get repaired, Many thanks.

cost to get repaired is £5 if you do it all yourself. at a garage i've heard of people paying £100-300. all you need is a single scrapyard injector and basic tools so i would not recommend going to a garage. if you do, then it would be wise to supply the injector to them.

to remove the injectors yourself you need to:

-remove the 2 bolts holding upper inlet manifold to head
-reomve 2 bolts holding dip stick to manifold and rotate the dip stick pipe out the way
-remove 5 torx bolts holding upper inlet manifold to lower inlet manifold
-remove the 2 fuel lines from the back left of the upper inlet manifold
-remove the 2 torx bolts holding the bracket for the 2 fuel lines to the upper inlet manifold (back left)
-raise the upper inlet manifold a few inches by wedging something underneath it.
-remove the bracket at the right hand side of the lower inlet manifold. cant remember what its for but theres 2 bolts, one at top one at bottom. bottom one is hard to get at. use an open ended offset spanner.
-remove the 3 torx bolts that hold the fuel rail to the head
-pull the fuel rail (hard) so the injectors are clear of the head
-slide the fuel rail to the right so it can be removed, this may require the battery to be removed for clearnance, and the fuel lines will need to be slid along to the right as well
-remove the fuel injector wiring harness from the fuel rail
-remove the injectors (each one has a metal clip)

the haynes manual tells you to remove the lower inlet manifold as well, this is not neccessary if you use the "slide to the right" method, and avoids the need to buy a new manifold gasket.

Back