Technical Sporting Front Strut

Currently reading:
Technical Sporting Front Strut

BIGECK

I've just removed my Cinq sporting front strut & to my dismay the spring pops out as soon as the strut top nut is undone.:confused:
I'm having trouble refitting the strut. The spring compressors seem to prevent the strut from fitting back where it should.
What's the best way to refit the strut?

Dear God -- I've heard of people doing themselves serious injury doing it like that. (n)

The proper way to do it is addressed in one of the guides here.

But, in brief: loosen the top nut but do not undo. Remove strut/spring assembly intact from the car, compress the spring with spring comressors, undo top nut, release compression on spring.

Assembly is the reverse of disassembly. Do it on the bench, not on the car!(y)

I'd split the bottom balljoint, split the track rod end, undo the clip on the big end of the inner cv boot, pull the strut off, rebuild carefully on the floor, making sure the spring compressors don't move as you tighten them as a compressed spring breaking loose will remove your head in a very quick and messy manner.
Refitting is the reverse of removal:)

I'd split the bottom balljoint, split the track rod end, undo the clip on the big end of the inner cv boot, pull the strut off, rebuild carefully on the floor, making sure the spring compressors don't move as you tighten them as a compressed spring breaking loose will remove your head in a very quick and messy manner.

No need to pop the ball joints, Its a semi strut so just undo the two clamp bolts and take the strut body out, reassemble in a vice and refit.

Cheers

D

I've seen the post & realise what I've done:bang:
I need to undo the 3 nuts holding the strut top & then rebuild it all & refit to the car(y)

Take a peek at the guide: all that splitting is unecessary (contrary to Haynes and accepted practice).:slayer:

Bah, bloody double post!

I'm sure you all said it before, but i typed it up for the other thread, and am not gonna waste my precious time :D

KRITIP IN OTHER THREAD said:
:eek:

you removed the top nut without compressors!!!!!

Anyways, glad your still alive and able too see/type :p

how do you mean, fit properly? just compress the spring, fit it over the shock/damper, place the top strut bearing etc back on, and the top nut. refit top nut, release compressors, fit to car. Clamp top mount bearing plate, and torque up.

If the spring isn't in its rubber mould properly, just rotate the compressed spring?

Or have i got this all wrong?

Kristian

You shouldn't remove the shock nut until the whole shocker is off the car. You should only undo the three mounting nuts before removing the shocker as a unit.

Put the compressors on the spring and wind them down as far as you can, then re-assemble the top section of the shock and put the nut back on and give it 3-4 full turns (make sure it cannot come lose). then refit the shocker.

Once back in place tighten the top nut.

(y)

Back