Technical unidentified noise

Currently reading:
Technical unidentified noise

cipka

Hi to all!

This is my first post on this great forum.

Well i have a problem i don't manage to solve by myself, maybe you could help me.

About 1000km ago, my x1/9 started to make a strange noise while i was driving. I must say i had just hit a chunk of blown tyre on the motorway - that's maybe the reason.

So that noise is a sort of low and regular hum starting at about 50km/h, with pitch getting higher as i drive faster. The noise seems to come from the front of the car, does not depend on the gear or engine revs and is also present with clutch released.

I've already lifted the 4 wheels to check tyres and bearings, it all looked ok.

Any suggestion?

Thanks!

Hi to all!

This is my first post on this great forum.

Well i have a problem i don't manage to solve by myself, maybe you could help me.

About 1000km ago, my x1/9 started to make a strange noise while i was driving. I must say i had just hit a chunk of blown tyre on the motorway - that's maybe the reason.

So that noise is a sort of low and regular hum starting at about 50km/h, with pitch getting higher as i drive faster. The noise seems to come from the front of the car, does not depend on the gear or engine revs and is also present with clutch released.

I've already lifted the 4 wheels to check tyres and bearings, it all looked ok.

Any suggestion?

Thanks!

Sounds like wheel bearing. What you need to do is jack the car up, and spin the wheels and listen to the wheel bearings. Does the noise alter pitch if you go around a corner?

Andy.:)

Sounds like wheel bearing. What you need to do is jack the car up, and spin the wheels and listen to the wheel bearings. Does the noise alter pitch if you go around a corner?

Hi Andy! Thanks for your post, and sorry, i speak english like a polish burak and have nothing but cipkis in my head.
I actually already jacked up the car and spinned and shaken the wheels, and the bearings seemed ok. And the noise does not alter pitch when cornering.

Hi Andy! Thanks for your post, and sorry, i speak english like a polish burak and have nothing but cipkis in my head.
I actually already jacked up the car and spinned and shaken the wheels, and the bearings seemed ok. And the noise does not alter pitch when cornering.

Well, its something rotating and are you 100% sure its from the front end? So if it is, its wheel bearing, driveshaft CV inner joint, or brake pads sticking on discs. Does the noise go when you brake? Might be the inner hub bearing.

If it is from the front of the car then it can't be the CV joints...

The bearings on the X1/9 are "sealed" units and do not really respond much to lateral loadings. You could drive 20000miles on a worn bearing and it will just get noisier but still no detectable movement in the wheel from side-to-side which is the normal test.

Without spinning the wheels up as fast as you can manage it is very hard to spot which one could be at fault.

Other possibilities - final drive on the gearbox, inner CV joints (both would clearly sound from the rear not the front) or just something rubbing (possibly a brake shield).

Hi! and thanks for your kind inputs.

Hum... it's quite hard to be absolutely sure that the noise comes the front end. I wouldn't let my hand cut, if you see what i mean...

I doubt it comes from the CV joints. I needed replaced recently all the boots. I'll investigate further and let you know if i find something. Thanks!

Jack the car off the ground and run the car in gear and see if you can here the noise.

Back