Technical Bulb Failure Warning light on dash

Currently reading:
Technical Bulb Failure Warning light on dash

Brad

Hi I have a 2001 1.9 Jtd Stilo Dynamic which has a Indicator Bulb failure warning light and anoying "beep" every time I prees the brake pedal.
ALL the lights on the car are working fine !!
I have checked and read that sometimes the brake light sensor switch is to blame, can someone tell me where this switch is, do i need to remove all the plastic panel work in the foot well ?
Or is it likely to br another fault causing the warning to come up?
The car is over 2 years old so no more warrentty ( my dealer says) and my service light needs re-setting after I had the 36k service done at a Local Gararge rather than re-mortgage and go to Fiat !
Any help appreciated
Brad

Beep beep beep Bulb failure

Just in case anyone experiences this
Beep beep beep Bulb failure Rear fog
Beep beep beep Bulb failure Rr indicator>
Beep beep beep Bulb failure Rr brake light>
Well make your mind up! Which one? I check them out all working fine. Duh!

I remove the rear light cluster, not so bad as some cars. Check the bulbs- change them anyway- connect the electrics up back up before I put it back
Beep beep beep Bulb failure Rear fog. Jeez

Well there's only a few things that connect all that lot and it's got to be the actual connector to the rear light cluster making bad contact so I prised and pushed the connector contacts together a bit more and gave them a scrape to take off any crud and oxidation and hey ho no more errors. Must have been a bad earth contact. Well done Stilo!

Out on the road tonight
Beep! Oh no -wazzat?
Danger of Ice!

Hey Brill! Warnings that are actually true! Real warnings! Something useful- it works! I'm impressed!

Last edited:
Re: Bulb Failure

It triggers the bulb failure warning when the resistance is incorrect (broken bulb = max resistance, short circuit = min resistance) so I'd look for bad connectors and bad earths in that area

We don't have headlight failure warnings as the logic is "it should be obvious if they're gone". Would have been nice though as it might be just a dull day and not so obvious

Last edited:
'Bulb failure' warnings, but everything seems OK?

One month ago I got this message for the first time, checked front right light and it worked. Message was gone after few seconds, so I didn't pay much attention to this. Same message apeared maybe two times per week until three days ago. Now message is on all the time. Today I also got several times message that right rear indicator is not working, but it's fine.
What could be the problem for this silly behaviour? I have 2004 model, and I thought that electrical silliness was cured until 2004. :(

Re: 'Bulb failure' warnings, but everything seems OK?

faiure system covers brake,sidelights & number plate lights.If they are all ok & working then you either have poor connection or wrong wattage of bulb.

The system worked perfectly on my 02 JTD recently. (brake light failure).

Does it not indicate which side is the problem - with an arrow?

It does, but lights are working normally.

An easy trick, if you don't mind a bit of work, is too swap the suspect bulbs right to left hand side etc.

If the problem switches sides then you know for a fact you've got an intermittent bulb but more than likely the problem will disappear.

my drivers side headlight has blown twice and it doesnt give you any warnings on the dash ive also replaced to driver side brake lights although it does warn you that the stop light is out

Your Stilo isn't beng silly, it's being much smarter than you give it credit for:D
It's telling you the resistance is wrong and identifying exactly where the problem is, even before you notice or experience a fault and you can bet that it's dead right

So as T1 says, it's either a wrong or duff bulb ( but then i'd expect it to happen every time you started) or a poor contact point in that circuit

It's one of the first jobs I had to do on a Stilo

Headlights aren't part of the bulb check system as it assumes you can spot that easily on your own:)

Last edited:
Did you ever find a resolution to this issue? My dealership told me that I would have to buy a whole new headlight unit which I think is Bull!!!!

Try replacing the bulb. Even if the bulb looks fine, works and lits up while braking, it's worn, and produces a signal that exceeds the body computers fault tolerance (voltage or resistance I guess). Mine has also been acting like this last year, so I just replaced the bulb and it's been fine since. If you compare the bulbs you will see the metal inside (wolfram?) is pretty worn and propably creates a higher resistance than allowed. Just a thought.

I had had the same problem with my 02 stilo and there is a really easy fix. take the rear light cluster out and the socket that connects to the light itself clean with electical cleaner and cotton wool buds to rub this on. sounds stupid i know but stilo are very touchy on voltage drops and bad connection creates resistance and the you get the warning light even though they work. mine has done it twice but usally goes away for a year when i clean it. hope this works for you anyway

As previously mentioned it’s a faulty bulb I had the same thing fitted new bulb no more warnings.

1.4 with bulb failure warnings - help!

Hey, my dad has a fiat stilo 1.4, since day one it has been beeping and saying "rear fog bulb failure" and sometimes "indicator failure" or something, it does it daily, my dad should have took it back on the day he got it but sadly he didnt.
It has been back and forth to a fiat garage and its still not fixed, so now my dad wants to part exchange it and get another car which will mean he will be in even more debt :(
but he is sick of the beeping. I REALLY hope you can help. Thank you! :bang:

I asked him if the bulbs have been checked and he told me the garage would have checked them :idea: help ty :cry:

re: 1.4 with bulb failure warnings - help!

My stilo is doing this at the moment, but its because the bulb has blownin the left cluster for brake/fog i think. Just need to actually do it but the sub is in the way.

Get in the car and check the bulbs yourself - cant go wrong then.

When you change the bulbs you will see the cluster power connector, just make sure its not dull looking - this could cause the warning - its done this to me on cars before ;)

Wouldnt change it at the moment, stilos go for next to nothing depending on what year it is - last thing you want to be doing at the moment is borrowing money.

Dan

re: 1.4 with bulb failure warnings - help!

Used to get it on the fog on my 1.6 it was a bad earth so you need to look at the earth conections to the cluster and the bulb for the fog ..make sure everything is nice and clean..

Back