General Broken Pipe

Currently reading:
General Broken Pipe

asaywell

Hello,

Having had a problem with the Slave cylindar, and Sunwin having managed to fix that after 3 attempts.

They have broken a pipe at the front of the car, i was washing the car this morning, and spotted a pipe at the front of the car was broken.

The pipe is attached to an air duct attached to the very front of the engine bay, this then attached to a big box which then goes into the engine.

The pipe that is broken is attached to the air duct at the front, its difficult to describe, does anyone know what this very small box does?

Im going back again to have ago at someone.

If someone could help me to understand what it does, that would be great, i could take a photo if that would help.

Thanks

Andy

Right,

I have attched the photos.

Fiat would have needed t remove these pipes in order to get to the slave cylindar, what is most disapointing is the fact they have tried to glue the problem.....

Attachments

• RIMG0069.jpg
    RIMG0069.jpg
    334.3 KB · Views: 39
  • RIMG0070.jpg
    RIMG0070.jpg
    329.5 KB · Views: 38
What model is the car? Thats not a fast warm up thingy is it?

To be honest, I cant be certain but it looks like a device that senses outside temperature and or airflow (could be a MAS pipe if I were to digress), compares this with radiator temperature and controls the coolant fluid through the engine. Dont know much about the Fiat engine, but they used a similar system on the Vectra to decrease warmup times and assist in defrost. Are you noticing any delay in engine warming to running temperature?

On the other hand, I could be way off the mark. Don't know a great deal about Fiat engines.

Deckchair or some of the other gurus on here will probably respond soon and make me look like a nonce.

Deckchair (as you will soon find out) is not human. He is a cross dimensional being that knows how to fix anything on a Stilo. Prey that he uses his TARDIS and just happens to visit this forum soon.

Are you quite sure it was broken when they did the job or could it have been glued before and they just upset the bond?

Hi mate,

no problems with it getting warm, 3 mins till i get a good flow of hot air, the seal could have been glued before and they have just dislodged it, i know it wasnt like that when it went to the fiat garage, and i feel sure that it shouldnt be glued the way it has been......

I normally clean the car every 2 weeks, i cleaned it the weekend before it went in, and i would have seen it as it ois very noticeable.

Thanks for helping though!

Andy

Oooo That looks like the main air intake tube into the resonator box and air filter. That was clumsy of somebody at the garage, unless it was a bodged fix prior to going in.

It'll probably just make the intake noisier as it is but it's down to them to replace it if they did it. Is the glue fix old looking? Can't imagine how they did that if they did, the slave cylinder is pretty easy to replace

Last edited:
Deckchair,

there is one big pipe which is attached to the front of the car, which goes into a big box which links to the top of the engine, the pipe just off it is the one that is broken.

So is this ok to drive? i will need it to go 15 or so miles to the garage, but thinking about it, this would have been like this for a week or so.

Andy

Personally it wouldn't bother me to drive it like that, as you say, it's probably been like that for a while

But if your engine backfires and catches everything alight then I never heard of you right?:)

Mind you all that plastic tubing wouldn't last long then either. If you have to pay for replacement then it might be better time to think of an induction kit?

Last edited:
Thats cool.

I aint seen you!

Well, Sunwin Renult on Haydn Road in Nottingham, used to do the Fiat Warranty work, but last week they lost the franchise of Fiat, so i will never have to deal with the idiots there again.

The fiat warranty has moved a few roads down to sandicliffe, so im off there tomorrow to see what they say!

Thanks for all the help guys.

Andy

Back