General New Yellow JTD owner with a few rattles

Currently reading:
General New Yellow JTD owner with a few rattles

SwanseaStiloJTD

Hello All

I picked up my 54 plate 3 door Stilo 1.9JTD in Yellow yesterday! Previously drove a Smart Roadster (yellow of course) which was absolutely dreadful!

I must say I am VERY impressed with the Stilo so far! Apart from a few rattles (passenger side dash at low speeds and behind speedo somewhere) any hints and tips for a newbie?

Thanks!

Guy

Hello All

I picked up my 54 plate 3 door Stilo 1.9JTD in Yellow yesterday! Previously drove a Smart Roadster (yellow of course) which was absolutely dreadful!

I must say I am VERY impressed with the Stilo so far! Apart from a few rattles (passenger side dash at low speeds and behind speedo somewhere) any hints and tips for a newbie?

Thanks!

Guy

Welcome fella, so far you done everything right. Stilo-JTD-Yellow, Yep, I got that rattle too, so much in common, hows your inner tyres?

They seem fine! Is there any way of curing those rattles? more of a creak than a rattle, or do they just come and go? the roadster used to have similar rattles which used to just come and go.

I was sick and tired of the roadie being so unreliable and buying a Fiat was a bit of a leap of faith, but the Stilo is just so good looking, especially in yellow, i couldnt resist!

The roadie was an 05 plate and in 20 months had the following.

1) Broken gearbox after 2 weeks
2) Engine misfire x 2
3) Leaks from wing mirrors, and roof, remedied with a new roof.
4) Same as number 3 a year later!
5) Water in the back light cluster screwing up the electrics (headlights flash when pressing the brake!)
6) Headlights only changeable at the dealer.
7) Leaks resulting in saturated carpets which rusted the seat rails!

Not brilliant considering they were meant to be built by merc! Anything particular on the Stilo worth looking out for? I have done a bit of research and it seems that the Diesels have less problems than the petrols, and by the 54 models most of the main niggles had been sorted out. Anything else worth looking for?

Guy

Only things to look out for really are

- make sure the spring recall has been done (which it probably has)

- move the overboost valve to the battery box

and get a remap :devil:

I had the rattle behind the instrument cluster which annoyed me that much that I kind of hit it and made a cracking noise when pulling off for a couple of months but now it's stopped :eek:

Only things to look out for really are

- make sure the spring recall has been done (which it probably has)

- move the overboost valve to the battery box

and get a remap :devil:

I had the rattle behind the instrument cluster which annoyed me that much that I kind of hit it and made a cracking noise when pulling off for a couple of months but now it's stopped :eek:

And how do i check for both of these???

This rattle behind the instrument panel must be very common as I get it too :( It's OK some days but not others so I assume that it's maybe temperature related.

Pity we can't find a solution.

Last edited:
How amusing, ive recently bought a roadie because i was sick of the unreliability of my stilo:p

RUN RUN WHILE YOU STILL CAN!!!!

Smart dealers are even worse than Fiat ones! Expensive servicing, parts and ridiculously high insurance for what it is.

Mine was great fun, but fundamentally flawed. and TOTALLY gutless!

RUN RUN WHILE YOU STILL CAN!!!!

Smart dealers are even worse than Fiat ones! Expensive servicing, parts and ridiculously high insurance for what it is.

Mine was great fun, but fundamentally flawed. and TOTALLY gutless!

All the time the cars under warranty i dont really mind how many times it goes back, plus so far the fun i have behind the wheel makes up for any small flaws ive had:D

Welcome to stilo ownership (y) and looking at your user name you are a fellow Welshy :worship: see the Events section for a meet on the 3rd of March ;) and the yellow :eek: well it will brighten up the meets at least ;) :D

Here's a tip for anyone with a curious rattle that seems to come from beyond the dash. Open the bonnet and make sure the foam padding located close to the hinges is properly stuck down. The adhesive Fiat use can 'die off' causing it to squeak against the underside of the bonnet. Also, check that the squeaking isnt coming from the rubber seals at the side of the windscreen wiper/airbox intake panel. These should be tucked in and not overlap the front wings. Its sometimes neccessary to give them a little squirt with silicone spray just to stop any vibration squeaking.

Another tip is just buy a huuuuuuuggggee pair of ear defenders (the type builders use) in a nice matching yellow colour, that way you won't hear any rattles or the annoyed beeps of peoples horns as you zooooooooom past them, ha ha ha

:slayer: Si

hi mate and welcome to the crazy gang good to have a fellow stilo dieseler in swansea look forward to meeting you at the morrisons meet be great to have another stilo there.

Back