General Newbie with questions that are probably obvious to the regulars.

Currently reading:
General Newbie with questions that are probably obvious to the regulars.

Kowalski

Hello,
I am new to the forum and will be looking into buying a Barchetta in the new year.
I have read a good deal of the posts in the Barchetta side of this forum but still have the odd question.

One of which is what needs changing on a European Barchetta to make it UK legal.
Obviously the lights will need to be altered but anything else?

I can live with the speedo in Km's but do the European ones have side repeaters? I am sure they do but just checking.

Anthing else that I should know about, has anyone ever imported one personally, ie drove one back from the Continent?

Thanks in advance.

what needs changing on a European Barchetta to make it UK legal?

Just the lights, also dont forget to remove the little round wheel thing that can be found on the left side of the dash, it needs sticking on the other side but dont panic its a simple job that should only take you 5 mins or so :D

(y)

PS Side repeaters are not a problem as all B's are the same.

Thanks for the reply fella, I'm not arsed about it being cack handed, my other vehicle is also a factory reject!;)

I have been doing some research and fog lights have come to my attention, can you buy a UK lens cover for the right hand side and wire a fog light up? Or do the Euro ones have a factory fog light built in?

My Brother-in-law reckons messing with the headlights is a pain in the arse to do. I'm driving to Spain via France next year in my B and asked him about re-aligning the headlights. he went into one about it! LOL!

I think the rear fog light and reverse light need to be swapped too.

Also, someone told me that the speedo needs to be in MPH to pass an MOT. I managed to get a MPH speedo, but after a few failed attempts to fit it, I still haven't got round to doing a proper job. (Not enough time, not enough light! Sorry Doc! It WILL happen soon! LOL). I dunno if it will fail or not with a KMPH speedo TBH...

DJ OD

So do Euro Barchetta's have a factory fog light? The would make it a bit easier if they do.

MPH/KPH speedo has no effect on the MoT.

Has anyone imported one themselves or does anyone have any contacts over in Euroland?

I might get slated for this next comment but here goes, I think I will get one from Germany as opposed to Italy, or France or Holland for that matter. When I have been out there I have been impressed at how nice they keep their vehicles, always look imaculate.

Have found a website mobile.de anyone got any better ones.

Hi
Fog lights on the front are an option when ordered from Fiat and the back is standard.

If you want a Barchetta from Germany then its easy as looking on eBay.de type Fiat barchetta and work down the listings until you find a few cars.

Make sure you get all the correct paper work Fiat Certificato Di Conformita Cee and the German Registration certificate (Fahrzeugbrief)
The car should also have a report about a general car inspection ('Hauptuntersuchungsbericht, TV )

Below is a PDF with info on bringing the car Back into the UK

http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_roads/documents/pdf/dft_roads_pdf_506867.pdf

Hope this helps
Doc Orange Peel

(y)

PS make sure you take into account all the flights and travel costs into the final purchase figure.
(y)

By UK law the rear fog lamp has to be on the offside the reverse lamp doesn't matter but has no where else to go other than the nearside. Front fog lamps don't matter as the light spread is the same here or in the EU.

My Barchetta was imported from Italy (ok yes they all are) but was sold in Italy as new. I have all the import documents which remains with the car if you need to know what you need. There is a converter that can be attached to change the speedo from Kmh to Mph although you do get to keep the scale so mine has 240mph on the clock :) The converter also changes the mileometer to Miles so take note for correct milage of the car the first 56,000 in the clock was kilometeres the next 20,000 has been in miles so has a total milage of 53,000 miles although it shows 70,000 odd.

Thanks for the input some great advice on here.
I will be looking into getting one in the new year between February and April, long story but just cannot get one at the moment.
I have an idea what I want and a list of priorities so will keep you posted.
(Paperwork, Low mileage, Hard top, Leather plus others)

I think I have read pretty much all the pages in the Barchetta area of this forum which has given me a good insite into the model, what to look for and what to avoid etc. (good job I am in work at the moment and getting paid while I read all this!)

Thanks again
N.

Back