Using TomTom One navigation system

Currently reading:
Using TomTom One navigation system

I am considering buying a TomTom One navigation system and I wondered if anyone in the group could comment on how easy it is to use in a GP.

Specifically I have wondered if the long sloping windscreen may make it difficult to find a convenient position for mounting using the supplied suction pad - ie it will either have to be too high up, or too far away. If it is high up the charging cable to the cigarette lighter socket is likely to be a nuisance.

Any comments appreciated.

James

I am considering buying a TomTom One navigation system and I wondered if anyone in the group could comment on how easy it is to use in a GP.

Specifically I have wondered if the long sloping windscreen may make it difficult to find a convenient position for mounting using the supplied suction pad - ie it will either have to be too high up, or too far away. If it is high up the charging cable to the cigarette lighter socket is likely to be a nuisance.

Any comments appreciated.

James

Try tilting it and mounting it on the A-Pilar window that's where I put my TomTom although it wasn't the One version. As far as the windscreen goes it will go anywhere.

Try tilting it and mounting it on the A-Pilar window that's where I put my TomTom although it wasn't the One version. As far as the windscreen goes it will go anywhere.

NO way will it fit there if you use the standard tomtom ONE holder, let you off seen as though you don't have one:p

The holder that you get with the ONE is really small. I either mount mine in the middle of the windscreen but it fits fine right next to the a-pilar window even with it powered from the car as the cable tucks neatly behind the steering wheel without much obstruction.

I use a Navman 503 because it came with all the maps for europe and a remote control - very important I think in a GP because the screen is so far away. It was just a shade over £200. No problem at all fits nicely centre screen. Everyone seems to think Tom Tom these days because of all the marketing. I've used both often and the Navman is just as good except you can't download all the silly voices and warning noises to it.

My cheap Garmin came with a Disc which is stuck to the dash (the sticky pad is useless on the textured surface) but a Drop or two of Araldite epoxy solved that problem :eek: then you stick the suction cup to that.. the daft thing is araldite will just peel off which i wont need to do till i sell the car....

Just a point on sticking to the dash, it is quite neat and easier to reach but the satellites are blocked more by the roof in some instances so you might have more problems with them geting lost. The centre of the windscreen is best in this respect. That's why I wanted one with a remote control.

not had a problem with my Garmin aquiring satalites even on tree lined streets, suppose it depends on the quality of the antena along with the atmospheric condititions, cloud cover ect. My hand held GPS unit i have for mountain biking regularly drops reception in dense woodland... i dont have a solar reflect/ heated windscreen either which also blocks the signal apparently,,

I have a tomtom one and it fits nicely to the lower right of the windscreen. I can still reach it to tap thing in. and the cable , i don
t use as i charge it up in the house.

I have a tomtom one and it fits nicely to the lower right of the windscreen. I can still reach it to tap thing in. and the cable , i don
t use as i charge it up in the house.

i have it in exactly the same place and the cable fits fine round the back of the steering wheel just a little annoying around the gear stick but nothing major

Back