Technical 1978 128 gearbox

Currently reading:
Technical 1978 128 gearbox

tarmac terrorist

hey all does anyone know as to wether or not there is a direct replacment gearbox that i can use from a more recent fiat model (tipo,uno etc) as third has packed up don't mind if its a 5 speed

its a 1300 sohc

thanks for any help in sorting this

You can use gearbox from Ritmo Regata Strada from engine type 138 there was too many modification of this engine and its come from type 128.
You can use it but be carefull because that models had two types of gearboxes - shifting - top and bottom.
Gearboxes from 1500ccm up are bigger so it will not passing.
On Fiat 128 was only bottom shifting i think.

hey all does anyone know as to wether or not there is a direct replacment gearbox that i can use from a more recent fiat model (tipo,uno etc) as third has packed up don't mind if its a 5 speed

its a 1300 sohc

thanks for any help in sorting this

Hiya, I have had a few 128 3p's and two of them were fitted with the strada 65 and 75 5 speed gearbox. They were fitted very easily, using the original 3p driveshafts (which only needed a minor mod according to my mechanic) The original gear linkage was also used, although I remember that to select 5th, you had to 'push down' and then across and forward, (as if to initially select reverse on the 128 gear change when I say press down) I did not have any problems with the clearance of longer 5 speed box on the inner chassis leg of the 3p, but I believe that some other 128 models may need the chassis leg modifying. (unsure of which one tho, sorry!) Hope this is of help.

If you have a 128 saloon the 5 speed will unfortunately bang on the sway bar even if it is at the normal ride height.:cry:

Scott.

Back