Technical Does the petrol cap lock on a GP?

Currently reading:
Technical Does the petrol cap lock on a GP?

koksy

I say "does the petrol cap lock" but what i really mean is "how does it lock" as I'm sure it must lock to pass an MOT surely? Is it attached to the central locking? I just this evening noticed that, even with the car locked by central locking, i can still open the flap and unscrew the petrol cap on my 6 months old Grande Punto 1.4i Sporting... am I missing something here? :confused:

I don't think its linked to central locking. On mine I have to unlock the cap with the car key first before the cap is off; to lock it I simply turn the cap the other way.

As far as I know the flap does not lock in any way and the locking cap is an extra. By default you get a non locking cap.

Well i'm now £15.50 worse off having just been to Fiat to buy one. Couldnt see one on ebay and with it being parked outside I couldn't really wait for it to arrive anyway.

But I mean, really! What cheapskates Fiat are! It would probably cost them £5 to fit one as standard. They could even price the cars at £8000 instead of £7995!!! Frankly I can't believe that any motor manufacturer is not fitting locking fuel caps as standard in this day and age. :mad:

It came as standard on my 1.9 :confused: Thought it would be the same across the range!!

My 1.4 Eleganza came with one, not sure if it was extra though. It opens with same key as ignition.

according to the fiat website the 07 sporting comes with one, don't know about the other models

My 1.9 Sporting also had it standard as did the 1.3 diesel that was on the lot...
:cool:

oh well... it's not like anyone is going to open the petrol cap and start stealing your petrol/diesel anytime soon. or is it? :p

the locking petrol cap costs 33€ and i've ordered it on my gp.

yes that is the thing with the tanks, the dealer said to me that it is nearly impossible for someone to steal the petrol from the tank and would take a very long and thin rod.

Will not stop someone putting something in though.

Agree - not too concern about people stealing petrol, but losers who have nothing better to do than to chuck garbage into the tank. So that means those without a cap lock, anyone can just open the petrol lid and unscrew the cap??

Back