Technical Electronic Ignition Conversion

Currently reading:
Technical Electronic Ignition Conversion

Hi all,

Just joined. Bought my second X1/9 6 months ago. It's a 1980 1.5 litre Five Speed. My first one the ol' 1978 1.3 litre 4 speed is off the road many years growing ivy.

My question is has anyone converted their distributor from points to an electronic system using one of those kits available. I have not had any luck finding one.

I sent email to Pertronix and they say they don't have one for my distributor. The Marelli S135.

Any info on any available options would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Keith

Kieth,

The simplest option is to use an electronic ignition setup from a Fiat Uno with the 1300 engine. It is pretty much a straight swap but needs a bit of part mix-and-match to do the job properly as the distributor shafts are different lengths.

Next up as an alternative, I would suggest a Lumenition Optronic system if you can get one, not difficult here in the UK but I have no idea for you. This is a control module and parts to replace the points (and condenser) with an option to use a higher power coil (again from Lumenition).

The ultimate would be a complete mapped ignition system (megaspark is probably the cheapest DIY option) as this can be used to completely ditch the distributor and use a coilpack instead. If this appeals to you I would suggest getting onto the megaspark/megasquirt forums and talking to the guys on XWeb who have more than a little experience with the MS kits.

jimbro1000,

Thanks for the reply and the info.

I was hoping to get the Pertronix kit They do mention that they have one for the (USA?) 1974 model and that it is suited to the Marelli Distributor S153.

http://www.pertronix.com/ptx2007_cat/ptx_2007.pdf - page 6

But My distributor is a Marelli S135. Now is that a typographical error or did X1/9's have a Marelli S153 and a Marelli S135 or what?

I might have to call them I guess to make sure.

The Lumenition kit seems at least a possible option.

Regards

Keith

Hi Keith

Finally, Have you found the pertronix electronic ignitor for the Marelli S135, and do you know what is his reference number ?

Thanks

Regards

Hi Keith,

there seems to be a PerTronix one available (MR-145). See:

www dot vintageperformance.com/retrorockets/fiat.htm

Regards,
Dominic.

Hi
I stuck a Crane unit in my 1300 1979 X19 and it was very straight forward.
Took all of about an hour and the unit runs like a dream.
They have standard units that will fit a Marelli distributor and use existing mounting plate points screws. Timing is pretty straight forward and the instructions provided make it even easier.
Crane 700-0292 kit
Regards Jeff

Back