Personal statement time...

Currently reading:
Personal statement time...

Right i NEED... yes NEED to go to uni.. so it seems it's time to write my perosnal statement.

thing is i have absolutly no idea how to go about writing it... anyone fancy giving me some ideas... theres got to be a kind of formula to writing a decent PS.

especially if any of you guys are currently at uni (or have been at uni) studying computing, as this is what i'd idealy like to do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Owen

depends what uni you're applying to. if its sunderland, teeside or northumbria (or any 'new' uni) just write your name down and you'll get in guaranteed, in fact i bet its the same with most uni's.

there's literally thousands of websites that offer personal statement templates and advice, even sample ones you can copy.

i've been to 2 uni's so i had to write 2 personal statements. in both I simply expained the reasons why I wanted to study the course in question (also did computing my second time at uni), and tried to give the impression that I wouldnt quit in 2 months like most people.

most people cover the 3 main points:
1. Why do you want to study this subject?
2. What have you done in the past that makes you particularly suitable to study the subject?
3. What else have you done that would contribute to the course and the university community and makes you an interesting and unique individual?

most uni's want to accept you more than you want to get on the course. they get paid for it. give them half an excuse and they'll take you in. you've got nothing to worry about unless you're applying for a seriously oversubscribed course at a popular uni. if thats the case you need to compete for your place, and the best way to do that is with grades and impressing at interview, personal statements can be the deciding factor on getting an interview, so its worth putting a bit of effort in if you expect places to be limited on the course you want to do.

read these for tips and plenty of examples you can use ;)
http://www.universityoptions.co.uk/parents/4/3.asp
http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/pw/p_perstate.html
http://www.getintouni.com/
http://www.kent.ac.uk/careers/cv/PersonalStatement.htm
http://www.brookes.ac.uk/bigfoot/personal_statements

ucas is slow. you don't need to use it.

with this new £3k for everybody, basically they'll let anyone into pretty much any university, unless you have NO qual's whatsoever. in which case here at sunderland, they'd probably let you in for the hell of it

faster4_tec said:
unless you have NO qual's whatsoever. in which case here at sunderland, they'd probably let you in for the hell of it

very true, but not neccesserily a bad thing. for some students it means you study with a less capable peer group, but it also means many people who couldnt go to uni a few years a go have the opportunity now.

i know plenty of intelligent people who failed all their gcse's and never went to college simply because they made a mess of school. they deserve a second chance. once you grow up and regret your mistakes you should have the chance to do something about it. open access unis make that possible.

faster4_tec said:
ucas is slow. you don't need to use it.

with this new £3k for everybody, basically they'll let anyone into pretty much any university, unless you have NO qual's whatsoever. in which case here at sunderland, they'd probably let you in for the hell of it
how do you do that then? just send a letter directly to the university? yeah i am applying through ucas... and yes.. i get the feeling i am leaving it a bit late... at college no one has even mentioned ucas to us yet... i made the mistake of assuming that there would be a massive push for us all to get stuff done... i'm thinking of applying to bournemouth... maybe a london one aswell, and hertfordshire... i need to read up on all this :( Thanks for all the help so far :D Owen

All applications for uni have to go through UCAS, and it's certainly not too late!

October 31st was the Oxbridge deadline "in my day" and for medics/vets, apart from that, the deadline for everybody else I do not know, but you can apply well into next year as far as I know!

www.thestudentroom.com have a good PS section, not that I have ever used it.

The Negotiator said:
All applications for uni have to go through UCAS,

when i applied to sunderland i just phoned them up and they sent me an applic form. this was for an undergraduate application. it saved me paying the £15 ucas fee.

jug said:
when i applied to sunderland i just phoned them up and they sent me an applic form. this was for an undergraduate application. it saved me paying the £15 ucas fee.

so what, you rekon if i give all the uni's i want to apply to a call and ask them to send me down an application form this'll save doing everything via ucas?

is there an advantage of using ucas?

Owen

OXCiD3 said:
so what, you rekon if i give all the uni's i want to apply to a call and ask them to send me down an application form this'll save doing everything via ucas?

Owen

well i think there is as they sort things out, you only need to fill details out once etc

As far as I am aware, ALL new undergraduates going to do degree courses require you to use UCAS, be you a home or foreign student, maybe there are a few exceptions but I thought it was a rule - websearch suggests it is too. "Direct Entry" is a thing of the past.

exactly, for multiple applications ucas is easier, you only apply once. if you contact each uni seperately you get different forms from each one, and some uni's only accept applications via ucas for some courses, so you'd need to check.

OXCiD3 said:

Owen

There's no such thing as an application for that a university will provide you with to apply for a place, they will just direct you to UCAS. Most universities will not even be able to supply you with a UCAS form.

trust me i applied to sunderland with a non-ucas application form sent to me by sunderland uni. i also applied to northumbria the second time using their own form (after dropping out the first time), with no ucas involvement or fee. you can definately apply directly, or at least you could when i did it in 2000 and 2002, they dont advertise it anywhere, but all you need to do is ask.

Last edited:
Well dunno if you've decided how to apply yet, but i just thought i'd let you know that when i was gonna go uni next year, i was told by connexions and college etc that the UCAS online application deadline for applying for next year was 15th Jan but you can probs check that up on the actual site or something

Back