Technical sometimes hard to get in 1st and 2nd gear

Currently reading:
Technical sometimes hard to get in 1st and 2nd gear

puntolover

hi all! i have a mk 1 punto and sometimes it is hard to select 1st and 2nd gear? when setting off it can be hard to get it in gear 1st time,i have to put it back in neutral then select the gear again for it to click in? and same with 2nd when im driving sometimes? it is a v reg and been looked after so i cant see the gearbox being knackered. can any1 help me cheers andy;)

thats normal as far as i know!

556325_6.jpg

ive heard that fiat changed the period that you have to change gear oil to every 40.000 miles try changing that, if i had a manual box i would do it every 30.000 considering how many people on here get problems with them.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please do not Email or PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead. Your reply may help someone else. Thank you

mine does the same....very annoying, especially when i drove it 4 the 1st time...being a learner it scared the s**t out of me when i couldnt select 1st or 2nd gear. Least of me probs now though..got petrol leak and brakes arnt working too well at all :(

Mk1 Punto 1.2 60sx metallic green.......my beast!!

In fact, this problem CAN BE major - the cable connecting the clutch pedal to the clutch can get a bit loose (Fiat's using a plastic screw with a smaller metal screw on top, not very solid looking), and the car doesn't fully separate the gearbox from the engine when you shift gears. In the early stage, there's no clunking noise, just resistance on the gearstick - the noise first appears when you try to put in reverse, then sometimes on first and second. I nearly had a horrible incident because of this: I started overtaking a bus that was standing in the busstop, and a pedestrian ran out in front of the bus - I started breaking, but the road was wet and I started sliding, so I tried to shift down from 3rd to 2nd (the regular stuff), and all I got was a loud "krrrrr".... Even worse, I couldn't put it back into 3rd. Luckily, after hearing the noise the pedestrian jumped off the street, and I missed her, but continued sliding along, in the wrong side of the street. I took my car to a Fiat dealer and got horribly ripped off in the process, as usual.

Originally posted by joel
I thought the clutch in the punto wasnt connected with a cable?
thats what i thought its hydrolic isn't it[?]
i have an auto so am not sure.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please do not Email or PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead. Your reply may help someone else. Thank you

Im not really sure but I think so. I would love it to be connected with cable, then I could ask them to tension it a bit at next service :D but as said, I think its hydralic.

so rubi has been well ripped off then[?] all they probably did was change gear oil.

as for selecting 1st and 2nd, check under the bonnet that the gear linkages r all greased in the 2 main points, on top of the box and near bulkhead. mine was rough and just greased the, sweet now!!..

My Punto's original gearbox was always a cow to get into first (it broke last year, unrelated to the shift; the final drive went and only turned one wheel [xx(]).
I fitted another 'box from a scrap car which feels exactly the same, i.e. hard to engage first gear. As far as I know it's a common fault - in fact, if you find a Mk1 Punto 55/60 with a decent shift into 1st, it's probably faulty!! :p

<font size="5"><font color="black">/</font id="black"> F <font color="black">/ </font id="black">I <font color="black">/</font id="black"> A <font color="black">/</font id="black"> T <font color="black">/</font id="black"></font id="size5">
<font color="navy">Punto 55SX</font id="navy">

On my Italian market 1996. Punto 55 SX there is a cable for the clutch. I could post a pic if you're interested. It could be that the newer models, or models with diferent engines, have hydraulic, but this is a nice wire, with a funny plastic screw for ragulating tension.

It seems to happen with all puntos,dont worry about it tho.

Back