Don't car drivers make you mad?

Currently reading:
Don't car drivers make you mad?

For me, after a hard day, there's nothing better and more stress relieving than taking my bike out in the cold and "razzing" it through the local (and very large park).

The park has no lighting and there was NO ONE around tonight so I cut my cycle short - not a good place I expect to be if there's someone dodgy around. So i came back early and on the way back I go past this house with a guy who drives a Fiat Coupé, when I did my paper round I used to deliver there and he seemed an ok kkind of guy.

Was cycling towards his house when he slowly backs his car out, I cycle up the 10 metres and start to go around him (reversing out of a drive doesn't get priority over anyone, even a bike!) Next thing I know he is nearly reversing into the side of me (even after he appeared to stop to let me past..) and nearly knocks me off my bike. So much so I go hard right and stop before hitting the kerb (thin road).

As you can imagine I am pretty angry by now, he had ignored me and then nearly hit me without look. Still completely oblivious of the fact I am there he procedues to finish the turn and drives up the short stretch of road to the junction.

On my bike I have my old custom built headlight system, 12v 5watt spot and 10 watt spotlights which once aimed at a good angle can light up a car's number plate at 200 metres+ (i.e. powerful bike lights) So, me being annoyed, i turn my 10watt spot on (usually cycle on roads with 5 watt as it is 3 x the power of any other bike light on its own!) and it has the affect of main beam on him, especiallybeing slightly higher. He then stops, gets out his car as I cycle past on the otherside and shouts "What the f**k you tihnk you're doing?"

I reply "Check your mirror, you nearly killed me you arrogant idiot (i can't believe i said that)"

I VERY QUICKLY cycled off before he got in his car and he didn't follow anyway.

AHHH! IT'S ENOUGH TO STOP ME CYCLING IF IGNORANT IDIOTS LIKE THAT INSIST ON NOT BEING CAREFUL.

Morale of my little story: Get powerful bike lights and get your own back!

Oh and as we are all car drives, look out for cyclists FGS!

Paul

My first signiture (a lot of thought put into it): If you can't find the switch to switch your fogs off I am sure I can help you! Damn fogs.

Paul be careful! i know that wasn't ur fault, but you don't want to go angering people in Fiat Coupes when your riding a bicycle.
you should have learn't your lesson with the Golf GTi episode!! lol

glad u weren't hurt tho mate :D

GoGoCinquecento, your burning up the quater mile!!

I know, i know, i am an idiot for getting angry. Something in my head is telling me to stand up for myself too often at the moment, I think I blame stress ;). I could have outrun him, I was only 50 metres from a 3 metre wide alley way impossible for cars and had a slope with me. Still not my greatest hour again.

I think he may have recognised me when he saw me and not followed because of it but aghhh, the little things in life that **** you off. I don't need to be killed by some idiot.

Cheers for your sympathy but it isn't deserved, I was an idiot for rising to the bait.

Bet he was surprised at being blinded by a bike hahahahahah!

Paul

My first signiture (a lot of thought put into it): If you can't find the switch to switch your fogs off I am sure I can help you! Damn fogs.

Which park's this, Paul?

Steve the geriatric Panda and Beagle freak

G781 TUT: White Panda 1000CL - 31-08-1989 to 09-03-2004 (may she rest in pieces :()
J154 FMX: Red Panda 750L in good condition - waiting for me to rescue it :)

Woodthorpe park.

So you were doing some downhill racing? [8D]

G781 TUT: White Panda 1000CL - 31-08-1989 to 09-03-2004 (may she rest in pieces :()

lol. Well, if you do my loop at woodthorpe it is quite good but VERY scary in the dark. Start at the top at the big house place and go down the right side of the park, follow down through the secluded flower garden on the right (not the main gardens at the top left) and follow down the right side of the golf patch of the hard and smooth surface, past that train thing they have put there and push hard over the masses of tree trunks (caution: my friend broke his collar bone on those!) under the path and fly up on the bottom field, lasts less than 90 seconds and you die at the end because you forgot to breath. Then it's just a 10 minutes cycle back to the top to start again!

Wouldn't do it in the dark even with my lights, could come off in so many places and no one would see me until the morning LOL!

The park is good but maybe to hilly for a cyclist (and bikes I tihnk are banned so evening is the only time you can use it). Was once told to "p*ss off" by the park attendent who lacked social skills for going down the main path at 5mph. (Granted I do it a LOT quicker in the evening but there are only a few dog walkers about).

Funny that - I've lived on the Arnold/Woodthorpe border for nearly 20 years but never set foot in the park.

I cycle past it every weekday on my 8 mile trip to work (Siemens, Beeston) but never think about going in. I must try your route and see if I can do it without coming off :)

Note: if this appears to be the Paul and Steve Show, then please note that we live within a couple of miles of each other ...

You cycle daily to Beeston, woh, more courage than me, it feels far on the train to Beeston! I did my young enterprise for a short while at Siemans Beeston and admire you for cycling that far. I couldn't go from my house to Aspley (school) more than once a week when I used to try.

Best park in the area Steve, especially since the improvements, has a waterfall (well, kind of), a "fake" train which shows how it use to have a railway through it which then went past near my house. Pitch and putt is a laugh and cheap fun! It is one of the best parks I have visited just has overally conscientious attendents during the day.

*still shocked you do that distance daily!*

You get used to it!

Another argument then...

CYCLISTS! If there's a cycle path/lane - GET OFF THE F*CKING ROAD!

cinqmeister.JPG

I hate drivers who don't look out for other road users. There are loads of horses round here so of course you have to be really careful when behind or going past them. It makes me mad when some people are trying to drive into their back legs - not like the horse is going to go any faster mate!

I also hate people who don't understand road signs and cause me to sit tooting my horn like a tw*t but that's another story [:(!]

<font color="violet">
. o O Helz O o .

Proud owner of a silver Baby Brava with a Smiley air freshener​
</font id="violet">

damn right.

Nearly got attacked by two right a****oles tonight.

**** in a Rover 200 tries to overtake me at traffic lights, not enough space. Had to brake hard, did the horns n'lights. He stops the car in the middle of the road (Couldn't drive around him) and him & his mate jump out shouting. Thumps on the bonnet, gives it the 'come on' bit. I'm thinking ho hum, bugger off, I wanna go talk to someone. Just sat there and smiled sweetly, he gets in the car and goes.

Thought for 2 seconds - "I could drive forward fast now, shatter your legs against the back of that rover, giggle and drive away" but blood and bone fragments are just, well, so difficult to polish out of silver.

Ho hum.

Pete.
1242cc cinq,turbo cinq,Cinqs&Seis Yahoo group,Clubcento

Wouldn't want to make a mess of your bumper Pete. Depends on your car wash though - give them a big enough tip and I'm sure they wouldn't tell.

<font color="violet">
. o O Helz O o .

</font id="violet">

What cycle lanes? Over the thousands and thousands of miles of roads in this country we have about 0.00001% of cycle lanes, the guy was unreasonable and unfair! It is illegal to cycle on the pavement so where am I supposed to ride to the park (where it is also not allowed to cycle!)

I agree with Helz, car drivers should look out more to others (like I try to do knowing the other side of the story). I shouldn't have said anything back but it was a "In the heat of the moment" thing.

I forgot I had another problem today ( i seem to get them all)

Driving down a side road (with plenty of spaces here and there) I see a taxi in the middle of the road. As i get closer I see it isn't parking and he is just sat there, waiting maybe. SO I slow down and get to him and sit behind him for about 10 seconds. He had a car on the left and a car on the right and the road was only that wide plus a metre each side of his car. So i flash my lights 3 times, nothing again after 5 seconds. So sat in the middle of a road and this guy is just sitting there. FInally a few seconds later I tap my horn, the guy looks around as if surprised someone is there and then starts his engine, pulls forward into a spare parking bit dead slowly and looks at me gone out.

Well sorry Mr Taxi man for wanting to drive down your personal parking place

I have too much inbuilt anger, i hope it dies down!

Sounds like my experience Paul so since you had your rant I hope you don't mind if I hijack your thread for mine so we can shake our heads and tut in annoyance.

There is a priority system near my house whereby the road narrows down to one car width and cars going one way have priority. This is clearly signed with signs and road markings. So today I have priority and the cars just keep on coming so I have to stop with *just* enough room for the car (coming at me at 30ish) to squezze through. Tap the horn, then about 5 cars try to squeeze through despite the fact I'M supposed to be going, NOT THEM. So I just sit on the horn until they all clear, with them looking at me like I'm stoopid. Finally some nice person realises I have priority so I can go (and gesture to thank nice lady). If I kept going could I be considered to blame for the accident since I saw them coming and had plenty of time to stop (then again I suppose they should have plenty of time to see me and stop and I do have priority over them)? Is it worth it just to prove a point?

Ta :)

<font color="violet">
. o O Helz O o .

</font id="violet">

Not a problem Helz, i seem to use the whole forum as a long rant about things I don't like!!

LOL, as a matter of opinion only, don't risk damage to your nice car for that point. I could do it with my Uno, it's not worth anything lol! I have met that problem exactly so many times going down one of the roads towards town here in Nottingham. The worst thing is when (as you suggest) they just keep coming and have the idea "that guy got through and i am 20cm from his bumper so it's not going to make any difference right?". It makes me so mad and when your crawl forward to force your way through they look at you gone out. This is especially true for me driving a small old car and they look at you as if you should wait for them!

Neither you or I have much experience of how driving was 20 years a go but maybe a more experienced (but still realistic) person can give their viewpoint of whether 1) it has got worse due to a higher density of cars or 2) People have become less respectful to other drivers/road users.

I hate using my horn and do it at the last oppotunity, it doesn't seem to make any difference anyway for me, just get the finer for their stupidity.

What I don't understand is whether or not I p*ss people off in the same way people annoy me. I never think I do and try to be a respectful driver but maybe everyone else does just it's inevitable there will be misunderstandings etc.?

Paul

Originally posted by cinqmeister
Another argument then...

CYCLISTS! If there's a cycle path/lane - GET OFF THE F*CKING ROAD!

cinqmeister.JPG
I know what you mean our local council spent thousands of pounds on cycle paths, but only kids use them adults seem to think its degrading to use them or something and still drive in the road, and the roads are not wide enough to overtake them because the council also put in cycle crossings with center islands, causes lots of hold up in rush hour.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please do not Email or PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead. Your reply may help someone else. Thank you

Also why do cyclists think they don't have to stop at a junshion often i drive along and a cyclist comes straight out of a side road without looking.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please do not Email or PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead. Your reply may help someone else. Thank you

Back